Snorkel Wars

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Nowhere that I go or am likely to go has water deep enough to be a problem that wouldn't already be too dangerous to cross. No need in my case.

And.... they're still dorky looking!

Half the drivers I see are dorky looking but they are still behind the wheel.:D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

craig333

Expedition Leader
If I need one on my truck I'm turning around. The Jeep floats long before water reaches the air cleaner.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
//snip//The Jeep floats long before water reaches the air cleaner.

Not if you open the doors :)

I was stationed in Korea with the USAF and a couple of our sites required river crossings. I've driven the M151s with water flowing over the hood, but you have to flood them to get any traction.

Zorro

Adventurer
So this thread seems to have established that snorkels :
- may help with dust
- may be a last resort with water deeper than anticipated
- will make grumpy old men think you're a poseur

So what's the downside, exactly?
:snorkel:

craig333

Expedition Leader
I don't know about m151s but my on my Jeep the doors are not water tight. Not that it would matter, I never have the doors on when I'm doing water crossings. Actually I try and have the doors and top on as little as possible. Hmmm, its march, might be time for the top to come off.

Grumpy? Sometimes, certainly.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Nowhere that I go or am likely to go has water deep enough to be a problem that wouldn't already be too dangerous to cross. No need in my case.

And.... they're still dorky looking!

Already been stated back several pages. Pay attention.

stir, stir, stir......

:)

For those of you who have recently joined the portal or just opened this thread, the quoted posts are an occasional manifestation you will be come accustomed to if you frequent this site.

What you are witnessing above is described in this and other forums as "snorkel envy." Specifically, as is the case with this poor fellow ntsqd, the individual suffers from an underdeveloped or completely absent snorkel. They refute any rationale or advantage for those of us blessed with ample snorkels but they continue to stare down the hood of their vehicle imagining a snorkel attached to the flank of their truck and longing for adventure this life-saving device (also known as the "safety-snorkel" for we-in-the-know) can provide.

You can make this haunting image of an overlanding vehicle sans snorkel go away; it's a treatable malady with remedy's widely obtained through the internet and a few hand tools.

You can click onto the next subject or you can open your heart, and your wallet, to help this sad forum member.

For just a few cents a day you can make the tears and whining stop from ntsqd and others who are envious of others who have been blessed with great snorkels.

Save the Snorkel.

Operators are standing by...

idaxj97

Adventurer
Well said tangoblue well said my xj will be gaining a snorkel and im thinking when my wife gets her runner a snorkel will appear on it too. snorkels ******!!!!

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
I didn't want to look dorky so I took my snorkel off. Plus, after reading on here how they're unneccessary, I decided to ignore my experience with the wrecked MAF sensor in my old Land Rover Discovery, or the hydrolocked engine in my 110 that precipitated the purchase of my snorkel. Plus, now I have a cool exposed external air intake that's a lot lower than my snorkel intake would have been. I'm trying to give my Land Rover the sort of naked café racer look.

IMG_3890 (2).jpg

If anyone wants to buy my old Safari Snorkel for a 200tdi 110, let me know!

On a serious note, yes I removed my snorkel, but that's because I'm fitting an external cage and the Safari Snorkel won't really fit. I'll probably get one fabricated out of stainless steel that fits up against the cage.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Build the cage around the snorkel to protect it.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362757691437.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362757691437.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 44

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Build the cage around the snorkel to protect it.

Now there's a man who takes his snorkels, and his cages, seriously. I bought a pre-made flat pack cage from Whitbread Off-road, and it's easier to fab/replace a snorkel than modify the cage.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
For the Snorkel Naysayers. We went on a rescue late last year during the rainy season to recover a Jeep. There was puddles of water on the trail, he was done for the day and heading out, the trail was fairly flat so on the way out so he was rolling along at a decent clip (for offraod) and decided to splash thru one of the puddles that was maybe 6" deep. We have all done it and you see pics all the time of guys hammering thru deeper ones and you can just barely see the vehicle in the spray of water. Well, he hit the one in a thousand and the spray went up the air horn, thru the filter and ingested into the engine. He now has a new engine and said he was going to go with a Snorkel, prolly never happen to him again, but he said it was a small price for the safety and the benefits of the cleaner air were just added.

Same thing happened to me.

1107or-02+rage-at-the-river+water-crossing.jpg
1107or-03+rage-at-the-river+water-crossing-rear.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998