Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

wikid

Adventurer
I probably have someone that wants to look at your trailer up close and personal. He is planning for a end of year purchase .

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I am planning on heading to Arizona yet this month. Bringing the trailer. Will talk with you about it later.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Still no password for the Bob deal, have no idea why!!!!! Yesterday I recieved my first email regarding becoming a vendor, took just a little over two months. I should have this completed soon, as the web site should be done shortly. I will start taking orders for them the first of March if interested. Have a great day.

rockman

Adventurer
Thank you for your comments.

The fiberglass is laminated to 2 sheets of luan (made by Eclipse RV manufactureing) and then glued to 3/8inch plyood. A combination of 3M and Gorrila Glue is what the RV manufacturer recommended. I also used tech screws and bolts. If I continue to make the walls this way I will build the whole wall and compress the glue to the plywood or have the walls made with 4 sheets of luan. Would save weight and could be finished on the inside. Looking at several things right now.

The axle is a Dexter Torflex 2700 pound with electric brakes. It is 72 inches face to face. That gives me 3 3/4 inches between the tires and the frame, using 16 inch Moto Metal 951 wheels, and 35 inch tires. The trailer to the outside of the fenders is 80 inches wide.

Hope that answers all your questions, if not do not hesitate to ask.

Bob ... in regards to the width of the axle ... do you make the track of the trailer to suit the trailer or to suit the tow vehicle .
I have made the mistake of the track width of my trailer is approx 4'' narrower then the tow vehicle , I am unsure of whether to make it the same width or go a touch wider for the extra stability .
Would 4" of extra track width make a small amount of difference or a large amount of difference ?.

Any idea's at all would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers Jim

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Jim,

I just typed at a whole novel on this and it just disappeared. Darn.

It depends on how you are using the trailer. If for long straight dusty desert roads width will be no problem. Tight mountain trails with bolders and trees, you normally want the trailer 4 inches to a foot narrower than the toe vehicle.

I always try to make mine a little narrower than they are tall. IE Tear Drop is 84 inches high, width is 80 inches. My expedition trailers (box type like AT's) are normally just right at 75 inches and the width is 70 inches. I build most of my trailers for FJ's and Jeeps.

But our trails are normally narrower than other places, most in California were made by motorcycles and horeses and then the jeeps. A problem for the FJ's at times. You need to decide what type trails you normally run and correc to that.

I would say that going 2 inches wider thant the tow vehicle will not be a problem, as most are not quite as crazy with bolders as the group around here.

Hope that helps.

rockman

Adventurer
Jim,

I just typed at a whole novel on this and it just disappeared. Darn.

It depends on how you are using the trailer. If for long straight dusty desert roads width will be no problem. Tight mountain trails with bolders and trees, you normally want the trailer 4 inches to a foot narrower than the toe vehicle.

I always try to make mine a little narrower than they are tall. IE Tear Drop is 84 inches high, width is 80 inches. My expedition trailers (box type like AT's) are normally just right at 75 inches and the width is 70 inches. I build most of my trailers for FJ's and Jeeps.

But our trails are normally narrower than other places, most in California were made by motorcycles and horeses and then the jeeps. A problem for the FJ's at times. You need to decide what type trails you normally run and correc to that.

I would say that going 2 inches wider thant the tow vehicle will not be a problem, as most are not quite as crazy with bolders as the group around here.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that Bob .

The tracks that we do to get out camping are more hilly / angle style of driving , not so much tight rock work .
At the moment the camper's track is 1800mm , the 80 series cruiser's track is 1900mm .I was looking at going either to 1900mm or even a touch more , just for stability reasons . I have to go to either a new axle or to use some wheel spacers .Not ever having used spacers before , I am a bit concerned about any extra stress that they may place on bearings or the axle .
Increasing the track by 100mm or so , will that make a slight difference or will it be quite noticeable ?.
Thanks for your help .

Cheers Jim

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
width

I would go with the new axles if you can afford it. I will look at the mm ruler tomorrow after I get back from a trail run.

I think 170mm would do what you want it to do.

Also anything you can move to floor level or below, even when loading, put as much as possible on the floor.

Not being to good with metric measuring, I think that would cure your problem. Have you cured the tongue weight situation? .

I will look on here before I leave in the morning to see what you think.

Bob

rockman

Adventurer
I would go with the new axles if you can afford it. I will look at the mm ruler tomorrow after I get back from a trail run.

I think 170mm would do what you want it to do.

Also anything you can move to floor level or below, even when loading, put as much as possible on the floor.

Not being to good with metric measuring, I think that would cure your problem. Have you cured the tongue weight situation? .

I will look on here before I leave in the morning to see what you think.

Bob

We relocated the dual batteries from the rear of the trailer and brought them forward to the draw-bar , the batteries where approx 60kg ( 120 pound ).
We mover the water-tank forward 12" towards the front on the trailer , this should have moved around 40-kg ( 80-100 pound ) .
I am yet to see if the 35" will fit back where the spare came from , the 33" lived there before , might be a bit tight with the 35" .
This seems to have solved the swaying in the rear of the camper . I now have a drawbar weight of approx 10-12% of the trailer .
In regards to loading , I can't move anything else around , all the heavy stuff is down at chassis height now .
All I can hope for is that to widen the axle will give me the stability I'm chasing .

Thanks for your help Bob .

Cheers Jim

F4B UP

ourayfiberglasswallsgoingonwithdoor0051-1.jpg

ourayfiberglasswallsgoingonwithdoor0021.jpg

OURAYsecondwallandaccessdoors0061-1.jpg

OURAYsecondwallandaccessdoors0071-1.jpg

:drool:
And it's time to let the builder chime in here... I have taken his comments and added to the appropriate set of pictures, so be sure to go back to the beginning to get the story behind the build in his words. Apologies to all for not inserting them before.

Hi where do you buy the doors and windows from? ANY links to sites who sell these please.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
teardroptrailerparts.com has all the doors and windows for the builders here. Thats where I will be getting mine from.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Sorry I missed your question, but Cowboy has given you good information. I bought my door from a guy in Michigan, I will look up the name for you if you still need it. I actually bought the side and front window on line. As at the time had little interest in establishing a supplier. I think I have locked that down now, but still a few days out.

F4B UP

Sorry I missed your question, but Cowboy has given you good information. I bought my door from a guy in Michigan, I will look up the name for you if you still need it. I actually bought the side and front window on line. As at the time had little interest in establishing a supplier. I think I have locked that down now, but still a few days out.

So your continuing then? Great to here, i'm building a base camp sleep in trailer here in the UK, your build has been an inspiration.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
It is such a headache getting all the items in line. DMV, Website, Vendor status. I have a regular job that requires me to be on call pretty much 24/7. Have a lot of time off so to speak, but it never seems to fail, if I need to be off doing something with the trailer, I get called into work. I have had to cancel two DMV local meetings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan