SIMEX tires

Winky

Adventurer
Of course I am interested in things I can't have (hilux,defender,DIESEL ANYTHING) and I have lusted after these tires for a long time. I am thinking about swallowing the price just to scratch my itch. Anyone have any expierence/pictures with these in any size. I like the extreme trekkers but havn't seen them in a 33x10.50 size. Damn me and my taste for the exotic.

Thanks all,
Josh

Winky

Adventurer
I'm located in Texas for another couple weeks... then back to Northern illinois for maybe a month or two.. then I am going to be living in St. Louis indefinetly.. or atleast a couple months.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I didn't know there was anyone that you could get Simex tires from in the states. Good links 01001010.

I see them on a large majority of competition rigs in Australian 4WD Monthly - BURLY :drool:
I'd pony up the cash for them on a designated trail rig. Might be overkill on a trail/DD as I would assume they wear fast on pavement. That's just an assumption though.

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
You misspelled tyres. :)

What vehicle would these be going on? Like KC said, they seem to be pretty aggressive for an overland vehicle and I would be worried about the cost and difficulty of replacing one. I wish that there were more tall/skinny tires in the US market though. :(

Scott Brady

Founder
Very strong tires for a radial and very aggressive. I share your facination :)

The challenge is DOT approval for use on the road...

Adventurer
I have personally dealt with 4x4 Adventure Gear. Its run by two of the coolest guys you could ever meet, John C. and Adrian S. (only know the first letter of their last name..lol) I bought my bumper from them.

So you get an idea of what type of people you'd be dealing with, I ran into a snag the night I was installing my winch bumper with a trans cooler line...I PMed him on the board we both frequently visit, provided my cell and within 20 minutes (mind you it was a thursday night at like 9pm) I rcvd a phone call from John to guide me through. They are a great asset not only to the Rover community, but the 4x4 community as well. And no I am in now way affiliated with them. Just a very satisfied customer.

The other link I came across while doing my won research (I too was looking for something I couldnt afford..lol)

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
I didn't know there was anyone that you could get Simex tires from in the states. Good links 01001010.

I see them on a large majority of competition rigs in Australian 4WD Monthly - BURLY :drool:
I'd pony up the cash for them on a designated trail rig. Might be overkill on a trail/DD as I would assume they wear fast on pavement. That's just an assumption though.

Hehe...no prob...

As for using them on a DD...you are correct. This is John's truck...

IMG_0268.jpg

According to his and his partner's experiences, they shake the truck vigorously above 70. Meaning they probably provide a constant pulsating feeling under 70. I would think twice, three, and even four times before putting these on a truck that also sees highway or street use....besides the fact that they arent DOT approved

Winky

Adventurer
These would be on my TJ Rubicon. I want them as a secondary off road only tire... excuse me.. TYRE. I have a contact over at ROF that is looking into shipping for me. I am looking at ethier a 33 or 34 x 10.50. Keep the pictures coming...
edit to comment on DOT: Ever siped tires? Right there is voiding DOT approval.. I don't think my tires have ever been checked for DOT compliance. NO INSPECTION in the great but flat state of Illinois.

Adventurer
Winky, just givin the heads up. Unfortunately, all the images I can find are Rovers. 4 different Discoveries...two of which were in the OZ Outback challenge and now back home in the states, the other two are John and Adrian's trucks...I'll post them as soon as I find them all.

Winky

Adventurer
Post em up.. nothing but respect for rovers. Any idea if they run true to size? Soon when I sell my jeep and move to a Taco I am going to want to run these again as a dedicated wheeler tire. I wonder if I could fit a 34x10.50. I am going to run the deaver/donahoe combo. Anyone have input on this?

Cheers
Josh

Dirty Harry

Adventurer
Not trying to take anything away from the Simex tyres, but Interco makes a 34x10.5 Super Swamper LTB that works really good on the trail, would be less expensive, and easier to replace.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Dirty Harry said:
Not trying to take anything away from the Simex tyres, but Interco makes a 34x10.5 Super Swamper LTB that works really good on the trail, would be less expensive, and easier to replace.
This is one the way I'm thinking for my truck. Easier to find and otherwise seems to fit the bill. They are bias ply and not radial, but super aggressive, available in 15" rims (important for me), etc. However, I am really leaning towards the 34x.9.50 Swamper TSL that they also offer.

Winky

Adventurer
Yeah I have run the LTBs... These are purely a fascination for me. Exotic.. not readily available. An itch I have to scratch. I love watching these tires in jungle challenges. I'm convinced these will be even better in mud. The lugs are scooped, not just blocks.. they are tuff and world famous. I don't need them I just really want them.. seems to be a trend for me.:)

Cheers
Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan