Snow Peak Addiction

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Can't imagine it would be too hard. There is a flange that runs along the front and back edge that is about 7/8" deep, since the unit is made to just drop in to an IGT frame. Might take some tinkering though, since the burner control knobs and the igniter buttons are on the front of the unit (shown better on the SP site). I can take some better pictures and measurements if you need them...

Never noticed until now that the SP site shows both the vapor and the liquid units, but only lists the -220 (vapor) model number...

Looks like the Baja is liquid, and the GS-220 is vapor (in the US anyway). Seems like having one of each would keep you covered in cold weather. It looks like you need different canisters for liquid or vapor. I'd better make sure that I can get liquid canisters in town before buying a Baja burner though.

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
HA! SWEET!

I made one of those but didn't have the dimensions nor did I angle the holes! Where did you find those?

The world of Pinterest actually. There are a bunch of references to DIY sites in Japan for this sort of stuff. I've been able to use Google Translate with fair success to help get the gist of builds and instructions. Some neat ideas out there.

KK6POV

Adventurer
Looks like the Baja is liquid, and the GS-220 is vapor (in the US anyway). Seems like having one of each would keep you covered in cold weather. It looks like you need different canisters for liquid or vapor. I'd better make sure that I can get liquid canisters in town before buying a Baja burner though.

I'm totally just talkin' out of my nether regions. but I think that when you turn a isobutane can upside down it is liquid (because gravity), and therefore it has a preheating tube running through the flame, like MSR stoves or the snowpeak torch. But when the can is upright, it is gas (because gravity) on top of the liquid. I might be totally wrong.

The baja burner works with the can attached to the bottom in the IGT or sitting on a table with the can off to the side.

Riptide

Explorer

I never knew that there were liquid canisters, and vapor canisters. I just use whatever isopro canisters my local shop has (usually MSR and JetBoil), and they've worked just fine with my Baja. Not sure why SP lists different canister models for different applications...

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I'm totally just talkin' out of my nether regions. but I think that when you turn a isobutane can upside down it is liquid (because gravity), and therefore it has a preheating tube running through the flame, like MSR stoves or the snowpeak torch. But when the can is upright, it is gas (because gravity) on top of the liquid. I might be totally wrong.

The baja burner works with the can attached to the bottom in the IGT or sitting on a table with the can off to the side.

Cool. I hope your nether regions are correct. It would be kinda silly to pack around different flavors of iso around.

KK6POV

Adventurer
Cool. I hope your nether regions are correct. It would be kinda silly to pack around different flavors of iso around.

If you turn a can (not lit) while discharging upside down the white is "liquid" coming out. when you turn it back around it is vapor... I think...

I have to be very cautious in my teaching as I am not positive and don't want to look like a **************

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Well, I did it. Read the entire thread. Took two evenings. Mon Dieu!

Still don't know what SP to buy next. Maybe it's time for some IGT stuff?

WestWorld

Just got an email from REI 25% off clearance. They have the 3 and 4 unit standing IGT setup for sale at 25% off plus the additional 25% off. It looks like you can also ship for free to your local REI store instead of having to pay an over sized shipping fee. The carry bags are also on clearance.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Just got an email from REI 25% off clearance. They have the 3 and 4 unit standing IGT setup for sale at 25% off plus the additional 25% off. It looks like you can also ship for free to your local REI store instead of having to pay an over sized shipping fee. The carry bags are also on clearance.

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered a 3 & 4 unit IGT with bags. It begins!

redsands

Just picked up my second piece of Snow Peak kit (already own the Tableware L-Family set), a Two Burner Stove (GS-220). I'm rather new to this forum, and can't seem to find a way to upload photos just yet.

Initial impressions are great. I pulled the trigger on this double burner stove as I'm looking to optimize my camping setup. We also own a full-size Camp Chef 3-burner stove, but have realized that it's (along with carrying a 20lb propane tank) a bit of overkill for weekend camping trips for a family of 4 (including 2 toddlers). So, thinking a two-burner stove will work best in terms of portability. Packing up for a family of 4 really adds up quick!

With that said, I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on the 3 unit IGT currently on clearance at REI. Am I going down a rabbit hole here? I've seen some pretty extensive (and impressive!) setups within this thread. Trying really hard to keep my setup as minimal as possible, but the IGT table seems like a great deal too good to pass on.

Thoughts?

(On a side note, anyone have any insight on the serial numbers on these stoves? Mine has 17.12 - ST007126. I'm guessing the "12.17" is a date code?)

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Backcountry has the GS-220 on sale for 30% off today, so I ordered one. The site doesn't actually state if it's the 220 or 230 though. We will see. Now I'm looking for the single BBQ box.

WestWorld

Just picked up my second piece of Snow Peak kit (already own the Tableware L-Family set), a Two Burner Stove (GS-220). I'm rather new to this forum, and can't seem to find a way to upload photos just yet.

Initial impressions are great. I pulled the trigger on this double burner stove as I'm looking to optimize my camping setup. We also own a full-size Camp Chef 3-burner stove, but have realized that it's (along with carrying a 20lb propane tank) a bit of overkill for weekend camping trips for a family of 4 (including 2 toddlers). So, thinking a two-burner stove will work best in terms of portability. Packing up for a family of 4 really adds up quick!

With that said, I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on the 3 unit IGT currently on clearance at REI. Am I going down a rabbit hole here? I've seen some pretty extensive (and impressive!) setups within this thread. Trying really hard to keep my setup as minimal as possible, but the IGT table seems like a great deal too good to pass on.

Thoughts?

(On a side note, anyone have any insight on the serial numbers on these stoves? Mine has 17.12 - ST007126. I'm guessing the "12.17" is a date code?)

I have the setup you are talking about, a 3 unit and the GS-220. The stove has some weight to it, so I like the added stability of it being in the IGT setup. I guess it depends on how minimal you want to go, and if you have the space.

You certainly can stop there and not jump down the rabbit hole; but you do have one more unit space to fill in...

Riptide

Explorer

The short answer is yes, you should buy an IGT frame. In fact, there are better two-burner stoves than the SP, but the thing about the IGT system is its modularity, and this is where owning the GS-220 makes sense. I have a lot (like, a lot) of IGT stuff, but I don't use it all every trip. I put together a kit that's matched for whatever we are doing that event. Tailgating or cooking for a fundraiser merits a lot more gear than just wanting a cook surface for the evening. Yeah, it's not cheap. But the modularity also means it gets used more often, for more reasons, which softens the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior