Share pics and stories of your car, crossover or mini-van off-pavement adventures!

bloodycape

Observer
Getting back to more standard sedans, crossover SUVs, minivans and the like... Popular Mechanics put seven crossover SUVs through an off-road sand dune test, which you can read about here. Interestingly, they evaluated the Durango as the best off-road performer.
The Durango is no more a crossover than the 4runner or Grand Cherokee(which it incidentally shares a platform with) ind Yes it is a unibody platform, but last I check that platform is still pretty capable vs the others. Would actually make sense to compare it with cars likes of the 4Runner, Xterra(seeing as the Pathfinder now is fwd crossover), and it's old nemesis the Explorer(though now a crossover).

Last edited:

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
The Durango is no more a crossover than the 4runner or Grand Cherokee(which it incidentally shares a platform with) ind Yes it is a unibody platform, but last I check that platform is still pretty capable vs the others. Would actually make sense to compare it with cars likes of the 4Runner, Xterra(seeing as the Pathfinder now is fwd crossover), and it's old nemesis the Explorer(though now a crossover).

Maybe... I think this is one of those vehicles that really straddle the line between SUV and crossover.

The Durango has been getting more car like over time and one can make a reasonable case that the latest generation (the one reviewed by Popular Mechanics) has become a crossover. Unibody construction, car-like driving position, road-biased handling, full-time AWD, front and rear independent suspension and finally approach and departure angles that are not particularly off-pavement friendly all point to a cross-over verdict. Motor Trend and many other publications are calling the Durango a crossover.

That being said, contrary to most crossovers, the Durango is based on a rear wheel drive platform and delivers 6200 pounds of towing capacity. Also, although full-time AWD is standard, there is an optional transfer case that provides AWD Low (Lock), Neutral and full-time active AWD. Further, as you noted, it shares a number of drive train components with the Grand Cherokee which many people still consider an SUV - though more and more media outlets are starting to call the Grand Cherokee a crossover too! The Popular Mechanics story ends with the verdict "The best three seat crossover is not a crossover", implying that they felt the Durango was stout enough to be considered a full-on SUV; they seem to agree with your view.

Chrysler says the Durango will deliver SUV capability with crossover versatility. It sounds like they very consciously designed this as a tweener, a vehicle that at base level makes a capable crossover but that with a few options can be a satisfactory SUV. The old Durango was supposed to be the middle ground between small and large SUVs while the new one is the middle ground between crossovers and full-on SUVs. So I think it makes perfect sense that some would consider the 2011 Durango a crossover, while others might consider it an SUV.

I expect that the line between a crossover and SUV, which has always been somewhat indistinct, will continue to be blurred. Trucks and SUVs are evolving into better and better road performers while certain cars and crossovers are delivering better towing capacity, stouter drive trains and better off-road capabilities.

Last edited:

Funrover

Expedition Leader
There are some pretty darn sweet set ups in this thread. I have thought about making a car a slightly modded AWD/4WD. This thread just feeds that addiction

MadMax11

Here's my Impreza navigating some exciting Alaskan terrain in a couple adventures of mine.

Crossing a river to head home from a few nights of camping:
96.jpg

Stopping on the Dalton Hwy to pick some blueberries on the way back from an Arctic Circle camping adventure:
2011-09-04161232.jpg

This is on a non-lifted Impreza with Fozzy tires, for the moment..

bigmack

Observer
So that is just a regular impreza wagon and not a outback sport? Is there a difference between the two when it comes to off-roading?

MadMax11

So that is just a regular impreza wagon and not a outback sport? Is there a difference between the two when it comes to off-roading?

Regular, 5 speed manual wagon. OBS has approx 0.75" taller springs (and came stock with slightly bigger tires than normal wagons). So no reason to pick an OBS over a normal wagon.

bigmack

Observer
Interesting, kind of silly to call it a different model if its just lifted. Now if they added say a rear lockers too then maybe I could see the justification of a different name. So no mechanical difference or motor options(well beside the Impreza offering a WRX model).

Maybe you can tell this too, the difference between the Outback and Legacy wagon is also taller springs, and bigger tires or is there more of a difference there? Thanks.

JacksonRally

Adventurer
How did I miss this thread! I just posted my GL in the mid size.....oh well I shall share my Subarus with you all.

2006 WRX wagon. Now shes just the grocery getter as my GL is more geared towards weekend trips.

Some of my favorite shots from CA and up to Utah

IMG_1800.jpg

house_DR_meet_DR_4x4_109.jpg

house_DR_meet_DR_4x4_111.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

PICT0596.jpg

PICT0584.jpg

PICT0594.jpg

house_DR_meet_DR_4x4_103.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

The GL

DSC00038.jpg

put_02.jpg

put_01.jpg

P1010467.jpg

P1010468.jpg

P1010469.jpg

P1010470.jpg

P1010471.jpg

D-90 to the rescue

P1010363.jpg

Definetly need to catch up with Rood (jrally) when we are not at a rally!!!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Jacksonrally, did i see your WRX in Mammoth Lakes in early May? If nit yours it was someones built very similar. Good stuff.

So I am a Land Cruiser, Land Rover guy but basically did a six part blog about my exoeriences this spring playing around with the idea of using a Subaru as my overland vehicle. Part in my STI, part in an Outback XT. I discovered alot of insights and came away with a pretty positive experience and racked up a ton of off the beaten path adventure pushing the cars to the limit. Here's the link...
http://kristiansaile.wordpress.com/#!/page/1

Storz

Explorer
My old '05 Impreza had some fun offroad

Son of Sno Drift TSD
p1060837_22.jpg

RallyX
71725e612f71eef8f1e05c15b644d6a7.jpg

fbbdc7c67b05882799425e4987325625.jpg

img0327vi.jpg

imgp2019.jpg

General hoonery