Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

86JP-CJ7

:sombrero: Thanks Bob... I've always felt 2x2 was strong enough, but I know some like to over build with 2.5x2.5 or 2x3. I'm getting ready to build a trailer and I'm trying to keep the weight down, so I am confident to use 2x2 if it is working well on your trailers (mine's a bit shorter).

Looks great

I have been thinking grasshopper style for awhile and this one looks terrific. Considered a VW type pop top to allow a standup spot? Tongue box? Please post when your web site is up and running. Thanks ,I enjoyed looking.

bob

Adventurer
You have the option of a tongue box or spare carrier. It is in the desgin to counter weight the water and the equipment in the rear of the trailer. I am also looking at making a swing out kitchen with sliding shelving. Spoke with a canvas guy Friday that says he can enclose the kitchen area for a reasonable price.

I am changing the AC to an option, and installing the Fantastic Fan 6600 as the standard feature. Very few would use the AC normally and the fan has very special features, thermostat, closes on rain or when the fan is off. It actually opens when it is too warm in the trailer and has a remote control. I feel that will give the average user all they need. The trailer is quite warm and do not feel it needs a heat strip, that was the real reason for the AC as it had a heat strip.

Regarding the pop up top, it does create a problem in that the area of the bed is normally in the rear, which means it is only a few inches more head room as the base becomes the bed, the higher area is towards the front and that would have you standing in the center of the bed. I will look at reversing it, but I really do not want to have a cooking area inside over the lower mattress. As to just adding an extra area for sleeping it could be done I think. Have thought about it and looked at a friends VW. I still need to talk to the fiberglass guy about it. Building molds for the roof and designing the lift is a lot of money.

I am trying to keep my trailers fully loaded, comparable to the base priced trailers of my competitors.. I believe mine have far more options than the others and adding another will take the profit margin out. We all have to make money doing this.

bob

Adventurer
Just got the Dometic 40 fridge in. Glad to see it was the number two choice in the Portals testing. I like the plastic outside with what we do. I had a metal box fridge and something came loose and beat the heck out of it. Still worked but was frippen ugly. Also the fantastic fan arrived today, so will try to get both installed and pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:

bob

Adventurer
trailer

I forwarded you my email address. I for some reason can not post pictures, just to stupid I guess, I will send all current photos, quite a few more, directly to you.

Xrunner

Explorer
Bob, if you email the pics to me I'll post them for you. My email address is in my profile.

Last edited:

bob

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer. I think Wikid is posting some I sent him a few days ago.

I will be working on the installing the new fan in the morning and then taking the trailer to a large rv park to be on display over the holiday weekend. Was taking it home and the manager asked me to display it. Kinda cool.

I am headed to DMV Monday to hopefully finalize my Manufacturer status. Hopefully will have website up soon and then finalize becoming a vendor on this site and several others.

Again thanks for all the interest and comments.

bob

Adventurer
Okay fan is in, fridge is in, no pictures. Sorry.

I just met with a company in Hemet, it appears we will be building the front of the trailer out of fiberglass, molded to be more aerodynamic. Not that expensive. He is working a price for a complete one piece trailer unit, along my design, and the possibility of the upper pop up like the old VW's, for extra sleeping.

But the nose cone will be the first project to complete.

Xrunner

Explorer
Here are some new pictures from bob...

DSCN0628.jpg

DSCN0629.jpg

DSCN0630.jpg

DSCN0631.jpg

DSCN0632.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

DSCN0636.jpg

DSCN0637.jpg

DSCN0639.jpg

DSCN0640.jpg

DSCN0641.jpg

DSCN0642.jpg

DSCN0643.jpg

DSCN0646.jpg

DSCN0647.jpg

DSCN0648.jpg

Xrunner

Explorer
"Here are pictures of the fantastic fan installed and the tie down method for
the fridge. I am not into the nylon tie down things. This keeps it solid
over any thing and does not stretch out..."

DSCN0662.jpg

DSCN0663.jpg

Xrunner

Explorer
"Some off road of the trailer. *Still nothing too difficult, trying to keepit scratch free for awhile longer..."

DSCN0591.jpg

DSCN0592.jpg

DSCN0593.jpg

DSCN0594.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg

DSCN0596.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior