Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

bob

Adventurer
The walls are 7/8 thick. It is very warm and quiet, that is the reason for doing away with the AC and heat strip. Spent one night in at Borrego, temperature got down to 38, slept under a sheet, spent two nights in at Pismo, 38 degrees, wind at 40-50 miles an hour, rain, sleet, hail and absolutely no problem. The bottom of the trailer has 7 mil plastic wrapped around it. Then there is 1/4 aluminum insullation under the mattress. Plus the Restava/Tempurpedic memory foam holds heat.

Originally that was the reason for the AC/Heat strip. Being a small area with two people in it, it stays quite warm. Down below that temperature I have no idea, but most will not be camping in those temperatures I think.

I am looking at foam walls though on the next one, still figuring if I trust the aluminum being bolted together. Thank you for your comments.

Last edited:

brained

Adventurer
And nothing but respect for the build. I've been watching many of the trailer builds and this one is the closest to the ideas floating around in my head.

bob

Adventurer
Thank you for your compliment. This trailer is a prototype, not as smooth and clean as I would like it to be. I also need to cut down the weight some for serious off roading. I would like it to be around 1750 fully loaded with 28 gallons of water on board and 5 gallons of propane. The foam aluminum walls most likely would get me there easily. But structurally I have concerns. I know that is the way that the RV industry builds trailers, but they are not designed to do what we do to them. As mentioned earlier, I am working on a nose cone for the trailer, and the possibility of it being all molded fiberglass.

I want to build the best base camp trailer out there, and I want it to be the best by far. I have learned keeping mommy happy is the key to me being happy, and most of us are in that situation.

grimbo

Explorer
Looks great and would love something like this with a full canvas annex so we could also have somewhere for the kids to sleep. Pity you're not in Oz

GREENI

Adventurer
Fantastic build, looks great set up.
To rub salt in the wounds, FJ's aren't available in the uk either !

bob

Adventurer
I will start taking orders in Mid January. Should have everything ready by then. I am having knee surgery the 6th of January, but should be ready by the end to start back. I have had to work my regular job the last to weeks and it appears more this week. Hopefully that will be the end of work for this year giving time to finish everything needed to do this.

Again, thanks to all who have looked at my trailer, and to those that have made comments. All input is welcome. I have worked very hard on trying to build something that no one else is making. Making it aggresive, rugged and stylish, outfitted with things that make the off road trail as comfortable as possible.

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
Looking good Bob. It looks like you are going to have a few pre-orders to get you underway in the new year. Hope the knee op doesn't slow you down too much.

bob

Adventurer
I am looking at the Propex 2000. Anyone else using it? I see some are putting giant propane bottles on their trailers. I would think that small it could not use that much propane. Unless it is very inefficient. That adds alot of weight to the trailer. I was hoping I could use my 7 gallon one for at least a week out using the stove and the water heater. Is 14 gallons of fuel really needed with this heater?

bob

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply Gabe,

Is there a real need for a lot more storage on a week to two week outing? I have that large set up on my 5th wheel and it normally lasts a good three weeks, but I am not camping a 0 degrees either. Momma would not like that!!!

bob

Adventurer
Fan and Fridge

First attempt at posting pictures.
The fantastic fan installed and the tie down system for the new fridge.
DSCN0662.jpgDSCN0663.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0662.jpg
    DSCN0662.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN0663.jpg
    DSCN0663.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members