Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

indiedog

Adventurer
We don't have luan over here, not as far as I'm aware anyway. Why do you use it? And why is it added it to the ply and the fibreglass? Wouldn't you be able to just glue directly to the ply both inside and out? As far as I can tell it's not a waterproof product. I know you guys have to deal with the cold whereas we have to deal with heat so maybe that's a reason?

For the hatches and windows etc, do you have to have the steel frame going around the opening? I've seen many examples where the window/hatch is fitted directly to the ply or composite material. Typically these are Dometic or Thetford brand windows and hatches or the local Camec brand. If the ply isn't thick enough for the window then timber packing is used around the window to make the ply thick enough locally. You may get away with less steel framing if this works. Might save you some effort and help to clean up the inside.

For lining the inside, could you do it before you skin the outside? This would then give you a nice surface to hold the insulation before skinning externally. Totally understand your comments about keeping the trailer cost down, and a worthy goal. I wonder though that if you can get a thin ply/luan on the inside then your labor fitting the carpet would be a lot less.

Do you guys use marine type carpet over there? It's nearly bombproof and is often used to line the inside of trailers here. That or a similar felt material.

Cheers again.

indiedog

Adventurer
Hi Bob,

Just read some of your feedback re' lifting the bed and how you use the inside in crap weather. All fair comments. Q. Is the wheel track on the trailer the same as the tow vehicle? I hear what you are saying re' the sheet width but this would only be for the roof and rear gate. My guess is the trailer body would end up about 5ft 8 with it coming over the wheel arches. This would still be less or equal to most car or 4wd widths. The track of the wheels could be adjusted under to suit but typically this is still done with 48in outside the main floor members (1200mm locally). A queen sized mattress would then fit inside. Again this is what most local makers strive to fit. More room for the wife (and you :Wow1:) to roll around in.....

One bonus of the wider body with recessed wheel wells is that you end up with volumes forward and behind the wheel arch which are perfect for batteries and other mechanical bits. In that location they don't take up valuable central storage. Hey, you'd also get a wider kitchen! Happy wife, happy life!! :sombrero:

The weight gain is less than the proportional width gain due to only increasing roof, front and rear surface area and not the side walls. I also know that key for my wife when using the camper is storage. My camper design has gone through 4 separate incarnations and is now hopefully ready for building....... soon.....

Last edited:

bob

Adventurer
I tend to overbuild. Luan is a finish type of ply wood, or at least that is what I call it. Very smooth and would look quite nice finished.

Delamination is one of the major problems in trailer longevity. I had my walls made by a company that has been doing it for over 15 years. I buy them the exaxt size I need them then glue them to the plywood, tech screw the edges around the wall and bolt in some areas. The walls set in a trough type thing and that is siliconed and then the wall is set in it.

To have the frame powdercoated it has to be complete. I do not think I would have room to get any good sized sheets in with out destroying the poweder coating. Most build their walls laying on a table, then attach to the trailer. Their walls are their frame. I do not feel that is strong enough, I have seen wood walled trailers after impact, and I have seen steel walled trailer after impact, there is absolutely no comparison as to damage.

For met to get a pretty interrior I think it would require going to the aluminum frame/foam/fiberglass walls. I am taking blue prints to the manufacturer to get a cost. Plus their lead engineer can take the trailer, put it on one of his programs and structurally test mine compared to the aluminum bolted type. He has already told me that mine will be stronger, but he assumed theirs would be very close. If that proves to be the case I will most likely go that way. Or I may sell the trailer design to them. They have statde interest. Might be the best way and just let me play with them. lol

Anyway.

That would give me a better interrior package and a lighter trailer.

Draw back would be time designing the walls, connection design and cost outlay.

bob

Adventurer
My trailer width is 80 inches. I am running 35 inch tires, I have 3 inches of clearance between the outer wall of the trailer to contact of the tire. I feel that is needed to protect the trailer from rocks wedging between the wheel and the wall. I do have a fully enclosed wheel well though. I could build the wall on a jig and bolt the top and weld the base. By bringing the walls out and above the wheel wells I could make the frame narrower, but then I have to find different water tanks. Can be done for sure. Jon at All Pro Off Road wants me to help him build one very similar to what you are describing.

Doors are the main problem to over come. Not many offerend and do not want to make one. I want one designed for a tear drop that has seals, screens and locking capaicity. If you look at the side of the trailer you will see the amount of room I have. My mattresses are 8 inches thick Restava memory foam. I am alreay into that. I only have maybe two inches to raist the door or then I will have problems with the awning. Heck I will just build another 5th wheel!!!!!!!!.

This is not a big trailer, the box is on 9'5 inches long.

I talked with the wife, and she said if I want to build one go for it. Thank God for Christmas bonuses.

Like I said I am striving to make the best thing out there. I truly believe my trailer is every bit as good as anything on the market currently, if not a whole lot better, but I never stop trying to improve something. I thank you for all your ideas and comments. keep them coming.

Hope you had a great Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year.

lilgription

Observer
Bob I may have missed it , but where did you find the windows and side-door? If anybody else knows of a good place to get them please feel free to chime in or PM me.. Thanks

bob

Adventurer
Door was from Vintage Technologys. The windows were bought a RV salvage shop in Rialto. Can not think of the name. I have made a deal with a RV manufacturer to provide all three on production model.

lilgription

Observer
Door was from Vintage Technologys. The windows were bought a RV salvage shop in Rialto. Can not think of the name. I have made a deal with a RV manufacturer to provide all three on production model.

Cool .Thanks Bob..I think you have inspired my winter project.lol.. Great build and I'm sure that all your hard work will pay off

bob

Adventurer
Steve, the tread is the Goodyear Kevlar MTR, we painted a piece of paper and backed the tire onto the paper while wet. My idea was to have it look like it was sliding into a curve or coming out of curve, so the graphics guy twisted the print and this is what we came up with. Contact Rick at www.aviwraps.com, he can help you with your trailer graphics no question. He is one of the top grahic artists in the country. Does a lot of stuff at Sema and is one of the top students if the French God of this stuff. Great guy, not the cheapest place, but does fantastic work and it will be done when he say so. Tell him I referred you he will give you a discount, or maybe charge you more. lol.

microcampers

MicroCampers
Steve, the tread is the Goodyear Kevlar MTR, we painted a piece of paper and backed the tire onto the paper while wet. My idea was to have it look like it was sliding into a curve or coming out of curve, so the graphics guy twisted the print and this is what we came up with. Contact Rick at www.aviwraps.com, he can help you with your trailer graphics no question. He is one of the top grahic artists in the country. Does a lot of stuff at Sema and is one of the top students if the French God of this stuff. Great guy, not the cheapest place, but does fantastic work and it will be done when he say so. Tell him I referred you he will give you a discount, or maybe charge you more. lol.
So he was able to take that paper print and convert it to a vinyl graphic? That is way cool indeed.

bob

Adventurer
Yea, he is supposed to be one of the best in the world. Great guy. I have been friends with him for about 7 years I guess. Very professional. Give him a call he will help you I am sure.

wikid

Adventurer
In communication with Bob. He cannot log onto the site. I'm not sure what the protocol here is, but would one of the mods help him get his password reset? He thought the password needed to be reset, but cannot get one emailed to him. He has tried this several times already
thanks
Don

Zubicon

Adventurer
Hey Bob, first off nice concept just asking for clarification though; Your initial thought is bringing this trailer to market for 17.5k?

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Zubicon,

Yes that is the price I am trying to hit. But that is the fully loaded trailer. It will have pretty much everything. I had hoped to do the AC for that price, but now looking at the Propex heater being the standard feature with AC being option. The trialer will everything to make the female side happy. If you PM me I will get you my email address and get you a litst of all included in that price. No one is even close to the price I can promise you that.

Zubicon

Adventurer
Much appreciated, but I only asked from a marketing standpoint, having been in the buzz for a few decades. I do all of my own work. Thanks again though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior