Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Looking for input!

I want to bond a solar panel (well mounts) to my roof. The mounts and roof are bare Aluminum (well I have the ABS corner mounts, but reading is making me not want to use them due to ABS being hard to bond to). Panel is ~40lbs. Centered in roof.

Options:

Sika 252, its currently cold, it cure REALLY slow in cold (but I can deal with that). Sika does not want any of their products used in RV/Trailer/Vehicle bonding applications. Sika 252 Data
Tensile strength 435psi, elongation at break 400%, tensile lap strength 360psi

3m 5200, cure faster when cold, does not like UV (but the bond area is not exposed to UV?) does not bond to ALU as strongly. 5200 Data
Tensile 705psi, elongation 762%, overlap shear on Alu 393psi

Weldmount AT-6030, weld substitute structural acrylic. Fast cure, does not like low temps. Weldmount Data
Lap shear on alu 2800psi, elongation 100-125%,

Six10 Epoxy, not as flexible, slow cure (faster than 252) in cold six10 Data
Tensile 6440 psi, elongation 7.9%

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I’m not sure about the cold but I used Sika 252 on the 3 Freightliners with the ABS corners. No screws at all and no issues in the AZ heat and UV. Whichever way you go I would suggest you cover them with the stuff they seal the rubber RV roofs with ( names escapes me at the moment. It’s a bugger getting old). If you check Scooters thread (International ambo) he details how he mounted his including the sealer.

java

Expedition Leader
I’m not sure about the cold but I used Sika 252 on the 3 Freightliners with the ABS corners. No screws at all and no issues in the AZ heat and UV. Whichever way you go I would suggest you cover them with the stuff they seal the rubber RV roofs with ( names escapes me at the moment. It’s a bugger getting old). If you check Scooters thread (International ambo) he details how he mounted his including the sealer.

Thanks, That adds a bit of confidence. Did you use all the aktivator and primers? Cover the abs just to keep the UV off? Ill look at Scooters!

EDIT: @Ozrockrat what size panel? Any concern using those corners on a big one? 365w

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I didn’t use the activator and only had brake cleaner as the primer but it was onto freshly ground aluminum. I have 60 cell panels on my trucks (just because that’s what would fit) and I only used corners. If I had the 72 cell panels I may of used the side supports as well on the long side (I bought them just didn’t use them).

Also because ambulances have a sloped roof I put them all in place at one time wet. And used the panel with weights on it to get them into the right position and hold them there. Needed a few sets of hands.

java

Expedition Leader
I didn’t use the activator and only had brake cleaner as the primer but it was onto freshly ground aluminum. I have 60 cell panels on my trucks (just because that’s what would fit) and I only used corners. If I had the 72 cell panels I may of used the side supports as well on the long side (I bought them just didn’t use them).

Also because ambulances have a sloped roof I put them all in place at one time wet. And used the panel with weights on it to get them into the right position and hold them there. Needed a few sets of hands.

OK thanks! The primer they spec'ed was $75 for 6oz! I have the aktivator......

I got up there and sanded the roof a bit yesterday, but will clean it up prior to glue. Needed the panel for placement. I had the same thoughts on wet set the corners with the panel in place. my roof is almost flat, but has a little curve to it.

Anyone around Seattle have a big ass shop I can park in for a couple days?! :D:D

java

Expedition Leader
Well my heat set up didnt work much without the panel in place. Roof was just above freezing.... Checked this morning and I think the air gap under the panel is helping, there was no frost at the back edge of the blankets!

Sand all the mounting areas, wipe with acetone, wipe with acetone and wipe with acetone. Apply primer, wait 15 mins for flash off.

45278380575_c06965621e_b.jpg

Panel set in place to figure out spacing. I could not use the center mounts(the palstic ones), too much curve in the roof. So I cut and pre drilled some alu angle.

46190707491_edc85bc4f4_b.jpg

Bonded the entry gland in place also. I put it in the back over the "storage area" easy place to get wires in, and best possible spot to have a leak in the worst case scenario. Threw some heat packs on it to try to keep it warm.... Covered in a few towels.

46140169372_1cafde030e_b.jpg

Blankets and tarped for the night, heat cranked inside and roof fan on :D

46190707751_c36bd39ea9_b.jpg

Fatboyz

Observer
I'm struggling with the cold here to, except it's -22 here this morning! I want to paint and insulate my box so I'm looking into renting a heated bay for a month. With the slow down in the oilfield there are lots of open shops. For a cash deal might get a bay cheap, at least it would pay their heating for the month.

Fatboyz

Observer
I'm wondering if you bought your "entry gland" as part of the kit, or separate? I read somewhere in the 12v solar forum a specific name for that type of part but I can't remember what its called? I want to put all those roof penetrations in before insulating if I can.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
https://www.amazon.com/Link-Solar-Weatherproof-Project-Campervan/dp/B0111RNZDY

this is the sort of thing - I have one too but decided against solar for now so didn't install it (yet)

truck's looking great - when I got mine I ended up renting a garage for about 5 months over the wet/cold winter.... even as ridiculous as my project has gotten it would be even further behind if hadn't done that. Ability to be dry/warm and leave it completely ripped apart but secured was HUGE - enabled me to re-wire everything and gut both the cab and box. if it's in your budget, do yourself a favor and do it - it will really jumpstart your project (and the fact you're spending money on it helps to motivate you to keep grinding away and working on it!)

java

Expedition Leader
I'm struggling with the cold here to, except it's -22 here this morning! I want to paint and insulate my box so I'm looking into renting a heated bay for a month. With the slow down in the oilfield there are lots of open shops. For a cash deal might get a bay cheap, at least it would pay their heating for the month.

Yeah I wish my truck would fit in my shop at work! Door is too small and the bay is too short.... But a big shop sure would have been nice over my gravel driveway in the rain....

I'm wondering if you bought your "entry gland" as part of the kit, or separate? I read somewhere in the 12v solar forum a specific name for that type of part but I can't remember what its called? I want to put all those roof penetrations in before insulating if I can.

See below :D

https://www.amazon.com/Link-Solar-Weatherproof-Project-Campervan/dp/B0111RNZDY

this is the sort of thing - I have one too but decided against solar for now so didn't install it (yet)

truck's looking great - when I got mine I ended up renting a garage for about 5 months over the wet/cold winter.... even as ridiculous as my project has gotten it would be even further behind if hadn't done that. Ability to be dry/warm and leave it completely ripped apart but secured was HUGE - enabled me to re-wire everything and gut both the cab and box. if it's in your budget, do yourself a favor and do it - it will really jumpstart your project (and the fact you're spending money on it helps to motivate you to keep grinding away and working on it!)

That the one, Amazon said I bought that one Dec 5 2016. Eeek its been awhile.... I too was waffling on solar, decided to do it finally, microwave use has been using a little more battery power. I seem to use 50-60ah a day in the winter.

Took these this morning, it appears my heating situation is working, although im sure my electricity bill will be lovely :D Pulled the blankets and tarp back yesterday, roof/panel/mounts were 45-50 degrees! And the sika is pretty set up.

46203725551_5c02063e1c_b.jpg

May have gone a little overkill on the wires, its 8ga....

32331597988_0aa433f7f6_b.jpg

And a question..... Does it look like I may have a leak in the cab somewhere? That is condensed on the inside..... (remember the heat is on pretty high in there, but it hasn't rained in a week) I see that quite often on the inside, although not usually so much.

32331597648_892b46c85c_b.jpg

racer3822

Observer
I haven't had a chance to go through all 82 pages, but this is a great build. What a find on an existing box on the truck. Can't wait until I have more time to check it out.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
And a question..... Does it look like I may have a leak in the cab somewhere? That is condensed on the inside..... (remember the heat is on pretty high in there, but it hasn't rained in a week) I see that quite often on the inside, although not usually so much.

32331597648_892b46c85c_b.jpg

Cab lights on the roof are notorious for leaking. Break out the silicone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78