Sleeping Bag & Pad Recommendations for Big Guys?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm 6'-7" and +300 lbs, 54" chest. I am looking for a sleeping bag that I can comfortably fit in, and a pad that is about 40" wide or so. I am basically the same shape and size as THREE wine barrels stacked on top of each other :)

I HATE skinny pads where it feels like I am sleeping on a balance beam. I am currently using an REI Camp Bed 3.5" XL, and its about 32" wide and way too skinny. I don't need the 3.5" thickness. I am just as comfortable on a 2" thick Thermarest Base Camp pad, in terms of padding thickness and insulation. I also use an old goose down 20 degree Campmor rectangular bag, that is long enough, but I can't zip the upper half if I want my arms to be inside the bag because my shoulders are too wide. Portability and packable is still a requirement, but this is for car camping, not ultralite hiking.

What are your recommendations? FWIW, I don't want a "twin" or double mattress" I do still need to fit other family members and/or friends in the tent with me! A single 1.5 width would be great instead of a twin :)

Last edited:

gkieser92

I know it's not a high-end brand, but I have a big Ozark Trail 0 degree sleeping bag that was given to me, and it has kept me comfy and warm on some really cold nights. BTW, I'm 6'5" and 3-fiddy.

dstefan

I have the same pad and also find it just a tad narrow, and I am “only“ 6‘3“. But it works for me and I don’t have a better recommendation on the pad. As far as the sleeping bag goes, I really hate being all the way in a sleeping bag, so I keep mine open like a quilt upside down over me. I find my shoulders and arms can get cold, so I have a lightweight 600 fill down REI camp throw that I lay over my shoulders and tuck in. It works great. Maybe something additional like that would make your current bag work well for you?

AERONAUT outdoor

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Bag wise I'd super recommend a very warm quilt and just burrito it around yourself. Here's a plug for our Aeronaut hoverquilt. Other companies would rate it at 15F (we call it what it really is, 30F for comfort).

If you feel like you need an enclosed bag bag, Marmot sawtooth X-Wide is a pretty good option but I'm not sure it comes in long anymore. Worth a look.

The NEMO Jazz is a few inches wider and fully rec, but might be colder (30F limit rating, so realistically 40-45F comfortable)

For sleeping pads, GFC has a puff pad that's 50" wide (maybe a bit too wide..?), and it might be a tad long at 90" since it's designed to fill their RTT

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
When I used to use a sleeping bag it was a rectangular REI extra length one. Synthetic fill. I never found one of those pads I liked.
I'm 6'4' 205# now but used to be 235#. We unzip the bag now and throw it on top as a quilt in colder weather.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The blanket idea is what I've been doing with a simple fleece thing that I tuck around my shoulders, but I tend to sleep pretty hot and don't really worry about cold. I rarely have the opportunity to sleep about 10,000 feet anymore, so I am not concerned about rating, other than it might be too warm!
@AERONAUT outdoor - those links are outstanding! That Nemo Jazz has 77" of girth at the shoulders, hip and knees, Wow! Also like that I can unzip either side of the footbox to hang out a leg to cool off.

That GFC pad also looks perfect for what I am looking for. I will need to compare that to the benefits of integrating the NEMO Roamer pad into the Jazz bag. Hmmmm..

The Marmot bag does still come in a X-long, Wide cut, but its still a bit too mummy bag-ish for me. That blanket of yours looks excellent, but a bit out of my price range for now......

AERONAUT outdoor

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Happy to help @nwoods and good luck in your search! I am inspired by everyone on here to do a synthetic quilt that's just as warm as our down quilt (not quite as packable) but still premium feel at a more approachable price point ...

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I'm amazed that you're comfortable on a 2" mattress at your size. Really? I'm half your size and that's too thin for me. I like about 3" on a cot and 4.5" on the ground. I find there's no added comfort beyond 4.5".

If you sleep hot, why do you need a bag that you can zip up completely? If I were your size I would use one single sleeping bag, unzipped, on top of me. Or you can zip it from the foot to mid calf or so and tuck it under you.

The Exped Megamat Duo is 41" wide. Expensive and not fun to roll up.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
@PlacidWaters - Because my bag is always partially unzipped (from head down to about knee level), I kinda fall out of it, and have it draped over top of me, resulting the ends of the bag being under me. I don't like laying on the zippers, which inevitably end up under my back if I try to tuck the sides of the sleeping bag around my shoulders. I also don't like sleeping directly on the matt. Its just not that comfortable against my skin.

That Exped matt would be nice if it was 77" x 41", unfortunately, the 41" wide version is only available for short people. It's all part of the well documented #ConspiracyAgainstTheTall by US Manufactures.

elizer

Klymit has extra wide / tall pads. I really liked mine. If you have the space I use a kelty double wide.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
@PlacidWaters - Because my bag is always partially unzipped (from head down to about knee level), I kinda fall out of it, and have it draped over top of me, resulting the ends of the bag being under me. I don't like laying on the zippers, which inevitably end up under my back if I try to tuck the sides of the sleeping bag around my shoulders. I also don't like sleeping directly on the matt. Its just not that comfortable against my skin.
That Exped matt would be nice if it was 77" x 41", unfortunately, the 41" wide version is only available for short people. It's all part of the well documented #ConspiracyAgainstTheTall by US Manufactures.

Haha! Well, it's also a fact that tall people are more successful in life, so you win out in the end. Some more ideas:
(1) You can cover the mattress with a sheet if you don't like the feeling of the mattress.
(2) The Exped Megamat Duo actually does come in LW, 41" x 77.6" REI has it in stock. It weighs close to 10 lbs and costs $380. Personally I find the weight and price excessive.
(3) You say your sleeping bag is "always" partially unzipped to your knees. If you never plan on using the rest of the zippers, you could cover each zipper with duct tape or something similar. I've never really noticed the feeling of the zipper when using my sleeping bag quilt style. The zipper on a good down sleeping bag is covered by a fabric baffle. Does yours not have these baffles?

I think I'm sending you down the wrong road with the Exped Megamat Duo. People describe having a lot of difficulty getting the air out of that monster and rolling it up. I had the single version and was glad to get rid of it. Can you say more about what you're looking for? Size, weight, price, insulated or not?

How about this? Light, cheap, seems to have good reviews.

Last edited:

Undert0e

Check out the Hest sleep system. Went out last weekend with it and it was the best night I’ve had in the backcountry in a long time. I’m 6’4….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bear100

i use Oztent king goanna stretcher which is very strong and built for us big men, a Exped Mega mat 10 which is extremely comfortable and agin built for the MAN! sleeping bag i have settled on a Robens coulee which is very big and can be used as a duvet or comforter if your from over the pond!
this combo has taken me years to perfect and i can honestly say its perfect. I'm 6ft with a 54" chest

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Went to REI today, tried the NEMO Jazz. Just wasn't feeling it. The hood thing was quite large and the zippers stopped about 18"' from the bottom so you can't quite as easily hang a leg out as I'd like. Otherwise, really nice quality product as you'd expect from NEMO. I was quite surprised that it did not come with a stuff sack. It comes with a suitcase size square duffle bag that is super easy to re-pack the bag into, but its quite large when stowed. It seems like this would fit down nicely into a compression sack, but its not included. I picked up an Exped MegaMondo Mat or whatever its called, just to try it out. at 72" I feel it will be awkwardly short, but the width is nice (41"). Takes FOREVER to fill with air using the little foot pump thing. I am ordering the PuffPad from GoFastCampers to compare. At 90" long, I think it will just barely fit in my tent. Might be perfect, if a bit wide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior