Shipping Container camper...

ccburns

You'd certainly save some money on the initial build, but I have heard that these trucks in particular drink about 45-50L/100km...

But doesn't it look freaking awesome!

Colin

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Diyd

The concept is kinda a Damned if you do (DIYD) kinda deal. Because of the overall weight and size of even a 20 foot connex (or ISBU) you are very limited as to what kind of vehicle will carry it. And unfortunatly, anything that can is going to be a thirsty beast!
I've been touing with a semi-related idea and have yet to come to any viable solution. I own two 40' high cube (about a foot taller than regular) ISBUs. They will be the starter for my house at some point. Yeah... you can stop laughing anytime, I'm not completely nuts...Honest. But I have been racking my brain in the attempt to figure a way to turn one, temp. at least, into a towable trailer. Why? Well...it is silly expensive to have these moved. Even empty they require a semi truck/trailer due to their size. And once I find some property I am fairly sure no driver will willingly drag his truck up a mountain to deliver it!
So I ahve been thinking of making some dollies to affix to the front and rear...in essence turning the container itself into a trailer. Not sure if it can even be done but I'm still messing around with ideas.
But the concept of using one of these for the camper part of an expo rig is, IMHO, not very cost effective in the long run. Sure you can buy one fairly cheap. But the truck that you would mount it on would either be very expensive or an ex-military vehicle. Neither would be very cost effective to operate or maintain. So...I don't know what to say...but I'll happily watch if you do it!:sombrero:

D

Deleted member 9101

The concept is kinda a Damned if you do (DIYD) kinda deal. Because of the overall weight and size of even a 20 foot connex (or ISBU) you are very limited as to what kind of vehicle will carry it. And unfortunatly, anything that can is going to be a thirsty beast!
I've been touing with a semi-related idea and have yet to come to any viable solution. I own two 40' high cube (about a foot taller than regular) ISBUs. They will be the starter for my house at some point. Yeah... you can stop laughing anytime, I'm not completely nuts...Honest. But I have been racking my brain in the attempt to figure a way to turn one, temp. at least, into a towable trailer. Why? Well...it is silly expensive to have these moved. Even empty they require a semi truck/trailer due to their size. And once I find some property I am fairly sure no driver will willingly drag his truck up a mountain to deliver it!
So I ahve been thinking of making some dollies to affix to the front and rear...in essence turning the container itself into a trailer. Not sure if it can even be done but I'm still messing around with ideas.
But the concept of using one of these for the camper part of an expo rig is, IMHO, not very cost effective in the long run. Sure you can buy one fairly cheap. But the truck that you would mount it on would either be very expensive or an ex-military vehicle. Neither would be very cost effective to operate or maintain. So...I don't know what to say...but I'll happily watch if you do it!:sombrero:

I have no clue on the nomenclature, but keep bugging me and I can take a pic of a set of dollies that the Army uses to move them in a pinch.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Seen 'em...

Yeah, I can't remember what they are called either but I've seen them. They don't really work for full size containers from what I can tell. They were designed to be pulled by a HMMWV (good luck) and affix to either a mobile command post or a quad-con...which is like a 1/4 of a 20 foot connex. They use "spreader bars" to connect the front and rear dollies but they mak out in like the 15' range or something? They are kinda neat in that they stack together for transporting when not loaded but are kind of over complicated since they have air over hydrolic to allow them to function...
Take just the dolly sections of that and you'd sorta have an idea what I was thinking of.
The other idea is an adjustable dolly with tandem axles that fits under the container. Cut out the flooring (don't want to reuse it since it is laced with LOTS of chemicals to kill bugs) so it doesn't ride to high. The tires can cycle into the container if need be but the idea is to allow the axle assem. to be movable. Helps to find the correct balance point for road towing and allows the axle to be moved for tigh mountain dirt roads.
The other end would have to have some sort of "bolt on" contraption formulating into either a 5th wheel or bumper hitch assem. Not so sure how that would work either...playing around on google sketchup with ideas but I'm pretty bad with computers...

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Screwy Internet issue...?

Uh...Since I subscribed to this thread I got an email message saying there was a new posting. Cool...that is normal. But when I click to the page the post is not here? MODs...any idea???

toy_tek

Adventurer
Uh...Since I subscribed to this thread I got an email message saying there was a new posting. Cool...that is normal. But when I click to the page the post is not here? MODs...any idea???

Probably because I posted, then immediately deleted it. I was suggesting our own container home thread, but then I checked out the ADVrider link and realized there is quite a discussion going on already over there. I might have to join their Forum just for that thread...

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Shananagins...

Ah-HA! that explains it...heehee.
Well, I kinda got a little motivated and sorta started one down at the bottom in the land use thingy...Just a precursor until I can finish work and get some sleep but I'd like to find folks interested in this kind of stuff myself. And I feel bad for the OP as it seems like I stomped all over his origingal thread...
SORRY SIR! Didn't mean to...so I will carry on in my own little one...
*embarrased and slinks away...*

jesusgatos

Explorer
I like it!!! Hell, I want to build one now. I have always thought of putting one on the back of a 5t troop carrier(the insanely long wheel base version) woudl be a good start
That's exactly what I would choose to carry a 20ft shipping container on.
I have no clue on the nomenclature, but keep bugging me and I can take a pic of a set of dollies that the Army uses to move them in a pinch.
Here you go. Evidently, they DO make one that will move fullsize shipping containers (20ft), and they're dirt cheap (like, less than $500). I just found out about these, and I'm looking for one right now. I thought I was going to have to use a 5th wheel dolly and a lowboy trailer, but I can hitch one of these up right behind Mah Deuce.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
That's exactly what I would choose to carry a 20ft shipping container on.

Here you go. Evidently, they DO make one that will move fullsize shipping containers (20ft), and they're dirt cheap (like, less than $500). I just found out about these, and I'm looking for one right now. I thought I was going to have to use a 5th wheel dolly and a lowboy trailer, but I can hitch one of these up right behind Mah Deuce.

GJ: Yeah...I've seen those on the GovLiquidation site and that is kinda what got me started thinking of he dolly set up. These are Government dollies...true to form. As in the old saying that an elephant is a mouse built to govt. specifications...haha. What makes me not so interested in them is two or three things.
They are designed to carry only up to a 20' container. Though I don't know if one could be "streched" to accomodate a 40'er...*shrugs*?
They are heavy since they are designed to do more than just carry the container. They basically pick it up for you. They have an onboard power source, tilt capability, self leveling...all neat stuff. But the cost is weight! I don't have a Duece to pull with, just a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins. Would it pull...likely. But I don't wish to add the 6K +/- lbs of the dollies to the 8500 of the container...empty!
Plus buying stuff from the auction site is hard for me...haven't mastered that little bit if fun yet...heehee.
I like the concept and for general purposes it may work ok. I just have to wonder if I could "copy" parts of the idea but less complicated and lighter.?.

jesusgatos

Explorer
I'm sure you could. In fact, you and I are thinking in opposite directions. I was considering building some type of trailer that would use the containers as the framerails, like the trailers that carry those big logs. But abandoned that idea when I found out about these military dollies. From what I understand the older versions were a lot simpler (manual hookup, no engine/generator/power-anything, etc.). I'm not particularly concerned about the weight, but I would prefer simplicity in this case. Not going to be hauling often enough that I'd be concerned about efficiency. I'm all for building custom in order to get exactly what you want, but these are close enough for me. Materials alone would cost me at least three times as much money as one of these trailers, and I'm not looking to start any more new projects right now. But I like what you're thinking. Gotta believe it's been done before. People have been moving these around for a long long time. Actually, I sorta think I might have seen something like what you're talking about once upon a time. Maybe. I'm imagining that it was a mobile office that was out on a construction site.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Yes we are...

Haha...Yeah, in a way we are approching the same problem from opposite directions. From my understanding the containers don't like a lot of twist/flex. They, like any steel object will deflect and rack out of true. Since they were not designed to be used as a trailer it kinda complicates matters.
I think that is why the military dolly sets only handle a 20 footer...though I know the only real difference is the extra length, I think they use some sort of spreader bar/rails...to goin the two halves together?? Maybe? Not quite sure.
Though I suppose if the unit had a small enough tongue weight, rolled well, and the container were empty, even a good diesel pickup may be able to pull it?? Guess there are a lot of variables to think about. Distance, road conditions, road construction, accessability...?
The fact that you won't be "doing it everyday" is true. Which is where I have to make myself think and refrain. Being thrifty (ok, cheap!) can be a double edged sword. I gotta balance the cost saved in paying others to transport it X number of times, distance and access too. Some drivers won't touch dirt. But then if I could actually FIND one of these dolly things...how hard are they to come by? What all is involved? Would my truck even pull it?
I am trying to force myself into understanding that 20 footers are better/easier to work with. But already owning the 2 40s...gotta think on that one. I am curious what would be involved with transporting them via rail car? Since all the good "deals" are ones in costal regions, how expensive would it be to have one sent via the train? I'm shooting for Colorado and that is a long drive from the gulf even with an empty one. Can't be cheap on gas/time. But if it was much less to have it delivered to a rail center...I could use the dollies to drag it off to some property...? hmm... Any train people around here?

jesusgatos

Explorer
From what I've been told, the mil surplus dolly-sets aren't very uncommon or hard to find, but I haven't been looking too hard. Haven't actually seen any for sale, but hear they usually sell for under $500. I already own one 40ft container too. I'm not going to mess around with trying to make a dolly-set work with that big old monster though. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of using 20ft containers. More flexible, and much easier to transport, especially considering that I'm most likely to be hauling these things out into the woods. Should be easy to turn 40ft containers into 20ft containers (trade/sell/etc.).

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
What is a trailer...

That kind of makes me wonder too...what defines something as beng a "trailer"...per-se? My other little brainstorm as buying a couple heavy duty trailer axles and mounting them to a couple of beams. Make the axles able to adjust fore and aft to alter the tongue weight and maybe make the beams extendable to fit 20 or maybe even 40' containers. Build a tongue, add wiring that is able to go all the way back to magnetic lights, create some mounting points, and let the container BE the majority of the trailer? Get the axles/beams inspected and have a VIN created for a custom trailer...tag it and go to work? As long as the axels can handle the 8k lbs or so...seems doable? Would it be more expensive than the dollies? That depends but seems very likely. Steel is NOT cheap! But who knows...maybe some beams will show up in the junkyard or something...? Shrugs? Just an idea I'm playing with.
If your Duece was a 5ton...you could just pull the bed and make some outriggers to clamp onto the container. Drop it on...drive to the site, and download it!... Only real issue is the height of the overall deal. But we carry them on the PLS (Connex carrying Hemmits) all the time..?

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Found one...

Quick search and here one is! All the way in VA I think...poo. So they bumper pull via a pintle, right? IIRC, on you steel soldiers site folks were talking about them being hard to back up with a duece...right? SOmething about the front assembly articulating.?. Doesn't it have a locking pin? The trailers we use to haul 20 footers behind a PLS does the same thing but has a pain in the butt pin that will lock the unit to the center for backing up straight.
Maybe I need to look at these closer...hmm...

Attachments

• Dolly.jpg
    Dolly.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 89

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger