Should I buy a 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road?

gwittman

Adventurer
The 2024 Rangers are being delivered to Ford dealers now. Ford is currently making a considerable effort to deliver quality build trucks. They are trying to regain trust in their vehicles.

I am a Ford guy and have been for over 60 years. That doesn't mean I think all other brands are crap. If you like Toyotas, go for it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
1st production year jitters, Toyota? Nope. Ford and GM? Yes. I would buy a 1st production year Toyota with no regrets, and I have. I have bought a 1st production year GM 4x4 after owning 2 Toyota 4x4s, I learned my lesson. Nothing but Toyota since.
They can all have issues.

My '15 F150 was a 1st year as was the the vehicle it replaced, a '14 Cherokee. We bought our 1st year 2011 Tucson in 2014 w/ 25,000 miles on it. Wife drove it for 8 years and we passed it down to our eldest daughter who is still driving it. Currently has 125,000 miles on it with just basic maintenance. That little Tucson has ben the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned. Both were fine. Kept that f150 for 6 years. (bought it in 2017 w/ 25K miles on it)

It's all a crap shoot. If you want one, buy one. But, I'd check out the Rangers and Colorado's too. For me, the Taco would be off my list because in Canada the only way to get a double cab 5' bed with an auto is to get the Premium Off Road model which is 62K here. A similarly equipped Ranger or Colorado is about 6K less.

nickw

Adventurer
I liked my 19' Ranger more than my Tacoma or any Tacoma I've been in....you need to go look at a Ranger IMO, if not to at least cross it off the list. They are solid trucks and many parts cross-over to the Bronco so you have lots of lots of neat offroad parts available for it, including the HD D44 front diff and D60 rear diff, if so inclined.

Markal

What did you dislike about the Frontier Pro4X?
Slightly uncomfortable seating, but not terrible, and a little less desirable tech (camera is pretty weak). But it’s still a possibility. My wife hasn’t driven the Tacoma yet and I suspect she might not like the sight lines out.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Since you'll be car shopping, do yourself a favor and test drive the half ton trucks. F150, Tundy, etc.

They're well worth the upgrade and bigger size. The extra space is awesome. I think you'll be surprised.

dman93

Adventurer
Since you'll be car shopping, do yourself a favor and test drive the half ton trucks. F150, Tundy, etc.

They're well worth the upgrade and bigger size. The extra space is awesome. I think you'll be surprised.
Yeah, I’ve driven my friend’s 2018 F150 SuperCab with 5.0 and it is better than my 3.5 V6 Tacoma in almost every way, and gas mileage is only slightly worse, at best. But it’s far too big for use as a daily, for me in my community. His is 4x4 without the FX4 pack, so no skids or rear locker, and my stock truck can go places his can’t. Or at least more easily. But it’s is very nice.

Markal

I’ve driven my neighbor’s Ram 1500 Laramie and have ridden a bunch of times. Very nice truck. Clearly smoother and quieter than any midsize. It’s somewhat tempting but doesn’t really make much sense for my use.

gwittman

Adventurer
People that think a full-size truck is the way to go are thinking of their own needs. There are many people like the OP and me that want a smaller truck but is still a capable truck.

I have concerns about stepping up to a midsize from my 02 Ranger. I go places in the wilderness that it barely gets through and the wider 6G Ranger is going to have a tougher time with those areas. A truck the size of a Maverick would be better, but I don't think it is suitable for the stuff I do off-road.

I have been on a trip or two with someone driving a F-150 that was set up for off-road. It did very well though most of the trip but when the trail got narrow, it struggled.

rruff

Explorer
I have been on a trip or two with someone driving a F-150 that was set up for off-road. It did very well though most of the trip but when the trail got narrow, it struggled.
The mid-size trucks keep getting bigger, so that there is hardly any difference. Based on what I've been able to find, the Ranger is 79.8" wide... and the F150 is 79.8". On the Ranger a few inches of that is fenders or something, because the 2wd is only 75.5". but still. The track width difference is a little over 4".

You can also get the F150 with a reg cab, 6.5' bed that has a shorter wheelbase and tighter turning circle than the Ranger, and is even lighter in weight.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Gone are the days when there was a significant difference between full and midsize as far as width. Full size looks bigger but when you actually measure it's only a few inches difference. That said the midsize have shorter wheel bases which does help with being nimble and they're also shorter.

The % of time I spend maneuvering around in such tight quarters 6" matters is far less than the % time spent on the interstate, forest roads, etc. but everyone's calculus is different hence why there's everything from a two door Rubicon to a four door f350 tremor.

Last edited:

Markal

The 2024 Rangers are being delivered to Ford dealers now. Ford is currently making a considerable effort to deliver quality build trucks. They are trying to regain trust in their vehicles.

I am a Ford guy and have been for over 60 years. That doesn't mean I think all other brands are crap. If you like Toyotas, go for it.
You're right. One in my region has one on the lot now. A closer dealer said theirs are a month out. Might go test that one is available though.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You will probably be fine. I have seen a lot of things on IG with the Tacoma's going down hill in quality. Mainly being unreliable cheap plastic interior parts not working or not being solid/breaking. I personally think Tacomas over rated. But in the mid size truck market, there isn't anything that stands out except for an Canyon AT4X which is pretty radical in my opinion. I'm a Ford guy and I'll say stay away from the Rangers. They are not selling for a reason.

But you'll likely be fine.
You can’t get a new ranger yet can you? To me it would be the Chevy or the Ford just if you need the payload, they are both 300 ish pounds better than the Toyota currently

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Canyon wasn't available, but it's a twin to the Colorado so I'm not sure I need to test it (but I would if one is available near me soon). New Ranger is not available yet. Local dealer said a couple months

I drove the previous Tacoma, the Frontier, the previous Ranger, the Colorado, and the Honda Ridgeline (which I realize is a bit different). And I also drove 4Runners, GX460s, Bronco Badlands, Honda Pilot Trailsport, and a Ram 1500 (neighbor's truck, but I'm not really interested in a full size). Not interested in Jeep.
What are you going to do with the truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior