Show me your "Adult" rigs and how you keep them running.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Awesome rigs in here folks. Truly. Love those Eagles....that awesome little Mitsubishi. And how do you go wrong with a 4BT Repower?

Here's mine.

1986 Ford Econoline, 6.9L Diesel with factory 4x4.

Slightly modified.
SG

Any interior pictures? Thats one sweet minivan. :drool:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
"Factory" 4x4 on an 86 Econoline? I don't recall Ford ever offering 4wd Econolines from the Factory.

A Pathfinder (or similar) conversion sold by a dealer with a full warranty is one thing, but to me "factory 4x4" means Ford made it that way.

Awesome rig, though.

gtbensley

Explorer
I believe that was a Pathfinder 4x4 from Ford...He has a build thread going on it in 4x4 vans section. It was as close as you could get to a factory 4x4 back in the day I would imagine.

olly hondro

mad scientist
Another squarebody, nothing special, stock 6.2 diesel doesn't need much. Yeah, I too have dated women younger than the truck....but they won't ride in it :(
M2017_1.jpg
M2017_3.jpg

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
That AMC Eagle on 35's is sweet! I had one of those when I was young....

I have a lot of old trucks. My DD is a 1991 FJ80 Cruiser, far from stock. But for the purpose of this thread, I will share this one.

1977 Nissan Patrol Ute (pickup) I imported from New Zealand in 2003. This truck was never sold in the USA and as far as I know, it was the first 60-series Patrol pickup in the USA, now there is only two others.

This is how it looked not long after I got it, I removed the HUGE flat bed that was on the truck.

406033_2744246303281_1289086406_n.jpg

It is currently under the knife being done up as a "resto-mod". Not putting very modern gear in it, rather just the next generation of Patrol stuff. Axles, diesel engine, t-case, ect. Also converting it from RHD to LHD using some USA Patrol LHD parts. So far I have stripped the truck down to the frame and removed all the unwanted brackets off the frame. I am now in the process of fitting the diesel, trans and axles. Plus all new suspension. Frame extended over a foot to handle 63" long rear leaf springs. It will be a fairly tough truck and be able to handle some pretty mild to light-hardcore wheeling. 35" rubber, axles are ARB locked, ect ect.

Here is how it looks now at this stage in the build.

Jeep Rubicon Express SoA leaf springs.
10590593_4522159670004_1999034953721895900_n.jpg

Deaver 63" rear springs
10561575_4522159069989_6705092122103104278_n.jpg

frame extension
10574273_4522158869984_7584463743039884564_n.jpg

Will be running 12" Fox remote reservoir shocks. Also planning to run front & rear PTO winches.

I like old trucks!

Cheers

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Did you measure the wheel travel? I'm not sure a 12" shock will be long enough. I have 62's on my prerunner and am running a 18" shock. I have a huge shackle on mine to increase travel. Looks like a very cool project.

clandr1

Adventurer
25 years old this year and I'm on the verge of hitting 170,000 miles. I won't go into the maintenance (alternator, radiator, brakes, etc), but here's where I've spent the big money:
Dual battery system
Everything north of the engine block was rebuilt
Transmission rebuild
Regeared axles from 3.42 to 4.10
Installed Warn front bumper and 8274
Converted A/C to R134, and went from old pancake compressor to newer style Sanden
1500 watt power inverter
Helton heat exchanger with Shurflo water pump for on board shower
HAM UHF/VHF radio
Wired 12v power to the rear for my ARB fridge/freezer
When I brought it home in May 2010 (147,000 miles)

As it sits today:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Did you measure the wheel travel? I'm not sure a 12" shock will be long enough. I have 62's on my prerunner and am running a 18" shock. I have a huge shackle on mine to increase travel. Looks like a very cool project.

As you are well aware, the Deavers will do way more than 12" of travel. I just do not need that on this truck so will be limiting it. With the stock Patrol drivetrain and 4.6's in the diffs I only net about a 55:1 crawl ratio. Not enough for any hardcore rocks. So 12" of travel should be plenty for the kind of off-roading this truck will see. I won't be running a super long shackle either, probably 6" at most. Might even put air bags in the rear like the U-Joint vans have so it can carry weight plus be able to flex out. The Patrol is kind of being model more as a "hardcore" overland truck or even a recovery vehicle.

Cheers

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
As you are well aware, the Deavers will do way more than 12" of travel. I just do not need that on this truck so will be limiting it. With the stock Patrol drivetrain and 4.6's in the diffs I only net about a 55:1 crawl ratio. Not enough for any hardcore rocks. So 12" of travel should be plenty for the kind of off-roading this truck will see. I won't be running a super long shackle either, probably 6" at most. Might even put air bags in the rear like the U-Joint vans have so it can carry weight plus be able to flex out. The Patrol is kind of being model more as a "hardcore" overland truck or even a recovery vehicle.

Cheers

The sight of this truck going 45 mph through the whoops would be amazing, LOL.

Expedition Leader
1980 FJ40, original 2F engine, unknown miles. Just keeps going and going. Doesn't leak a drop of oil either. Never been on a trailer either.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Does mine count :)

1981 Toyota Pickup 4x4.
- Only had it for about a year and just working through all the kinks. In a few years, I hope to have it reliable enough that I won't be scared to take it across the country. I love it though. Its has an insane amount of cool factor, IMO, and it has been pretty reliable.

A8E81F32-2C97-44B0-BB46-65E9D7F683D5.jpg

Its getting an OME suspension upgrade now:

F41CC2F2-0585-4B46-9803-679C3BC42824.jpg

64DB23DD-D9D2-48D5-8A14-558A7BC5DBF4.jpg

55E1ADA7-F389-4439-AA16-4D28BF67D027.jpg

clandr1

Adventurer

1981 Toyota Pickup 4x4.
- Only had it for about a year and just working through all the kinks. In a few years, I hope to have it reliable enough that I won't be scared to take it across the country. I love it though. Its has an insane amount of cool factor, IMO, and it has been pretty reliable.

Its getting an OME suspension upgrade now:

I clicked on the link in your signature, but it says "invalid thread specified". Cool truck!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader

1981 Toyota Pickup 4x4.

Agree, something about the 1st gen that just makes them super cool looking. For me I think it is the grill/front end and the flared fenders. As well as the back of the cab and the stock beds.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan