Smittybilt RTT on sale for $599

TraceF

4WD Hardware is having a sale on Smittybilt RTT today- $599 with free shipping. I have been eyeballing a Tepui Kukenam but it will be a while before I am able to afford. This seems like a killer deal but it is Smittybilt. Either tent would go on a custom rack I am building for my m416.

So should I go for it or continue saving up for a Tepui or comparable? Opinions either way would be great, thanks guys

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
You get what you pay for. I'd wait for two reasons. You'll waste the money and have to buy the tepui later, and smittybuilt just knocks off everyone's products and puts em out of business

siebermd

Adventurer
Cancelled the order. They were back ordered until mid January and I took it as a sign that I dont need this.

captwoody

Adventurer
I love mine, took some troubleshooting initially (de-burring support rod holes, sealing some of the sewing holes at peak) but has served me well for over a year with no new issues. And although noisy it took 30-40MPH desert winds well. This is an entry level budget tent if you want more I would buy a Tepui based on Scotts customer service and the quality of his product. to be honest if I did not have a couple hundred dollars in gift cards I would have spent the extra for a Tepui. Scott is the kind of stand up guy that still helped me and answered my questions on his forum knowing I bought another unit
IMG_20150111_170601570_HDR.jpg

F40

Adventurer
You get what you pay for. I'd wait for two reasons. You'll waste the money and have to buy the tepui later, and smittybuilt just knocks off everyone's products and puts em out of business
While true for some stuff, everyone and their mother make a nearly identical tent. I don't think another China made tent identical to other tents is going to put anyone out of business. People buying these are doing it strictly based on price. Which is how I ended up with mine. I still plan on getting a Tepui or CVT, but wanted to try a cheaper alternative to see if I liked it before spending double the money.

captwoody

Adventurer
My trailer cost me 350 to build/harbor freight 4'x'4' trailer,larger wheels ,hardware and plywood,2"x2"'s and paint and screws. check out Scotts Tventuring.com website Lots of inexpensive trailer builds on the forum and a wealth of info. took mine down diablo drop off and it did fine but that's about as tough a trail I would do with a lightweight build.

robertcrav

Was this sale documented anywhere? $599 is way under I've seen... 4wd/4wp have $845, Amazon direct from Smittybilt is $909

GFA

Adventurer
That was a 1 day sale,the 12 days of Christmas sale,I believe,something different every day..

Yup, I'd been wanting to try a RTT but the price tag for a trial run on another brand was the hold up for me. You never see second hand ones here on the east coast so when I saw the one day sale for $599 I placed my order. I got a call the next day to inform me of the late January to mid February backorder and was given the option to cancel if I wanted. I kept it on order and got another call on December 23 saying it was ready to be picked up at my local 4WP.

It was well packaged, went together without a hiccup and mounted to my Gobi with only a few curse words. First impression? It's definitely worth $599. But for the normal $900 I never even considered it although I knew about it, the whole smittybilt name brand thing just tells me it's not worth it at that price. We had over 2" of rain in the last three days so I'll find out tomorrow if the travel cover is watertight. Next week I'll leave it opened for another storm that's predicted to see if it's dry.

So far though, I'm happy with my purchase. I'll update later as I get some use out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman