Skinny Guy Campers Armor

ARMI_gander

Well comparing this new rig to buying a used pos with good bones is kind of silly.

Skilled welders electrician etc need to be paid if you want a solid built trailer.

This is a "retail trailer" forum perhaps your research should be more geared to the DIY forum if you think your going to find a new off road stand up with wet bath for under 40k.

All this said looking a bit closer at this trailer the interior is quite basic. Like to get a closer look at chassis. Red Arc electronics, 3,000 watt inverter, truma combi an AC.

Not saying they are not making a profit but this trailer is not over priced IMAO
Haha, I agree that this trailer is nowhere near overpriced.

Just to compare Apples to Oranges here (so others don't get misled):

(Not knocking Bushwackers whatsoever)
- Bushwacker XLs are laminated construction with paneling, fiberglass, and styrofoam
- They're typical RV construction for a price-point trailer and full of wood, staples, glue, etc
- It's a teardrop...

The Skinny Guy Camper Armor Construction
- ZERO wood, zero framing in the walls (High strength Composite panels)
- This almost eliminates thermal bridging and keeps heat (or AC) inside the box when you want it
- The exoskeleton creates the structure of the box, not staples, screws, etc.

All that being said, the two trailers aren't even in the same category so they can't be compared, regardless of the company that owns them both. I believe their nearest competition to the Armor is the Pause, which has a MSRP over $100k.

To put it in perspective, Volkswagen Group owns VW... they also own Lamborghini. Are the two cars also built the same? ;-) I can't wait until we can all see them on the lot so we can see the difference for ourselves.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well comparing this new rig to buying a used pos with good bones is kind of silly.

Skilled welders electrician etc need to be paid if you want a solid built trailer.

This is a "retail trailer" forum perhaps your research should be more geared to the DIY forum if you think your going to find a new off road stand up with wet bath for under 40k.

All this said looking a bit closer at this trailer the interior is quite basic. Like to get a closer look at chassis. Red Arc electronics, 3,000 watt inverter, truma combi an AC.

Not saying they are not making a profit but this trailer is not over priced IMAO
Actually, no, still a "retail trailer", never said a word about DIY, but, now I'm wondering if you have some relationship with this company?
I'm saying, I think, this unit is not worth what you actually get for your money, perhaps the disagreement is really about the value of a dollar.
I've always paid my workers well, an honest day's wage for an honest day's labor, problem is, not many today even know what an honest day's labor is.
Beware of "eyewash", a 3000 watt inverter as an example. Any idea of what the battery capacity would be needed to run even 2500 watts on a hot summer day for 8 hours? LOL!

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Actually, no, still a "retail trailer", never said a word about DIY, but, now I'm wondering if you have some relationship with this company?
I'm saying, I think, this unit is not worth what you actually get for your money, perhaps the disagreement is really about the value of a dollar.
I've always paid my workers well, an honest day's wage for an honest day's labor, problem is, not many today even know what an honest day's labor is.
Beware of "eyewash", a 3000 watt inverter as an example. Any idea of what the battery capacity would be needed to run even 2500 watts on a hot summer day for 8 hours? LOL!

I agree my statement about DYI may have been off topic. Not sure which used trailer with aluminum cage you can get for10 k that is not a Elkhart built nightmare? Maybe an example?

No not affiliated with Skinny Guy or any other trailer company unless being a customer is considered affiliated.

Haha, I agree that this trailer is nowhere near overpriced.

Just to compare Apples to Oranges here (so others don't get misled):

(Not knocking Bushwackers whatsoever)
- Bushwacker XLs are laminated construction with paneling, fiberglass, and styrofoam
- They're typical RV construction for a price-point trailer and full of wood, staples, glue, etc
- It's a teardrop...

The Skinny Guy Camper Armor Construction
- ZERO wood, zero framing in the walls (High strength Composite panels)
- This almost eliminates thermal bridging and keeps heat (or AC) inside the box when you want it
- The exoskeleton creates the structure of the box, not staples, screws, etc.

All that being said, the two trailers aren't even in the same category so they can't be compared, regardless of the company that owns them both. I believe their nearest competition to the Armor is the Pause, which has a MSRP over $100k.

To put it in perspective, Volkswagen Group owns VW... they also own Lamborghini. Are the two cars also built the same? ;-) I can't wait until we can all see them on the lot so we can see the difference for ourselves.

