Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Taking the trailer on a run tomorrow, will try to GoPro it and have other pictures taken for Web Site. Closing in on that. Had no idea it would take so long.

ronner

I keep thinking about the discussion of wider sleeping area (walls of trailer extend to outside, or at least closer to the edges of the fenders) vesus keeping the exisitng offset. I think this really comes down to the types of terrain we all experience. Those of us in So Cal often find either narrow canyon walls or trails with large boulders on either side that, if a trailer is off-camber, there is a very likely chance the upper portions of the trailer will come into contact with the obstacle. Trees also can be a simlar challenge.
Some examples would be Dedeckera Canyon's boulders /steps, Slot canyons near Salton Sea, Monache (trees), etc.

That is why I would trade off width of the sleeping area for better chances of avoiding contact.

I can certainly understand the other side. Tough dilemma. I guess you will have to make two types Bob.
;)
Best,
Ron

Uncle Roger

Observer
I learned to day I need some type of locking device to keep the back door from coming down in the wind. Will work on that his weekend hopefully.

We have a Columbus rooftop tent (from Autohome) that uses gas struts with a screw-wheel that you can tighten to keep it from collapsing in the wind. I don't think we've ever used them, but something similar could work for you, perhaps.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I will look for struts with the screws, but doubtfull I will find them. Most likely just a bar with tabs welded on the end that clip in.

Yesterday I took the trailer on its toughest test to date. Carvacre trail and Pancake Rock. A lot of twisting and turning, wheels off the ground for the FJ, but the trailer never left the ground nor did it get close to tipping over. Ronner touched on things that happened yesterday. Burnt area, with lots of Manzanita tree remains, which are like giant rock thorns. Many bolders on the trail to get over and around, lying in areas with straight up walls. Twisting through these I watched the trailer and saw how close it came to these obstacles. Some very very close, which would have been damage to the trailer, not stucturally but beauty wise. Spending that much on a trailer I would not have been happy with a big scratch or possibly a puncture.

I will offer a wider trailer, but I think what I have is the perfect configuration.

I will try to get the pictures up soon.

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Sounds exciting Bob...are you loading all tanks to simulate full load?

Just curious...and glad you're getting it out!

Pictures would be a nice touch comma :ylsmoke:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Pat you have mail, one of the pictures that will be posted later.

Actually no, I have a half tank of water, but the more water the lower the center of gravity would be as it is below the floor and directly over the axle, everything else is trail ready. This trailer works better than my box trailer did, and I was taking it down Black Bear Pass last year, but it was closed while we were there. I think this one could make it. Width is my only concern.

Found out there were actually bets on the trailer not making it 100 yards up the trail, others thought ten minutes or at the first turn around area. No one gave it a chance of getting to the top. There really was nothing to it. You just have to remember to drive where the trialer is going to go and deal with it as you progress. I have some great photos, just getting them to post is the problem.

Many of the guys had driven the trail quite a few times. A box trailer owner said he would not take his trailer on this trail, as he was sure it would tip over. Having a tent on the top adds a lot of weight high. Pretty much amazement all around. Truly had a ball, fun watching peoples faces when the trailer goes where they know it won't/can't, but does.

As mentioned earlier, I am sticking with this design, even if the RV company says no. I can deal with my goal of one a month, it will be more fun that way anyway. Getting to meet new people and working with them to build what they want and need. As Patti just said, for it to do what we want and expect to it can not be wider in the sleeping area. Mine is 50 inches wide at the top, another ten inches and it would have had major scratches from Manzanita bush and rock scraping down the side. Not worth it. If you can not sleep on a tempurpedic, you were not going to either way.

Last edited:

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Nice video Bob! I think that's probably more trail than most owners would run, but it's very nice to have the capability in case you find yourself somewhere unexpected.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
mathewp,

I have some amazing photos taken at the same trail, unfortunately I am not getting them to post, if you pm me your email address I will send them to you. You will not believe them, way more difficult than what the video shows.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Anyone in the Phoenix area, I will have the trailer this weekend, showing it to two buyers and visiting with releation and Mr. Wikid. Just PM me your information and I will make it happen.

TSAdventurez

Blogger/Adventurer

hey where did you get the grating for the side steps/ fenders? sorry if this is an obvious answer but ive tried hard ware store around here and found nothing am i asking for the wrong thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78