Shipping Container camper...

jesusgatos

Explorer
For as cheap as you could buy a dolly-set, I can't see how you could go wrong. Even if you only ended up using the axles and some bits and pieces of it. But personally, I don't think I'll spend much time trying to improve on it. Looks pretty straightforward to me, and yes, from what I understand, the front axle is on a pivot and functions sort of like a 5th wheel dolly. They use standard deuce wheels/tires (40-43" tall), so the ground clearance can't be too bad, and the load-height looks pretty good too. All in all, a much better solution for me than buying a lowboy trailer. Mostly because I can buy a dolly-set and several shipping containers for what a trailer would cost me.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Need more intel...

Do you know anyone that knows anything about these in detail? How they work, some kind of online resource? I real curious now...gee, thanks! Haha.
Only flaw I see for my application is the air brakes. I have no way to run them of a civvy 3/4 ton truck...? Thoughts?

jesusgatos

Explorer
Do you know anyone that knows anything about these in detail? How they work, some kind of online resource? I real curious now...gee, thanks! Haha.
Only flaw I see for my application is the air brakes. I have no way to run them of a civvy 3/4 ton truck...? Thoughts?
Yes, search the forums on steelsoldiers. I'm going to replace the air-assisted brakes on Mah Deuce with hydraulically-assisted brakes, so I'll have a similar problem. Haven't looked into it in detail yet, but I don't think it's a very difficult problem to solve. That is, as long as your truck/trailer has an air compressor onboard. Having the brake pedal/linkage activate an air-switch doesn't seem much different than activating an electrical switch.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Can't register...

JG, I tried to register on SS site but it says registration is closed for new site something-or-other..? I found a couple posts on the forum that talks about the dollies but I have no way to pm the folks? You ever talk to ARMYMAN30YearsPlus ?? He seems to have several of them (one of each size!) and may have some good intel. I'd like to know more but can't get hold of him...Thoughts?

bry71518

What about a Garbage Container?

Used to work as a garbage man some time ago... back then I wasn't hooked on off-roading as I am now, but now I think about a roll off dumpster/garbage container and how it could be modified to be a living container. Further, it could be dropped and you could still use the truck to get around...

Something to consider. I don't have the money to even entertain the idea - and if I built it, I'd be living in it and single... but someone else with the $$ or a supportive wife could do it...

compactor.jpg

just an option..
Bryan

sufisch

Here are a another video. It is our prototype for living on the ground level, you dont have all the steps ... and you can seperate it from the truck.

watch

Desert Dog

somewhere.......I have seen a picture of a euro truck with a shipping container on it for a camper box... It was notched in the front (not the door end) so it was able to fit on the truck bed and, because of the notched box end, became a cab-over camper box..

Anyone know where a pic of that rig is by chance.. i've looked all over ExPo but unable to locate..

Also, any other rigs with shipping containers as camper rig pic's would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Mike

Funny this... I have been looking for an expedition truck and when I was in the UK 6 weeks ago, I came across a beige/cream coloured Bedford truck which I think you are referring to, which had the shipping container which had the notch cut out for the cab. The website which was on the truck was www.travelling4x4.com but seems to be defunct now. I tried searching for more info on it but just can't find the details of it.

tamangel

Adventurer
I had forgotten about this thread..Did find some info.. same web address on box.. plus an additional one.. nice looking concept and final product..

BEDFORD 2.jpgBEDFORD 3.jpgBEDFORD 4.JPGBEDFORD 6.jpgBEDFORD 7.jpgunknwn ship cont. camper.jpg

not shipping containers but still 'box' concepts, maybe you are already aware of these..

http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/index.php

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jslabovitz/sets/72157622318884495/

I am concerned about too much 'wind face' / clearance-height, and maybe tip-over on turns (?), exposure with a tall section above the cab and would go with the unicat style of raising the roof ( http://www.unicat.net/en/pics/EX47HD-UnimogU2450L38-2.html ) if it were mine, for a lower traveling profile..(read: money is no object :)...

lots of this type out there.. fun.. good luck on your search..

Mike W

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman