Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Adding a hinge wont help. the best thing is maybe adding a cable and turn buckle. I have seen the rear door sag when people hang on it when the doors open, this can be noticed by the seal hanging up on the lip. Lifting on the door while its open straightens things out. If the door needs to be load bearing, it will need significant reinforcement if not a full replacement with thicker gauge steel but the two hinges should be good for quite a bit of weight.

FYI they sell the hinges for $33 each.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Folks, I could use a little help with regard to wheel selection for my Scout. I just finished building it today. I had some JK Safari wheels in my garage that I was planning on using. Unfortunately, the Scout’s hub diameter is larger than the bore diameter of my wheels. The backspacing is wrong, as well, as the tire rubs on the parking brake cables. I’ve seen several photos of the Scout with JK wheels - where did I go wrong?

I think I need a wheel with a 4.25” back spacing and 83 mm bore diameter. Or spacers...? Or, if Jeep wheels will work, what mode/year should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance. I haven’t found any info on Smittybilt’s site that indicates what wheel dimensions work.

Last edited:

RichardPT

Richard
You will need spacers. Two months ago when I talked to SB about it they claimed to be planning on selling their own spacers to fit this application.
I vaguely remember that the spacers have to be hub centric and min 2 inch thick
Good luck

OEM JK wheels have way too much backspacing, plus the hub bore is too small. a 1.5"-2" lug centric spacer with a hub bore of about 2.6" can be used to fit JK wheels. try to shoot for about 4.25-4.5" backspacing in order to clear the parking brake line.

Wynn

Wanderer
4c461e5f4605cad246f08cc74c5c2d05.jpg
0f4899551470ed8be5a5a5638dfb4eb9.jpg

Hot water heater concealed within a jerry can. Pump and tubing will reside in the ammo can. External hookup for shower nozzle, gas and water connects soon to come.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
^^^^i like it. I thought about doing that also but went different direction. So how do you get to the fittings underneath the heater? Does the heater tilt with the lid ?

blare

Hey guys I just ordered one of these and its going to be my first expedition trailer. My original plan was to just buy the whole kit with wheels/tires included but I got a better deal on a wheel-less kit. Problem is now I am going in a million different directions for wheels. Will be towing this either with a Chevy Traverse for on-road local trips or my LJ for offroading. The LJ has some 15x8 Pro Comp Alloy wheels (5x4.5) with 3.75" backspacing and Pro Comp Xtreme 2 31's.

1) Just buy what would have come with the kit- Pro Comp 97 series with 265/70/17 AT Tires.
2) Try to match the Jeep and buy adapters/spacers + same LJ wheel tire combo for the trailer. Only concern is would a 1" spacer +3.75" backspace of my current wheels = 2.75" backspace. Probably no rubbing, but they are going to stick out a bit. Any risk running this?

Last edited:

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Congrats on your trailer. My vote is? Number 2. Lj's are just cool!!! I'm not sure about your back spacing but I'm sure somebody on here will help ya

Last edited:

(none)

Adventurer
Stupid question, how much is the rear hitch on the trailer rated for, if it is rated?

Dream state, i'd love to attach a motorcycle carrier on the back for a ~300lb bike (CRF250L) and put another similar sized on the front tongue in place of the spare tire/tongue box. Crush my dreams and tell me it'd be a terrible idea...

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Stupid question, how much is the rear hitch on the trailer rated for, if it is rated?

Dream state, i'd love to attach a motorcycle carrier on the back for a ~300lb bike (CRF250L) and put another similar sized on the front tongue in place of the spare tire/tongue box. Crush my dreams and tell me it'd be a terrible idea...
The rear receiver has placard 200lbs max. You could prob beef it up. As far as front? That a lot of weight to put on tounge but depends on what you pull trailer with. It can be done but modifications will be nessary

Wynn

Wanderer
^^^^i like it. I thought about doing that also but went different direction. So how do you get to the fittings underneath the heater? Does the heater tilt with the lid ?

a0ce3517f66292066314202de929f1d7.jpg

The lid does tilts but I'll be securing it to the trailer. I'll cut the side of the ammo can and make a swing out door for access.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Blare, I've got my 3 tires without wheels I pulled off if you go with option 1.

I would go with a combo that matched your LJ bolt circle and tire height, just to have redundancy while off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan