Series upgrade questions

greenmeanie

Adventurer
A Series friend of mine in North Carolina fitted Hellas because they were readily available and cheaper than shipping from the UK - has anyone else done the same or have most lighting upgrades been through UK companies?

Has anyone fitted DI seats in a Series? I have a set but haven't measured them up yet - any information would be appreciated.

For halogen lights I merely buy the Silvannnia sealed beam halogens from the local Checkers/Autozone or whatever. IIRC the last ones I bought were approx $10 each. I think you can even get them in cool blue. Just make sure you power them through a relay on a direct feed from the battery for maximum output.

A good explanation of how to get the best ot of your lights:
Linky

For seats the big thing is that they need to have a fairly thin base so that you still have leg room under that big steering series steering wheel. You could hepl matters by going to one of those small dia aftermarket wheels but I always think they look a bit odd. I haven't heard of D1 seats being fitted but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Snagger

Explorer
I wanted to have easy access to the underseat fuel tanks, so a removable base cushion was essential. That's one of the reasons I used Defender seats. The other advantages were that the geometry is perfect because the seat bases are dimensionally identical, and I didn't even need to drill any bolt holes. there is also the benefit that they were used in late SIII SW Countys, so are technically "standard" so insurers and inspectors have no justification to complain about them.

Take a slim through my website to see the various mods I've made - it's a unique vehicle but uses almost exclusively standard mechanical parts and easily souced other parts.

Last edited:

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
For seats the big thing is that they need to have a fairly thin base so that you still have leg room under that big steering series steering wheel. You could hepl matters by going to one of those small dia aftermarket wheels but I always think they look a bit odd. I haven't heard of D1 seats being fitted but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Yeah, but if you go with a smaller steering wheel w/o power steering, you're going to get strong quick. So actually that might be a bonus, burn calories whilst motoring about.

KevinNY

Adventurer
A bunch of your questions have already been answered, take your time reading the responses.

If you get cross axled a bunch I already suggested a tru trac and a set of SeriesTrek axles and parabolic springs. If you have driven a series with original rusty springs the parabolics alone will be a big difference. Problem solved without butchering the suspension design or giving up road manners.

I have the Hella replacement headlamps, nice improvement over the old firefly in a jam jar lamps. This winter I will replace the headlamp harness with new wires/connectors and run relays for possibly even more improvement. Best price on them is from www.rallylights.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior