Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

ripperj

Explorer
Annnnd Done!!!

32367113491_d21e19b465_b.jpg

Now a Question: Has anyone seen or extended themselves the exhaust/intake for a furnace? They all are designed for 2" wall thickness. Ideally I would install it in a spot that I need ~12" from exterior to heater.

I realize this is far longer than the OE designed, and exhaust temps need to stay up for proper flow, but it would be great to be able to do this..... Welding a stainless extension on is no issue.

What furnace? My Attwood has different length intake/ exhaust ducts. It's for accommodation of different depth cabinets, but would also deal with thicker walls. I ended up getting the next longer size than what came stock with it

Sent from my Passport

java

Expedition Leader
What furnace? My Attwood has different length intake/ exhaust ducts. It's for accommodation of different depth cabinets, but would also deal with thicker walls. I ended up getting the next longer size than what came stock with it

Sent from my Passport
Looking at a suburban, they have longer ones, but nothing 12"

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ripperj

Explorer
Here is the shorter stock and the longer that I ordered

Sent from my Passport

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1485211411897.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1485211411897.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 95

java

Expedition Leader
That's the hot air out side though isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ripperj

Explorer
It's kind of both, the exhaust runs through the combustion intake.

I would give Attwood a call, I think my longer vent is the middle of three available, and would get you 7.5". According to the book, the longest would get you another 4"

Sent from my Passport

java

Expedition Leader
Called Suburban, They don't want to talk to non certified installers.... They sell a longer pipe, its 7.25" long. Seems to me a few more inches wont hurt. I measured yesterday, I need 11.75" from outside of wall to front of furnace. The pipe needs 1.25" of overlap, so I would need one that is 13"

Edward.moseley

Called Suburban, They don't want to talk to non certified installers.... They sell a longer pipe, its 7.25" long. Seems to me a few more inches wont hurt. I measured yesterday, I need 11.75" from outside of wall to front of furnace. The pipe needs 1.25" of overlap, so I would need one that is 13"
Are you sure you what to install a furnace? They are not very efficient and use a lot of battery power. Have you looked into ventless propane heaters? We're gonna get a camco Olympian catalytic heater, as it runs off low pressure propane.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Are you sure you what to install a furnace? They are not very efficient and use a lot of battery power. Have you looked into ventless propane heaters? We're gonna get a camco Olympian catalytic heater, as it runs off low pressure propane.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I am sure, I don't want the moisture from a catalytic heater, and they also burn the air from inside. The one i am looking at draws 2.8 amps while running. That's the same as the Webasto diesel heater (iirc they are 2.75amps) that is an option as well.

DzlToy

Explorer
A proper RV or marine furnace will draw air from the exterior and exhaust it to thr exterior. Thus, you are not combusting your interior air and therefore do not need to bring in more cold air, which then must be heated.

Have you considered a propane fired coolant heater piped to a small radiator?

Propane and beeswax are the two most efficient fuels that you can buy. I will let you guess which one is cheaper. Clear kerosene is a close second in efficiency.

java

Expedition Leader
A proper RV or marine furnace will draw air from the exterior and exhaust it to thr exterior. Thus, you are not combusting your interior air and therefore do not need to bring in more cold air, which then must be heated.

Have you considered a propane fired coolant heater piped to a small radiator?

Propane and beeswax are the two most efficient fuels that you can buy. I will let you guess which one is cheaper. Clear kerosene is a close second in efficiency.

Yes exactly, another reason I don't want to use a catalytic heater. I will likely use a suburban rv 16k btu unit as it fits best in the space I have for it.

No I looked into coolant heaters, but they just added too much cost. If I was to do it that way I would do underfloor loops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears