So I want to import a Defender...

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
I find this a little funny while juxtaposed with the 39 pages of comments on this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-raided-by-homeland-security-(North-Carolina).

I too used to scour the MOD sales sites thinking an import was for me. Then I started just shopping already-imported 110 ex-MOD pickups. And then I ended up with an '04 Disco. Sadly I think I'm not the only one that ends up becoming more realistic (and less naive and more cynical) as the research goes further.

That said...good luck!

Hey my .02 here.

Ok so I have been going through a bit of a headache with this situation. Bought a 110 last year and after having a few things replaced on it (i.e lights, seatbelts, roof, bulkhead, and the big one 200tdi) it finally arrived on the 22nd of Feb. It was detained an hour after being released when CBP relized it was a 110. On the 30th day it was siezed as Land Rover UK told them that it was not in %100 original condition. So after petitions I am now allowed to send it back to Enlgand but this was going to cost me a large amount as selling it there is as you said worth a lot less. This lead me to begin looking for a tacoma or JKU as some of you may have seen my other threads on those forums.

As of about 2 hours ago I was talking with one of the DOT agents who had a list of everything that was wrong. I was able to allow it to be exported. After a bit of small talk I asked if I could re-import it with the original engine a 2.5 tdiesel and view the other issues (Lights, seatbelts, roof) as safety features. This he has agreed to. This also does not go without warning that it will most likely be detained until they realize that it is back to original from, but fortunately the agent I have talked to will be the one handling the case.

SO I just want to say make certain you check the VIN. Ensure everything is %100 original, and be careful with repalcement parts. Some people I know have managed to get one through, but times are crazy at the ports over this specific model.

Goodluck to you!

Bishops13

Observer
Hey my .02 here.

Ok so I have been going through a bit of a headache with this situation. Bought a 110 last year and after having a few things replaced on it (i.e lights, seatbelts, roof, bulkhead, and the big one 200tdi) it finally arrived on the 22nd of Feb. It was detained an hour after being released when CBP relized it was a 110. On the 30th day it was siezed as Land Rover UK told them that it was not in %100 original condition. So after petitions I am now allowed to send it back to Enlgand but this was going to cost me a large amount as selling it there is as you said worth a lot less. This lead me to begin looking for a tacoma or JKU as some of you may have seen my other threads on those forums.

As of about 2 hours ago I was talking with one of the DOT agents who had a list of everything that was wrong. I was able to allow it to be exported. After a bit of small talk I asked if I could re-import it with the original engine a 2.5 tdiesel and view the other issues (Lights, seatbelts, roof) as safety features. This he has agreed to. This also does not go without warning that it will most likely be detained until they realize that it is back to original from, but fortunately the agent I have talked to will be the one handling the case.

SO I just want to say make certain you check the VIN. Ensure everything is %100 original, and be careful with repalcement parts. Some people I know have managed to get one through, but times are crazy at the ports over this specific model.

Goodluck to you!

What's the storage bill look like as it's been sitting over a month now?

spikemd

Explorer
Good luck. I have thought about this as well but as mentioned customs is clamping down hard.

I have heard that you will not be able to import any extra parts with the vehicle so the thought of shipping it loaded up with upgrades or a newer engine won't work.

That being said I know a guy in the NorCal LR club that just imported a 110 without too much difficulty but his is bone stock.

Its always tough to buy something 1000s of miles away let alone a 25 year old vehicle.

Have you driven a 110 or 90 yet? Yes they definitely have the cool factor but they are much smaller then you may think. Remember, it was basically designed 40 years ago when trucks and people were much smaller. At 6ft 2inches, I cannot fit very comfortably in one without modifications. Also, the truck was built as a work truck without any amenities. In the summer it will be hot and in the winter it will be cold. It rides rough. But yes, it is cool...

Last edited:

DividingCreek

Explorer
The Customs initiative is only on vehicles not eligible for entry. Legal vehicles have been clearing quite smoothly. I had a client pick up his truck @ Port Hueneme, Ca. on Friday and there were several "too nice" defenders sitting there. A port worker commented to him that those were being "sent back". That said, my clients truck cleared without issue.

The no parts in the truck rule has absolutely zero to do with Customs. If you ship a vehicle- any vehicle, via any shipping line, roll on- roll off ,the only items allowed in the vehicle are a spare and a jack.

If you ship your truck in a container you can have have it loaded to the roof with boxes/parts/personal effects.

reds12t

Observer
You could try reaching out to you local Defender restorer and parts supplier, they may have some insight for importing into Washington state. It is a shop called Defenders Northewest. I used to work with a freind of the owner, I think they handle some importation as well.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We would be in the UK shortly - perhaps I could buy one of these "sent back" and use it in Europe..

:)

DividingCreek

Explorer
Nope- same rules apply no matter how one enters. Once a truck is denied entry and is shipped back out the VIN is dead/black balled here. Unless of course entry was denied for something stupid like a 200 tdi in place of the original turbo diesel 19j engine , an upgrade Land Rover offered as a kit. In a case like that you can export the truck to a non-contiguous country, swap the engine and bring it back. IE if entry is denied because of an EPA /engine issue the truck can be returned to original configuration and imported, if its denied entry due to a DOT issue, drop back and punt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears