Sierra All-arounder build: 99 XJ

ADTR14

Observer
Yea I figured $200 was a good deal for the tcase with the SYE already installed. Made the swap a bit quicker

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Awesome build. I wanted an XJ for so long. I like your mods. Clean and simple.

Awesome trail and scenery also. That's up by Sac right?

SHANO

Very nice build so far... Just curious, what width wheel are you running and what backspacing did you go with?

ADTR14

Observer
After getting my suspension set up I decided it was time for a little test. So my Dad, a friend and our dogs made a run up the hill to Boards Crossing for a test run and a little fishing. It sprinkled most of the day but it was kind of nice, no dust and few people. Suspension is awesome so far! Gearing with the 4.10s and 265's is nice as well going up the hills.

The blazer is a bit wider than the xj haha

And caught a few of these little guys in the river

ADTR14

Observer
Well I've got a couple recent updates and current pics of where the rig is sitting at. My Dad and one of my Dad's friends Dave gave me a hand last week on a couple projects. First, being that Dave is our local wiring expert, I had him start the wiring for my rear back up lights and add a couple of other wires for some auxillary lights in the near future. My Dad began working on a bracket to mount my HAM radio antenna and I began the final install for my Protofab rock sliders that came in a week earlier.

The sliders took about two months to receive, which is longer than what I was told, but they seem to be of good quality and I do like the design. If I were to do it again however, I would just build my own or buy Rigidco or AJ's since they are cheaper and would fit my needs as well. They were mocked up and after drilling holes in the pinch seam they were sprayed with hammered black paint. The legs were welded to my frame stiffeners.

The antenna mount my dad made out of angle iron with the excess trimmed off and captured two existing holes for the tail light housing. Definitely better than using my old mag mount set up.

And its current state! Really happy so far and its very close to where I want it. I see some maintenance in the near future like axle seals, rear main seal etc. (I hate leaky vehicles) as well as some braking upgrades and maybe a few performance parts to perk up the 4.0 a bit. Then the focus will turn towards improving my ability to camp out of my rig. That process has already begun from my recent acquisition from pick n pull. Stay tuned…

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Awesome fab work my friend. I wish I had the skills and the tools to do this stuff myself. I have a LOT of plans and designs in my head... maybe one day.

Nice build, no nonsense and clean as a whistle.
Greg

ADTR14

Observer
Lookin good. How's your shackle angle?

Excited to see what you got from the JY!
Angle is probably about 75-80 degrees. I spoke with Dirk from DPG about this and in his opinion shackle angle is not as critical as everyone claims it to be. Obviously you don't want the shackle angled out or straight vertical. All the shackle relocation brackets are just another way for companies to make money, in his opinion.

My springs still need to settle some more so the angle will improve, but at this point I have nothing to complain about as far as ride quality goes.

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
Angle is probably about 75-80 degrees. I spoke with Dirk from DPG about this and in his opinion shackle angle is not as critical as everyone claims it to be. Obviously you don't want the shackle angled out or straight vertical. All the shackle relocation brackets are just another way for companies to make money, in his opinion.

My springs still need to settle some more so the angle will improve, but at this point I have nothing to complain about as far as ride quality goes.

He told me that using a shackle relocation brackets will ruin you springs because of something that was too hard to explain. All I know is my springs are still just fine, the Jeep rides smoother, and I have more articulation in the rear.

ADTR14

Observer
F40 - It's a diamond dual band NR770HNMOB antenna. I can measure it this evening.

iluv83vettes - I remember him saying something like that as well. It's a nice suspension package, no complaints from me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998