seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
I bought a solid axle first gen Tacoma on 37s. Most of the hard work is done but I got plenty of mods coming up. :)

Sad to see the Tundra go, but excited for a new project.

seanpistol

Explorer
150k 3.4L 5 speed
4.88 gears, detroit lockers, 37" MTRs
dana 44 from a Wagoneer
trail gear springs front and rear

First things on the list is to ditch the detroits for ARBs and add hydro-assist

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Nice rig. The 5VZFE 3.4 is a great engine. It'll take a lot of abuse and keep on ticking. However I'd lose the 37s and get 35s. The v6 isn't a powerhouse haha.

seanpistol

Explorer
37s are staying. With the 4.88s and the manual, the truck surprisingly gets up and goes just fine. Like to cruise at 75 on the highway.

Wheeled it today before I pull the Detroit lockers. Everything is so easy. And so fun. Hydro assist and swapping the lockers are the highest priority.

I have some pretty good rub on the back of the wheel well from the 37s. Pretty sure I know how to make them fit. :D

seanpistol

Explorer
Haha, several people have asked me that. I have a buddy that throws a 174" track Ski-Doo T3 in his 02 Tacoma. Hangs out far, but he comes to Utah from Tahoe to ride and hasn't lost it!

May end up with another trailer, these springs are pretty soft. We'll see.

marathonracer

Adventurer
That must be quite the sight those are huge sleds, be must have a deck of some sort or his tailgate must just be folded! I get nervous hitting big frost heaves with my 137 in the tundra. You could always keep your springs and go for airbags with cradles.

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
Nice Tacoma, that will get you through serious terrain. I like that v6 engine, decent torque at 220 lb-ft, and I've read it truly is a non-interference engine and the timing belt is robust as it is.
I just looked at a 1998 1st gen last week but the frame was toast, ended up buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 2 solid axles stock and selec-trac 242 tcase with option of full time 4wd.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Yep, non interference.
I've personally seen trucks with over 200k on the original timing belt. (Wouldn't recommend! Hah)
The 3.4L is an amazing engine. Surprisingly simple and decent output for the competition at the time. And only 150k miles is barely broken in!
Ive put about 70k miles on my T100 3.4 since I bought it at 150k and its never given me a problem, as long as I take care of it! After I regeared it's much easier to climb the passes loaded down but still no where near modern V8 power.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179