So show me your bedding!

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I've been using a Columbus RTT for over 12 years now. I have loved it's clamshell, easy open and close, design, rugged durability, and easy maintenance the entire time. We added a 1-1/2" thick memory foam topper to the mattress, cotton flannel sheets, and a thick goose down comforter and slept like royalty all over North America in it. Only a couple seconds to open it and crawl in. Bedding ready to go. A minute or two to close, and we are off on another day of adventure.

But, alas, She Who Must Be Obeyed has decided that now that we are in our mid-60's, we (meaning SWMBO) no longer wants to climb up and down the required 6+ feet when using that incredible RTT in the middle of the night anymore. After discussing (that's a nice word for it) alternatives, we picked up a neat little trailer with a huge fold-over RTT. The benefit of this setup is one can literally jump out of the tent without damaging aging limbs. But Carumba! It takes forever to open and close, and I cannot figure out how bedding can remain in there when not in use.

blue-trailer-w-black-wheels-rotated-2-Medium-600x400.jpg Our new rig looks like this, except in a more manly black color. :)

So, the question to all you experts is: How do you manage to get sheets, comforter, etc. in this thing, especially when opening and closing it? Or are we now doomed to using only sleeping bags or other uncivilized forms of nightly comfort?

p.s. I'm keeping the Columbus for now. If I can't get this figured out, the new tent will be unbolted and replaced my the old setup.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: We have the Tepui RTT mounted on our Tentrax trailer and -

I leave an 8" airmattress/"0" degree double sleeping bag/pillows inside all the time--no trouble/delays/setup time, because it all closes up neatly-

001_zps4e707e65.jpg

007_zps7705eb3b.jpg

The Tepui has an opened 5'x 8' footprint and there's about one 1' of vertical space inside, when closed up, so the sleeping bag is approx. 8" when doubled for closure and the air mattress is about 1' thick, when deflated-much room !

My disclaimer is I haven't had time/chance to camp withit yet--except in my garage-a dozen times up/down/in/out !

I've had the trailer/used it every year for over 7 years/w the airmattress/"0" degree sleeping bag every summer into the start of each winter, (Sept/Oct/Nov), so

I'm familiar with the comfort of the bag/mattress-

A lotta people don't like air mattress's, because of leaks/size/inflating-etc

Mine have been very good quality( no leaks, always warm), comfort and ease of packing/folding/closure of this Tepui makes setup/breakdown times very short and comfy-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I got mine from Sportsman Guide, years ago and I think it was about $200 bucks-

Thanks mucho Jimbo! Where did you get your double sleeping bag?

I just found this one on Amazon and it looks pretty good too! The reviews are very positive.

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Mammot...p/B000F38YHI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

That one from Amazon looks pretty good, especially with the extra zippers and a good price-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Only if you buy me a drink first :sombrero:

We use a flannel lined double sleeping bag as well. I think ours is a Slumberjack or Coleman. Either way, it really is just two normal rectangle sleeping bags zipped together. I looked into getting actual sheets and a comforter (what we use when ground camping) but we eventually decided it would be more trouble than it is worth in our Auntana.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I think you guys are on the right track here. I've just reinstalled the memory foam, sheets, and down comforter into the Columbus and hoisted it back up below the ceiling in the garage. It is now ready to install on my roofrack if/when friends or family go off-roading with us. I am going to order that Teton double bag this morning. I'll let everyone know what I think of it once we have put a few nights in it. NWOR in June, ? in July, WABDR with Torfab the end of August, and just maybe the IDBDR solo in Sept. Plus lots of weekenders with SWMBO searching for waterfalls. Should be a great summer.

grogie

Like to Camp
My Tepui Ayer RTT is only 48" wide, but getting older, I wanted more padding then just the pad that came with the tent.

I first bought a large soft blanket to wrap around the pad to help keep it clean.
I really had to search, but found basically an oversized sleeping bag that was about the same size as the pad, then put in an 1-1/2" gel top inside the bag.
Then I use two mummy sleeping bags for the wife and I, and it's super comfortable. I also have a couple of light weight blankets incase I want to sleep on top.

It's the best night's sleep I've ever had in a tent.

6fe006.jpg

Unfortunately I can't leave all this in the RTT and close it up. With the large bag and gel top, I fold it in half, roll it up and it goes inside my trailer.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Great combination there grogie! I will definitely be using some of your ideas. The biggest secret of a great overlanding trip is a good night's sleep every night you are out.

grogie

Like to Camp
Great combination there grogie! I will definitely be using some of your ideas. The biggest secret of a great overlanding trip is a good night's sleep every night you are out.

Oh for sure! When out in the peace and quiet of the great outdoors, the last thing I want is not to sleep well. I remember being a youth and just putting a sleeping bag down on the hard ground and being okay with that. Now I want comfort! (lol) Plus being an RTT, it's like being in a tree house (even just on top of my trailer).

Makes me want to go camping soon!

Lucky j

Explorer
I leave two dawn pillow, two wool blanket and a double down sleeping bag in my ARB pilbara tent, and the matress as a 1/2" evazote ground matress in the nylon sleeve on top of that. It al close really well.

Of course it as to be organized and folded, but it closes. What is funny, it is hard to close my girls friend autohome clamshell tent with the same stuff in it.

ColoDisco

Explorer
We found the factory mattress in our CVT mt Shasta was not nearly enough padding. First night we basically slept on the base of the tent and froze with normal bedding. Since we bought 2 self inflating 3.5" REI sleeping pads and 2 20 degree Coleman bags. Sleep really well now! We tend to camp in spring and Fall in utah and at altitude in Colorado in the summer, hence the reason for the warmer bags.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Thanks Lucky j, I will have to see if I can get away with folding my tent with the new Teton double sleeping bag I bought it in. It sure would save a lot of hassle not having to stuff that monster bag into its compression sack after every use.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Its really interesting to see how everyone is getting through the night. Using a 1-1/2" memory foam pad, flannel blankets, and a down comforter work great in my Columbus RTT, but the new tent is way to big, and with the center folding hinge I couldn't see how to permanently leave sheets, etc., in it. All your ideas are most welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online