I don't think the Pause is the nearest comparison. I personally think the Pauses are way to heavy and are over priced but just thier electronics alone separate it from this SG trailer.

Looking at the specs of this skinnyguy it states 600 watt solar capacity. Please tell me that means the listed price includes 600 watts of solar panels and not you can fit 600 watts of panels on the roof. Also please tell me the listed price includes at least 200 amp/hr lithium batteries? If not this is weak to offer AC and 3,000 watt inverter standard and no solar or batteries. If this the case that is an Elkhart move all the way.

Last edited:

ARMI_gander

I don't think the Pause is the nearest comparison. I personally think the Pauses are way to heavy and are over priced but just thier electronics alone separate it from this SG trailer.

Looking at the specs of this skinnyguy it states 600 watt solar capacity. Please tell me that means the listed price includes 600 watts of solar panels and not you can fit 600 watts of panels on the roof. Also please tell me the listed price includes at least 200 amp/hr lithium batteries? If not this is weak to offer AC and 3,000 watt inverter standard and no solar or batteries. If this the case that is an Elkhart move all the way.
Yeah, by nearest competition, I just meant from the composite panel construction style.

It looks like they changed some stuff up after the prototype. I attached their latest flyer, downloaded from their site (which I'm assuming is where you saw that). Upgraded solar to 600w (I assume the panels are actually on the roof already), 12V Nomadic AC, and changed the inverter to 2000w since the AC is only 12V now.

Attachments

• SGC_Armor_1Pager_v5-1 (1).pdf
    3 MB · Views: 10

Yeah, by nearest competition, I just meant from the composite panel construction style.

It looks like they changed some stuff up after the prototype. I attached their latest flyer, downloaded from their site (which I'm assuming is where you saw that). Upgraded solar to 600w (I assume the panels are actually on the roof already), 12V Nomadic AC, and changed the inverter to 2000w since the AC is only 12V now.

2000w inverter makes more sense for sure.

"600W Solar Capacity"
"Prep for large battery bank"

This kind of implies they are not sure how these first runs are going to be speced.

Time will tell but i would be weary of throwing down on one of these until you know exactly what your getting

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Not trying to take this off topic, just a comment; A 2000 watt rig makes sense for most needs from any trailer, save yourself some money, time and headaches, use a solar generator, like a Bluetti 200P (2000+ watts) with 700 watts of panels.

Not trying to take this off topic, just a comment; A 2000 watt rig makes sense for most needs from any trailer, save yourself some money, time and headaches, use a solar generator, like a Bluetti 200P (2000+ watts) with 700 watts of panels.

Is that all that much cheaper? Considering the solar generators do increase the need for more solar panels. You must work for Bluetti. Just kidding.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Is that all that much cheaper? Considering the solar generators do increase the need for more solar panels. You must work for Bluetti. Just kidding.
lol, no, it's cheaper and they don't increase the "need" it's that the blueitti charges faster with a max 700 watts in, you could use 400 watts, just takes longer.

It's not just storage batteries, 10 gauge wire isn't cheap, then connectors, then fuse block, then switches, then a pure sine inverter, then mounts, panels, connectors, etc. Have fun building that system and it won't have the features built into most "generators".

That much for that trailer and you can't even get 500 watts on the roof!?!

Shouldn't be hard to devise a tracking rack system of panels that could be base mounted on your little trailer, just set aside more money, like $5000 should do it. LOL

lol, no, it's cheaper and they don't increase the "need" it's that the blueitti charges faster with a max 700 watts in, you could use 400 watts, just takes longer.

It's not just storage batteries, 10 gauge wire isn't cheap, then connectors, then fuse block, then switches, then a pure sine inverter, then mounts, panels, connectors, etc. Have fun building that system and it won't have the features built into most "generators".

That much for that trailer and you can't even get 500 watts on the roof!?!

Shouldn't be hard to devise a tracking rack system of panels that could be base mounted on your little trailer, just set aside more money, like $5000 should do it. LOL

Thanks for the explanation. I know i considered going this route with my trailer but it was two plus years ago and I can't ever remember why I didn't.

Risar

Bingo. There are zero comparable units in the market. Closest options are all well over 100k

Assuming you wanted to build a comparable unit you’d either need to hold your time in low regard or be very skilled and build it fast as hell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior