Small but Perfectly Formed!

2cv wayne

We introduced Buffy to this site in response to thread "Does anyone know what this is?" and she raised a few smiles. So in brief, this is her tale...

Bought from the other end of the UK with more rust than floors and no MOT, I rebuilt her (now christened Buffy the Empire Slayer) in 6 weeks, to go from London to Ulan Baataar, Mongolia, on 2006 Mongol Rally.Background Rally info is still on our site www.mongolcow.co.uk. but basically,Rally rules are nonexistent (less than 1000cc, bog standard vehicle and basically crap) , and equally nonexistent route, so we chose the one with least tarmac, most desert and maximum adventure. She was 19 years old and could scarcely manage her promised 29hp, but did survive deserts and mountains unaided, though pretty slowly at times!

Central Asia threw endless deserts at us,interesting in 50 degrees+ with an aircooled engine and classic corrugated roads that loosened every nut and bolt, joint and tooth in our heads! But 2CV simplicity meant if she got hot, just progressively remove more body panels. Also useful when the brake fluid boils and has to be cooled with a water spray every 500 yards!Disassembly of wings and bonnet to reveal tiny 602cc engine,is less than 5 minutes...which usually made locals smile!

Adventures were endless, breakdowns admitedly frequent,but without doubt the best way to get to know the locals who loved Buffy, thought we were totally crackers and never let us pay. We are planning our next trip and are definitely taking a 2CV as it is the best icebreaker in international relations when you share no word or letter in common but all seem to be grinning from the moment she appeared.

The scenery and people were incredible, and the Rally a great opportunity. We will happily pass on any advice tips or route details if of interest. We covered 8700 miles of which over 4000 had no surface at all, the 2CV's forte as she was designed to carry a box of eggs across a French ploughed field without breaking them!P1030863.jpg

Attachments

• P1020470.jpg
    P1020470.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 235

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
You could be a couple of the coolest people on the planet for piloting that little fella so far. I'm impressed and intrigued!! Roll on Buffy!!!!

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Who would have thought that a simple question of "What is this vehicle" would produce such a cool story.

I was tempted to post the picture because I thought "There is no way this thing is Adventure material" Yet you two prove to be some of the most adventurous travelers on here doing that route in the CV!!

:bowdown: :bowdown:​

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Thanks for bringing a smile to my face.

I have always had a soft spot for the 2CV (round headlights of course) and loved spotting the "Lelijke Eendjes" as a kid whenever I visited family in Holland. Of course having one relative in particular who only drove Citroens didn't help to quell my liking of the cars.

Awesome trip, great story!

2cv wayne

Ha ha! Other part of the team here, I'd have to say Buffy was hero too but Wayne did manage a fairly extraordinary range of on the spot tweaks and recoveries... washing up liquid is a great lubricant if your rear swinging arm gives up the ghost! We had to retrace 15 miles of non-road in the depths of Mongolia with back wheel at a very jaunty angle and the wheel arch resting directly on the tyre! Top nursing got Buffy back to Khovd where the garage found the whole experience pretty amusing. Typically we weren't allowed to pay and seemed to leave with armfuls of melons! At least the killer road didn't have the last laugh...

Attachments

• P1030792.jpg
    P1030792.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 256
  • P1030800.jpg
    P1030800.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 243
  • P1030657.jpg
    P1030657.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 219

2cv wayne

Sorry, girlie-half back, just one adventure..Of course when sand and ruts do win, your front wheel actually is no longer attached and you are somewhere random in the middle of the Gobi desert,creativity really gets stretched...The front kingpin had sheared and Buffy's days looked numbered only 600 miles from the finish.3 wheels on our wagon and we weren't rolling anywhere!
We thought if we could attract the attention of the rare dust clouds that hid distant passing vehicles, we could get a lift to the next town(60+ miles!) and have a new one made by the ingenious locals. But how would we find Buffy again? After all she was sand coloured(doh!).How could we pick her up to get her on a truck even if one did find us?It really did look hopeless. Then Wayne started rummaging in the simple selection of tools we had.With an aged socket set (18th birthday pressie gives a clue!) and junior hacksaw, he went to work..cutting down the extension bar from the set to make a new kingpin!Ok it was 2mm narrower but Buffy had 4 wobbly wheels again, and her heart big enough to get not only to the next town but to the finish on that same improvised pin!
I may be biased but I also think the pair of them are heros:arabia:

Attachments

• P1040026.jpg
    P1040026.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 267
  • P1030478.jpg
    P1030478.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 496
  • P1030762.jpg
    P1030762.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 111
  • P1030431.jpg
    P1030431.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 135

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
2cv wayne said:
Sorry, girlie-half back, just one adventure..Of course when sand and ruts do win, your front wheel actually is no longer attached and you are somewhere random in the middle of the Gobi desert,creativity really gets stretched...The front kingpin had sheared and Buffy's days looked numbered only 600 miles from the finish.3 wheels on our wagon and we weren't rolling anywhere!
We thought if we could attract the attention of the rare dust clouds that hid distant passing vehicles, we could get a lift to the next town(60+ miles!) and have a new one made by the ingenious locals. But how would we find Buffy again? After all she was sand coloured(doh!).How could we pick her up to get her on a truck even if one did find us?It really did look hopeless. Then Wayne started rummaging in the simple selection of tools we had.With an aged socket set (18th birthday pressie gives a clue!) and junior hacksaw, he went to work..cutting down the extension bar from the set to make a new kingpin!Ok it was 2mm narrower but Buffy had 4 wobbly wheels again, and her heart big enough to get not only to the next town but to the finish on that same improvised pin!
I may be biased but I also think the pair of them are heros:arabia:

Holy crap!

What an adventure and a half. Thank you three for giving me the opportunity to share in this beautiful misfortune/experience!

:clapsmile

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I adore those little cars and would love to have one one day. I remember seeing on the Dakar two years ago a little 2CV trodding along right past 4x4 that were stuck and the 2CV just ran by them without flinching. Great little machines, that looks like and incredible adventure ...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Anyone can do "more with more" but doing "more with less" is a great skill and an art. I admire those who have adapted innovative and skilled ways to go great distances like this, as opposed to just opening the checkbook and blasting money at the vehicles. :D

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Great tale! I have a soft spot for oddball iron and rig is about as oddball as it gets. Just way to cool!

DavidG

Adventurer
Haggis said:
Great tale! I have a soft spot for oddball iron and rig is about as oddball as it gets. Just way to cool!

x2

Great story! You can almost hear that little 2CV..."I think I can, I think I can"

Love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger