Shackles

Z71-K9

I was looking for some Van Beest Shackles today. Although I did not find any locally, I did find two other brands. Campbell-Made in China and Crosby-Made in Canada.

Any thoughts or experience of either brand?

I have all Crosby and most would agree they are the best money can buy, ask any Pro Rigging guys. Check the working load limit ratings on these for the size. compare WLL to anyone else's 3/4" shackle they don't even come close! Exception.... Columbus Mckinnon.... close but still second best! very nice though.

www.bairstow.com/media/pdf/specs/G209A138.pdf

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Van Beest, CM, Crosby, you can't go wrong with any of them.

3/4" anchor shackle WLL and design factors:
Van Beest - 4.75t - 6:1 design factor (Van Beest doesn't appear to have a screw pin alloy)
Midland (CM) - 7t - 5:1 design factor (alloy shackle, carbon shackle is 4.75t)
Crosby Alloy - 7t -5:1 design factor

Keep in mind the relationship between WLL and design factor. The design factor is the multiplier at which the shackle begins to deform, not where it breaks.
For winching I 'm comfortable with a 3:1 design factor, so I look at the manufacturer's numbers and calculate the size I want based on a 3:1 factor.
For instance, a CM 3/4" will begin to deform at 35t (based on their 5:1 design factor) so figuring a 3:1 factor for winching I'd be ok using it with an 11t winch.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I forgot to mention, a shackle is sized by the bow diameter, not the pin diameter. A 3/4" shackle typically has a 7/8" diameter pin. Something to keep in mind if buying for a specific location/usage.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I forgot to mention, a shackle is sized by the bow diameter, not the pin diameter. A 3/4" shackle typically has a 7/8" diameter pin. Something to keep in mind if buying for a specific location/usage.

That's a good reminder as it's a common misconception.

Z71-K9

Just for fun, I looked up Crosby Shackles on Amazon. Wow! Sticker shock. They had them from $6 to $1,999. I want to get 6 so I better shop around a bit more.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Don't limit yourself to just Crosby. Like I said, you can't go wrong with any of the three I listed.
Also, don't make assumptions on the WLL of a particular shackle. Even within the three mentioned they come in different WLL for a given size.
For instance, my Crosby 3/4" has a WLL of 4 3/4t while my CM 5/8" has a WLL of 5t and my Crosby 5/8" has a WLL of 3 1/4t

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Shackles are steel and don't break. They all work fine for what we do. If you are swinging your truck over a crowd for a few days then consider fancy ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998