Sleeping Bag & Pad Recommendations for Big Guys?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Haha! Well, it's also a fact that tall people are more successful in life, so you win out in the end.
LOL, thanks for that!

(2) The Exped Megamat Duo actually does come in LW, 41" x 77.6" REI has it in stock. It weighs close to 10 lbs and costs $380. Personally I find the weight and price excessive....I think I'm sending you down the wrong road with the Exped Megamat Duo. People describe having a lot of difficulty getting the air out of that monster and rolling it up. I had the single version and was glad to get rid of it.

I was unable to find that 77"x40" Exped mat. Exped's website doesn't list it, nor does REI. They only offer short and wide, or long and skinny, or long and double wide. The long and wide does not exist. I was very sensitive to your comment about it being a PIA to work with, but I've been playing with the one I bought for the past few evenings and I think they may have made improvements since your past experience. There is a video that talks about these improvements, including a larger purge valve, and a totally different kind of sack to stuff them into. On my living room floor, it seems pretty easy to inflate and deflate. The first time I inflated it, it took quite a while, but if I just let it do its thing, it gets there. Now, after a few cycles, it self inflates to about 75-80% within 15 to 20 minutes, and it takes less than 2 minutes with the hand pump thing to fill it the rest of the way. Rolling it back up has been pretty easy, and it fits in the bag no problem each time.

I can fit two MegaMats in my REI BaseCamp 4 tent, if I turn them sideways. Or, lengthwise it fits fine adjacent to my wife's conventional REI CampBed 3.5" matt, that is about 31" wide. Here is a photo of that:
IMG_0375.jpeg

When rolled up and stowed, its not all that much bigger than the REI mat, and is a few inches shorter it seems:
IMG_0377.jpeg

garwhal

Observer
I will put my plug in for exped. I have been using their products for almost 10 years. I love their quilt system and combine with their mats, nights are great.
I am 6’4’’ and 225.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Oh that reminds me, for the sleeping bag solution, at this stage I will keep what I have, but have added an 80x50 Rumple synthetic down blanket to spread over my upper body. Next trip is back to Death Valley for a week, coming up on the 22nd.

TwinStick

Explorer
The trouble is, that they keep stop making things so often, sometimes what someone has & works great, is no longer available.

I have a 38" wide air mattress from Cabelas for their Alaskan Guide XL cot. It works great. I am 5'6" & 247. A year later we bought a second cot but the only air mattress was a 36" wide one. It works great but I don't think either one is available anymore. If you are vehicle camping, they have a great canvas dock XL sleeping bag.

Good luck with your search.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Oh that reminds me, for the sleeping bag solution, at this stage I will keep what I have, but have added an 80x50 Rumple synthetic down blanket to spread over my upper body. Next trip is back to Death Valley for a week, coming up on the 22nd.

Sounds like you found a good solution to both your mattress and sleeping bag.

What makes the Megamat comparatively hard to roll up is the layer of foam on the top. That's also what makes it so comfortable and usable below zero. If you're happy with the way it rolls up, you have the most comfortable mattress on the market.

The most comfort I've ever had in a tent is the Helinox Cot One Convertible (15" high) with the Exped Synmat 3D-7. The Synmat deflates and rolls up into a very small package in seconds, while the cot adds a degree of comfort that you can't get with any mattress. With a cot you can use a thinner, lighter mattress. But to get that comfort you have to deal with two items rather than one. For me it's definitely worth it.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Back from my trip. Was out for a total of 6 nights, and I can honestly say this is the best I have ever slept camping. The Exped megamat was a game changer for me. Initially, I overinflated it and had to let air out to make it more conforming for hips when laying on my side, but it was still plenty of support for sleeping on my back. Having my arms on either side of my body at the same height as my body made all the difference in the world. It was pretty toasty at night in Death Valley, around 90 degrees until early in the mornings, but I didn't get overly hot on the mat. The Rumpl was nice, but I wish I bought the longer one. Being so warm initially, I had my down sleeping bag fully unzipped and laid out like a blanket under me, and then in the wee hours I would grab the Rumpl and pull it over. The Rumpl is 80" long, and I am 79" long, so not quite enough material to make a foot pocket with. Still, when it gets cooler, I will have my feet in the sleeping bag so the length of the Rumpl will be less of an issue. But I shoulda bought the longer one :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior