SEMA Show 2023

Steve_382

Automatic leveling... I've been experimenting with microprocessor control of real-world components lately and thinking about suspension control. The first experiment was controlling suspension air-bag pressure with a microprocessor. This test setup is described in this post: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3114911

And this post shows the test setup in operation: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3115599

The second experiment was about attitude sensing - pitch and roll. In this next post I've got the microprocessor reading a 3-axis accelerometer and sending the pitch and roll data back to my laptop: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3117120

These experiments are just proofs of concepts to see if I could implement microprocessor control of real-world components and systems and I haven't done much yet beyond what's demonstrated in those posts, but what I've done could be used as the start of a self-leveling system for Jeeps or campers.
I think Liquid Spring is going to have campsite leveling on their F350 (and F550?) system soon if not already. Of course it can only level to the plus or minus 4" on each corner I think.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm going to gratuitously be "that guy".
Here's my Jeep at SEMA :LOL:
MORryde borrowed my JKU for SEMA (and a few other shows) for several years. I was very happy when they bought their own Jeep, it's a lot easier just to attend the show rather than have to deal with getting the Jeep into the show hall, setting up, tearing down and waiting hours to get the Jeep out of the hall.

PreShow3_zpsbmlwcsij.jpg

I'm back from my trip to India after the show. The long boring flights give my brain a chance to wander, I do some of my best design thinking on long flights and long road trips. I came up with a few new ideas for gear storage to try out, stay tuned. I'll also get back to work on the review of the new Auxbeam 12-gang switch panel system and I'll post that soon.

Frank Force

MORryde borrowed my JKU for SEMA (and a few other shows) for several years. I was very happy when they bought their own Jeep, it's a lot easier just to attend the show rather than have to deal with getting the Jeep into the show hall, setting up, tearing down and waiting hours to get the Jeep out of the hall.
It was a hectic experience, that's for sure. I managed to tear down and get out quickly by participating in the SEMA cruise. That was rather sloppily put together though.
What I was taken aback by was the rampant thievery that was taking place near the end of the final day. We had to literally post watch at both sides of the booth, and we still caught a handful of people trying to grab stuff.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It was a hectic experience, that's for sure. I managed to tear down and get out quickly by participating in the SEMA cruise. That was rather sloppily put together though.
What I was taken aback by was the rampant thievery that was taking place near the end of the final day. We had to literally post watch at both sides of the booth, and we still caught a handful of people trying to grab stuff.
The thievery is sad- but a sign of the times. I thought only industry people with badges got into Sema?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The thievery is sad- but a sign of the times. I thought only industry people with badges got into Sema?
Last year they started allowing non-industry members in on Friday. I think the cost was $75. I took this photo last year on Friday morning, the line for these tickets extends all the way to the horizon on the right side of the photo and I believe it wrapped around another hallway after that. This is one reason I didn't stay for Friday this year, it's a total zoo and a waste of time for most of the vendors.

FridayLine.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Last year they started allowing non-industry members in on Friday. I think the cost was $75. I took this photo last year on Friday morning, the line for these tickets extends all the way to the horizon on the right side of the photo and I believe it wrapped around another hallway after that. This is one reason I didn't stay for Friday this year, it's a total zoo and a waste of time for most of the vendors.

View attachment 806975
You think enough kickback from vendors would put a stop to this. I used to do trade shows and it always amazed me with certain crowds they thought they could walk away with displays…

toddz69

Explorer

View attachment 806975
I'm totally opposed to this change! I saw it happening last year and I'm making sure I'm never around there on Friday in the future. I don't understand why SEMA is trying this except to "grow the experience" and make more $$$..

Todd Z.

Bobzdar

Observer
Automatic leveling... I've been experimenting with microprocessor control of real-world components lately and thinking about suspension control. The first experiment was controlling suspension air-bag pressure with a microprocessor. This test setup is described in this post: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3114911

And this post shows the test setup in operation: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3115599

The second experiment was about attitude sensing - pitch and roll. In this next post I've got the microprocessor reading a 3-axis accelerometer and sending the pitch and roll data back to my laptop: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3117120

These experiments are just proofs of concepts to see if I could implement microprocessor control of real-world components and systems and I haven't done much yet beyond what's demonstrated in those posts, but what I've done could be used as the start of a self-leveling system for Jeeps or campers.
Maybe it belongs in your land Rover thread, but they have auto leveling systems for air suspension equipped land rovers. They also allow for adjustable ride height etc., here's one of them: https://www.xlifter.com

Frank Force

As others pointed out, on the final day they allow people who purchased tickets to the "SEMA Experience" into the show. It's not solely them that cause issues though. Although it's "Industry" folk that at the show the other days, it doesn't take much to meet the criteria to get credentials. Although the overwhelming majority of industry folk that I spoke to were cool, professional, and looking to do business, a small percentage were only there to get as much free stuff as possible. It's frustrating when you're speaking with someone wanting to discuss potential large wholesale purchases and some guy butts in with "Hey ya'll got any free t shirts?"
All-in-all it was a good experience, but you definitely have to closely watch anything that you didn't want taken.

@jscherb : It was definitely more crowded than that this year on Friday. I wasn't there last year, but the other exhibitors that I spoke to that were said that this year was far more crowded than the previous year.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
You think enough kickback from vendors would put a stop to this. I used to do trade shows and it always amazed me with certain crowds they thought they could walk away with displays…
This is the Friday/Sunday End of Event Mentality.....They literally think and express that since it's the end of the event AND you don't want to take all your displays, inventory, etc....back home that you'll deeply discount it or just give it to them. Heck, some will actually get into an argument with you about it because they "know" the trade show industry. Some of the most memorable times at shows was the end of show shut-down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior