Should I buy a 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road?

Markal

What are you going to do with the truck?
Main purpose is to be our camping and adventure vehicle - towing a teardrop all around Colorado, Utah and beyond and going further up roads than we've been able to go with our Subaru. So a lot of highway, a fair amount of off pavement/4x4, towing and hauling gear. It'll also get use a daily driver.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Main purpose is to be our camping and adventure vehicle - towing a teardrop all around Colorado, Utah and beyond and going further up roads than we've been able to go with our Subaru. So a lot of highway, a fair amount of off pavement/4x4, towing and hauling gear. It'll also get use a daily driver.
You said “we” so I’d add up how much we weigh, plus how much stuff you’ll carry, plus the tongue weight of the camper, I’d use 15% of the total weight, plus add any accessories you want- taller tires, camper shell, etc and see if you can do all that for 1300 ish lbs.

Markal

You said “we” so I’d add up how much we weigh, plus how much stuff you’ll carry, plus the tongue weight of the camper, I’d use 15% of the total weight, plus add any accessories you want- taller tires, camper shell, etc and see if you can do all that for 1300 ish lbs.
I can. I’ve been doing it in a Subaru that has a payload of 900!

Markal

The new taco non hybrid will probably suck gas while towing. Since you travel with a teardrop it's something to think about given the small gas tank.
It’ll be better than my Outback XT, which gets 18-19 while towing our teardrop and has a 15 gallon tank. Based on reviews so far I expect the Tacoma to get similar mpg and I’ll have three extra gallons.

That said, I’m having MAJOR second thoughts, even though my $500 deposit is non-refundable. $53k is a lot of dough and I’m wondering if a used Ranger or Frontier would be a wiser choice. I also just like to obsess and the wait for the Taco is not helping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior