SilicaRich's Overland TJ Rubicon Build

Mitch502

Explorer
Being on the water is never a bust. It's kinda like saying you're upset you only won a million dollars instead of two million, lol.

I'm jelly!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Being on the water is never a bust. It's kinda like saying you're upset you only won a million dollars instead of two million, lol.

I'm jelly!

I can't argue with that! The weather here in NW Arkansas is beautiful right now so I plan on checking out a smaller lake this weekend that should be a little better suited for the kayak. Gonna try and convince a friend to buy a big tube of some sort so can tow him around and both of us fish:********:

Also, more news regarding something a little different from the Jeep is a total academic change for me. Just picked up papers to change from an engineering degree to a geology degree:victory:

Mitch502

Explorer
Nice! I start my master's program in May, and I dread it! Lol.

Good luck, I wish there were more ample opportunity near where I live for "outdoorsy" jobs.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Interesting find that could help one of my TJ's weak links...

So I was browsing Instagram and found out a mutual friend was installing an auxiliary fuel tank on this JKUR by Long Range Automotive. As a TJ owner having a small gas tank and abysmal fuel economy, increasing my drive range has always been a want. Before, I had never been able to find an auxiliary tank for my model, only larger tanks are available with one increasing my total capacity to 24.5 gallons which is appealing but not for a $1000 price tag, or an equivalent of $200 per extra gallon. However, out of curiosity I Googled Long Range Automotive to see if they made an auxiliary tank for TJs. Sure enough, they do and it adds about 11 gallons to my range! Puts me at 30 or so gallons of gas. Sadly, they don't have an upfront price so I am in the process of getting a quote to see what I could possibly end up paying for. My mutual friend mentioned that shipping is absolutely outrageous due to the products being made in Australia or something like that. If the prices come out reasonable, this is definitely a future mod on the rig.

Interesting things about the auxiliary tank is that the bottom is supposed to have a unique design and strength, basically a built in skid plate. However, I would likely have a skid fab'd up as a safety blanket. Also, the tank is filled through the same gas cap as stock, the hose is just swapped out for a Y-shaped hose to fill both tanks at once. To my understanding, the design is also straight up bolt-on, with the exception of a few possible new holes needing to be drilled, I'll have to do a little research.

For anyone else interested, here's their website:https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/Long-Range-Fuel-Tanks

Mitch502

Explorer
That would be awesome! With a 5.9L and 10-15mpg max range has always been a fear for me. I do have a 23 gallon tank, but that's still not much once you really get out there in the world!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
That would be awesome! With a 5.9L and 10-15mpg max range has always been a fear for me. I do have a 23 gallon tank, but that's still not much once you really get out there in the world!

Tell me about it! I consistently get 11-12 mpg on the highway and hate it. Fully loaded, closer to 10 mpg. Probably would help if I drove under 75 mph more often to keep the rpms under 3k. The mpg issue always has me considering an engine swap but 1) it would take forever to pay off and 2) all the little things to properly do an engine swap. But trust me, the idea keeps popping up for me. I would just hate to see my little 4.0 go though

Mitch502

Explorer
Tell me about it! I consistently get 11-12 mpg on the highway and hate it. Fully loaded, closer to 10 mpg. Probably would help if I drove under 75 mph more often to keep the rpms under 3k. The mpg issue always has me considering an engine swap but 1) it would take forever to pay off and 2) all the little things to properly do an engine swap. But trust me, the idea keeps popping up for me. I would just hate to see my little 4.0 go though

I think the only worthy swap for a Wrangler is a 4BT...then you could tow anything you want and get 30MPG...but a fresh 4BT is going to run vlose to $5K probably, then gotta get the swap parts.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I think the only worthy swap for a Wrangler is a 4BT...then you could tow anything you want and get 30MPG...but a fresh 4BT is going to run vlose to $5K probably, then gotta get the swap parts.

The 4BT is extremely appealing considering it's reputation, I know a guy with one in his YJ and it's a monster. Only issue is the extent of modification to properly run a 4BT in a TJ. The 4BT eats TJ drivetrains like it's nothing. We are talking about stronger driveshafts, stronger axle shafts, motor mounts, potentially reinforced tubes, regear to accomodate the power band, potentially reinforced frame, and an entirely new transmission to do it properly without weak links breaking in the future. The parts cost alone is a pain, so I can't imagine labor costs (probably wouldn't do all the work myself). The rough cost would probably be around $15k plus or minus, and that's a maybe, likely alot more.

As fun as the 4BT would be, I would likely look at a VW TDI motor. WAYYYY lighter, no excessive vibes, pairs up easy with my current transmission, and has plenty of power. My other considerations would be the Vortec 4.3 or 4.8

Mitch502

Explorer
The 4BT is extremely appealing considering it's reputation, I know a guy with one in his YJ and it's a monster. Only issue is the extent of modification to properly run a 4BT in a TJ. The 4BT eats TJ drivetrains like it's nothing. We are talking about stronger driveshafts, stronger axle shafts, motor mounts, potentially reinforced tubes, regear to accomodate the power band, potentially reinforced frame, and an entirely new transmission to do it properly without weak links breaking in the future. The parts cost alone is a pain, so I can't imagine labor costs (probably wouldn't do all the work myself). The rough cost would probably be around $15k plus or minus, and that's a maybe, likely alot more.

As fun as the 4BT would be, I would likely look at a VW TDI motor. WAYYYY lighter, no excessive vibes, pairs up easy with my current transmission, and has plenty of power. My other considerations would be the Vortec 4.3 or 4.8

Yea, I was guessing $10K to do a swap, so that sounds about right. If you were going to do a 4.3 or 4.8, you would be better off probably to do a 5.3, or just a LS1...I'm pretty sure a 5.3 and 4.x would get the same mileage. My brother and dad both just finished swaps of the 4.3 Vortec in their ZR2 S10s, and replaced them with 5.7L Vortecs....they get the same mileage and have way more power.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Yea, I was guessing $10K to do a swap, so that sounds about right. If you were going to do a 4.3 or 4.8, you would be better off probably to do a 5.3, or just a LS1...I'm pretty sure a 5.3 and 4.x would get the same mileage. My brother and dad both just finished swaps of the 4.3 Vortec in their ZR2 S10s, and replaced them with 5.7L Vortecs....they get the same mileage and have way more power.

Actually the 5.3 was one of the first swaps I was ever considering, besides a 5.7 (reliable but extremely inefficient compared to the 5.3, considered it because I had one in my '71 FJ40), and, yes, the fuel economy numbers are actually just about the same. My concern is better fuel economy rather than power, although the low end torque is something I will always need, reasoning for my other considerations just on a smaller platform. The 5.3 far exceeds the torque rating of my transmission, reason I would consider it's baby brother the 4.8 to prevent an extra $2k (probably way more) being spent on a new transmission. However, even the 4.8 toes the line for what my transmission is capable of.

Reason the 2.0L TDI is probably the most appealing swap for me; Buying a core is fairly cheap considering I just found a 2012 2.0L TDI with 33k miles for $1600 which isn't bad at all. The power output is nearly identical to my current 4.0 but more torque and a turbo, not to mention how easily tunable the new little 2.0 TDIs are, so extra power if wanted would be easy to get. Plus, the little TDI gets some incredible fuel economy, proclaimed 60 mpg if driven correctly but more accurately 40ish, so squeezing mpgs in the mid 20s would be very easy in the Jeep. Biggest pain would obviously be wiring and computer work with potentially some worthy expenses involving transmission adapter plates and so on.

Then again is this is all bark with no bite. Highly unlikely that I'll do an engine swap for financial reasons as well as being to partial to my 4.0. However, if she decided to completely grenade on me, that might be an entirely different story.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
The problem with swaps is there is hardly ever oem reliability and parts can be tough to get far from home. I know, because I've done a few and I would keep the 4.0 if I were you. My CJ7 has a 305 chevrolet. It was an easy swap and it has more power out on the road making it a pleasure to drive now but I do miss my 258 at times. That little six was a wonderful engine in it's happy zone, which was not freeway travel! I also keep breaking front axle shafts when in 4 low now, so I'm needing to upgrade to some stouter shafts or build a Dana 44. You can really get into upgrading components (I have), and the next thing you know it's no longer the Jeep you loved, but a cantankerous beast that doesn't work well and is terrible in the reliability department. Don't let me discourage you if your Jeep is a toy, just take my advice for what it's worth. If I were building a long distance traveler I would stick with OEM power plant and drive train. As for diesel engines, I really like the Cummins B3.3 t engine. It's made by Komatsu and is the perfect size and power for a Jeep. The biggest problem is they're hard to get new or used. The 4bt sounds great for a Jeep but there's just too many compromises, like weight and height and noise. I can't listen to a 4bt run for over five minutes without it driving me up the wall! The VW diesels are great little motors, but they lack power over the 4.0. They would be great in a lighter vehicle but the TJ is stretching it.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
The problem with swaps is there is hardly ever oem reliability and parts can be tough to get far from home. I know, because I've done a few and I would keep the 4.0 if I were you. My CJ7 has a 305 chevrolet. It was an easy swap and it has more power out on the road making it a pleasure to drive now but I do miss my 258 at times. That little six was a wonderful engine in it's happy zone, which was not freeway travel! I also keep breaking front axle shafts when in 4 low now, so I'm needing to upgrade to some stouter shafts or build a Dana 44. You can really get into upgrading components (I have), and the next thing you know it's no longer the Jeep you loved, but a cantankerous beast that doesn't work well and is terrible in the reliability department. Don't let me discourage you if your Jeep is a toy, just take my advice for what it's worth. If I were building a long distance traveler I would stick with OEM power plant and drive train. As for diesel engines, I really like the Cummins B3.3 t engine. It's made by Komatsu and is the perfect size and power for a Jeep. The biggest problem is they're hard to get new or used. The 4bt sounds great for a Jeep but there's just too many compromises, like weight and height and noise. I can't listen to a 4bt run for over five minutes without it driving me up the wall! The VW diesels are great little motors, but they lack power over the 4.0. They would be great in a lighter vehicle but the TJ is stretching it.
:iagree:
Kind of what I figured and right now the TJ is a daily drive is likely will be at minimum till after college. If I were to do an engine swap, that's when it would be, so not anytime soon. Like I said, the the VW TDI I would consider is nearly identical to the 4.0 overall in power, around 150 horsepower<than my 4.0, but same amount of torque at around 230 (I'll take a look at the B3.3 though). In all honesty, the overall engine feel would probably feel similar to the 4.0 with the nice low end torque, just with a little more pep in its step because of the turbo and being much lighter. The little TDI also has a ton of wiggle room for power so with some proper tunes could easily make up for any power it lacks compared to the 4.0 while putting out easily twice the fuel efficiency.

Then again like said, I love my 4.0 for it's sheer ease of maintenance and reliability but she is starting to be a pain at the gas pump. Like you said though, sticking with the OEM powerplant is often the best route to go for simplicity and reliability, keeps parts easily accessible and things easy to tinker with. Biggest problem is that the 4.0 was old technology the day it came out (after all it's basically just an EFI 4.2) and there's really nothing I can do to help it in the fuel economy department. CAIs (already done), exhausts (already done), headers, throttle bodies, throttle body spacers, and programmers seem to be a bunch of snake oil. The only thing I would potentially consider now is a programmer but I even know that it's pretty much a lost hope. However since my recent downsize in tires, the pump seems a little more elusive but a future downsize in lift should hopefully help a bit too. If I can just get the mpgs back to 14, I would be fairly happy.

Just a lot of spitballing though and honestly I'll likely never do an engine swap. Too many things to go wrong, especially in installation that can keep snowballing into a bigger money pit than it already is and lead to an unreliable vehicle never running right. However, I can say that the idea is fun to think about from time to time:ylsmoke:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Long Range Automotive Quote

Got an email back from Long Range Automotive with a quote on just the 11 gallon auxiliary tank alone at about $1210, which isn't bad at all considering Genright wants about the same price for a larger replacement tank that adds only 5 extra gallons. However, my mutual friend who peaked my interest for this, said it cost him $1500 for shipping:Wow1: so this isn't happening anytime soon. He recommended finding a few friends also interested in an aux tank and share the shipping cost since it all ships on one pallet. Another mod, or dream, for another day:ylsmoke:

Also, by mentioning a swap, I've actually peaked my own interest to do a little research on TDI swaps. The 2.0L TDI isn't as popular among TJs as I thought, however, the older 1.9L from 2003-06 Jettas is with some minor modification. Something very appealing about the 1.9 is that actually has a very similar powerband to that of the 4.0 and thrives best with fuel economy and power at higher rpms, means no regearing for me. The overall cost in just parts, engine, adapters is also extremely reasonable compared to most swaps. Main reason I'm posting this is because they a wide range of conversions kits from YJs, TJs, MJs, XJs, and even JKs so this might be more appealing to other Jeep Portal members than just me that might want a little extra pep, fuel economy, or just want a diesel:) Check out Coty Built:http://www.cotybuilt.com/hardware.html

Mitch502

Explorer
That's a lot of money for a aux fuel tank...more expensive that a bumper that hold jerry cans, lol.

For that price you could but a tig welder and make your own fairly easily!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior