Skinny 35s: Looking for options

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Skinny 35s: Looking for options:

This is for an LJ. I'm looing for some 35s that are on the narrower side. It doesn't matter if they are AT or MT, but I'd like to try something around 35X10.5 to 35x11. It doesn't matter if they are for 16 or 17" rims.

Plus, they can be BIG 34s or small 35s.

Antwon412

I have Kenda Klever 35X10.5r17 on my Gladiator. I’m pretty happy with them. I got them for a killer price and occasionally they go on sale if you keep an eye out for them.

On my TJ I have a set of Maxxis RAZR in 33x10.5r15. Not sure if they’re available in a 35 but they’re also pretty decent

33.9”, 8.9” wide. They’ve fit well for me on rims as narrow as 5”; 6-6.5” are best. Not for speed demons, rated up to 75mph. Have some on Landcruiser 40 series type vehicle right now (OJ50).

Have you compared mpg with anything else?
Mpg? Don’t understand question. They’re 7% taller than typical 31.7” tires, so effective gearing is original x 0.935. I’m leaving stock H41 4 spd, axles are a fast 3.7 due to OEM MB OM314 motor (2800rpm max, cruise 2000-2400), putting 4:1 Orion TC in.
Haven’t driven far enough to evaluate mpgs, expect 23-25mpg due to similar engine in previous FJ40 diesel conversion

Anyone that finds or knows of new 8.25’s please advise as several Rover guys are looking for them, thanks!
Vrakking has tons of new ones , but in Netherlands. When I’m there later in year sourcing 395/85R20 XZL2 for my U500 on the way to Africa, I’ll enquire re shipping to NA.
I could put 4 x 8.25s on the roof of my camper across Canada returning home in 2024-5.

^^^ Load range E. Would'nt be my first choice.
What’s wrong with that?
The idea that radial LR E light truck tires “ride stiffer” than the same tire in LR D is IMHO completely incorrect.
Especially when they don’t have steel sidewalls. And in many cases when they do.
Often, the tires are identical, the higher LR version has a lower speed rating and that’s it. That’s straight out of the mouth of a tire engineer I met in person at an exhibition that included his company’s tire.
In most cases, the writing on the sidewalls will show the same number of (polyester) plies, the tread will have the same number of plies; and often (not necessarily always) the weight will be identical.
If you can, please find examples of tires that are identical except for LR (same mfg, model, tread etc etc) and show me a weight difference.
In my long 4x4 experience with light and heavy 4x4s, the tire things that ensure a nice ride are:
1) smallest diameter wheel (and not too wide!!) that won’t interfere with brakes
2) bigger overall diameter
3) 1 + 2 work because air chamber is larger volume
4) lowest pressure that is appropriate for terrain and speed. I OVERinflate on highway, but not off highway. Speed control is critical for this.
5) Yes, a heavy traction tread will cause a bit of high frequency vibration going really slow on a really smooth surface, noise and heat running fast. But last time I checked, this isn’t a mall cruising site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior