Should I buy a 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road?

Markal

I'd like a new mid-sized truck this year. I tested a '24 Tacoma TRD Off Road a few days ago and I really like pretty much everything about it compared to the competition (though I haven't tested the new Ranger or a Canyon). I liked the comfort, the drive and handling, the drivetrain acceleration. And the features with a mid-level TRD Off Road package will work for me. My expectations were low-ish and I was impressed.

But should I trust the first year of a totally new design? Reliability is paramount for me. Toyota has their solid reputation for reliability, but I know there were some issues with the Tundra and Sequoia redesigns a couple of years ago (admittedly, I have not looked into the details of the issues and how serious they were). This will be used for road trips, dirt roads all over the West and some true off road driving (not rock crawling, but average 4x4 roads). And I tow a teardrop when I travel.

Since I'd like to get a new vehicle this year, I don't want to wait for for a 2025 or 2026 improvements to the Tacoma. So it's either take the chance on the first model year, or buy a different truck.

Thoughts?

EDIT (a few days later) - we test drove one again (this one a TRD Sport) just to see if my wife would be comfortable in it. She liked it a lot. So we ordered a TRD Off Road with all the bells and whistles. This will be our first pickup and our first real 4x4. Should be fun. I can stop abusing my Outback now.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
No!

But, it's your money, if that tickles your toes, don't worry about the problems ahead, if you have issues then just fix'em. Everything breaks sometime.

Go check the Ranger, might consider a Bronco.

1st production year jitters, Toyota? Nope. Ford and GM? Yes. I would buy a 1st production year Toyota with no regrets, and I have. I have bought a 1st production year GM 4x4 after owning 2 Toyota 4x4s, I learned my lesson. Nothing but Toyota since.

ITTOG

I bought a first year 2007 tundra and it was great. One recall in fourteen years and one failure, idler pulley, in same timeframe.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

tacollie

Glamper
Toyota had a lot of issues with the new Tundra. Combined with the have it's actually a new platform over the previous Tacoma I'd give it a year. But honestly it'll probably be fine.

dman93

Adventurer
There’s definitely new tech in the 4th gen. But Toyota offered a 4 cylinder turbo back in the Eighties so not everything is really new. Seriously, I have a very early 3rd gen, November 2015 build and it’s holding up great. A few minor issues that were quickly and painlessly taken care of. None of the noisy rear end or transmission surge or hood flutter that “everyone” in the on line forums experienced. Over 90k miles later and it’s a solid truck. And while I haven’t wheeled it hard, it’s seen its share of dirt and mud and rock. I say go for it.

bkg

Explorer
1st production year jitters, Toyota? Nope. Ford and GM? Yes. I would buy a 1st production year Toyota with no regrets, and I have. I have bought a 1st production year GM 4x4 after owning 2 Toyota 4x4s, I learned my lesson. Nothing but Toyota since.

Toyota has had numerous 1st year issues with each tundra model... latest Tundra's are dropping turbos, waste gates, valves, rod bearings, etc...
First 5.7's were dropping cams... 1st 3.4's were blowing HG's. etc. etc...

Toyota is NOT immune to issues.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
You will probably be fine. I have seen a lot of things on IG with the Tacoma's going down hill in quality. Mainly being unreliable cheap plastic interior parts not working or not being solid/breaking. I personally think Tacomas over rated. But in the mid size truck market, there isn't anything that stands out except for an Canyon AT4X which is pretty radical in my opinion. I'm a Ford guy and I'll say stay away from the Rangers. They are not selling for a reason.

But you'll likely be fine.

rruff

Explorer
But should I trust the first year of a totally new design? Reliability is paramount for me.
Odds are really good that there will be a few new-model issues that need to be remedied. Historically Toyotas were better than average in this respect, but I don't know anymore. TFL grenaded the front diff on one recently and they weren't doing anything radical.

If I was wanting to buy a midsize this year I'd look at a Frontier and Ranger as well.

Jupiter58

So you looked at the competition but you didn’t look at a ranger or a canyon??
Was it just the Nissan and Jeep you looked at?

Markal

So you looked at the competition but you didn’t look at a ranger or a canyon??
Was it just the Nissan and Jeep you looked at?
Canyon wasn't available, but it's a twin to the Colorado so I'm not sure I need to test it (but I would if one is available near me soon). New Ranger is not available yet. Local dealer said a couple months

I drove the previous Tacoma, the Frontier, the previous Ranger, the Colorado, and the Honda Ridgeline (which I realize is a bit different). And I also drove 4Runners, GX460s, Bronco Badlands, Honda Pilot Trailsport, and a Ram 1500 (neighbor's truck, but I'm not really interested in a full size). Not interested in Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior