SilicaRich's Overland TJ Rubicon Build

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
That's a lot of money for a aux fuel tank...more expensive that a bumper that hold jerry cans, lol.

For that price you could but a tig welder and make your own fairly easily!

Yeah for practicality it's probably something I'll now never do, but something more so for fun if I had the money to blow.

I've been meaning to learn to weld so getting me TIG might be a good idea especially if I have any custom fab I want to. Actually had thoughts about modifying my rear swing to accommodate some jerry cans or any sort of storage but of coarse need some welds to do it. It's supposed to be an HD bumper/tire carrier but right now it's not doing much HD work with just a 32" tire.

As you see my mind is always wandering and finding more ideas regarding this build. Kind of what happens when you are stuck in a dorm and can't tinker with the Jeep until you get back home.

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
So I went ahead and gave a call to my guy, Dirk at DPG, about piecing together an OME lift. Man does that guy know his stuff! Basically I'm going with a ~$1300 lift, definitely more than I wanted to spend but I'm hoping selling off a few old parts should cut the cost a bit. Due to the TJ being used as an overland rig and getting fatter, he said that there's a chance that I should just the 2" OME ZJ/WJ springs rather than the normal 2" OME HD spring for TJs. They offer a little more lift to accommodate the extra weight, but will likely have me sitting a little high at first. Plan to get the kit ordered within the next week so it arrives back at my house around the time I get home from college. Also going to try to find a set of stock control arms someone has laying around that I can just take off their hands for free or maybe for a small cost.

Here's basically the kit, however, the MML and BL are being taken out: http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-man-emu-ultimate-tjlj-wrangler-kit/

Last edited:

Jeeper4life

Adventurer
Sup Guthrie

The TJ will probably always stay stock......it's made it 14 yrs :D and the Waggie is on the back burner. I may start one if I end up with the Comanche trailer.

I just put a CJ5 build thread up here... and its still not all the way up to date lol

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Sup Guthrie

The TJ will probably always stay stock......it's made it 14 yrs :D and the Waggie is on the back burner. I may start one if I end up with the Comanche trailer.
Stock as in tires and lift right? No harm in throwing some fancy bumpers and a roof rack up there:wings:

I just put a CJ5 build thread up here... and its still not all the way up to date lol

Just saw it and subscribed!:sombrero:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Officially ordered my OME lift for the Jeep. Instead of the typical HD TJ springs, the guy I ordered from hooked me up LJ springs to accommodate the extra weight added and future weight to be added (I previously mentioned they were ZJ springs which was incorrect. Apparently the rear LJ springs are the equivalence of the ZJ front coils).

Also about to order a Front Runner Jerry Can for a snugger fit on my roof mounted Front Runner Jerry Can mount. Currently working out a deal for some stock control arms to replace my crap Pro Comp ones currently. Plan on returning back to Texas on Thursday and maybe trying to find an old style aviator helmet with the goggles to wear for Go Topless Day this Saturday. It's not exactly Jeep build related, I just thought it would be humorous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan