So show me your bedding!

Trvlngnrs

Observer
:sombrero: We have the Tepui RTT mounted on our Tentrax trailer -

001_zps4e707e65.jpg

The Tepui has an opened 5'x 8' footprint and there's about one 1' of vertical space inside, when closed up, so the sleeping bag is approx. 8" when doubled for closure and the air mattress is about 1' thick, when deflated-much room !

My disclaimer is I haven't had time/chance to camp withit yet--except in my garage-a dozen times up/down/in/out !

I've had the trailer/used it every year for over 7 years/w the airmattress/"0" degree sleeping bag every summer into the start of each winter, (Sept/Oct/Nov)....

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Jimbo, did you have to do any reinforcement to the lid of the Tentrax? I'm considering a similar setup. I figure the lid will have to hold 400 pounds of humanity (my wife & I) and 130ish pounds of tent.

How stable is the Trailer with the RTT open? Does yours open to the side, or to the front/rear?

Did you have to add stabilizer jacks?

I appreciate any insight you can give me!!!
Trvlngnrs
St George, UT

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Oh yeah, the Tentrax lid is OK for 150lbs, so I removed the rack and installed the RTT bars across the lid ridges-

Jimbo, did you have to do any reinforcement to the lid of the Tentrax? I'm considering a similar setup. I figure the lid will have to hold 400 pounds of humanity (my wife & I) and 130ish pounds of tent.

How stable is the Trailer with the RTT open? Does yours open to the side, or to the front/rear?

Did you have to add stabilizer jacks?

I appreciate any insight you can give me!!!
Trvlngnrs
St George, UT

The Tentrax lid is 4'x5' and the TEPUI Kukenam is 4'x5', so that mounting it with the "hinge either in front/back is the only logical/balanced way-

Mine opens in front/w hinge in front, because I carry a big spare tire and the RTT wouldn't open in back-

Tepuiladderup-down003_zps478790cc.jpg

002_zps0456ca49.jpg

Because of the additional weight that she would have to carry, I put two longitudinal planks, of 5/8" marine plywood on top of each compartment wall and mine are
5-1/2" tall x 3' long, so that the lid(when closed) sits on those two and the rim/hinges/lockbar-should support more than 600 lbs(static) !

It works fine for me, but each trailer will have different inside height parameters-

I installed another 50lb gas strut, so the lid is easily liftable/w the RTT installed-

I don't think Mr. Dillon (Tentrax) would be happy with my mods--this great trailer isn't designed for the RTT-

I've had/used this trailer for over 7 years/w 100% success-just added the RTT a couple months ago-

I'll get some more pics next week after "M" day--watch the Tepui-RTT section of this forum, I've been in Vegas/SoCal for quite a while, so I only have a few pics-pertaining to the Tentrax/RTT-

007_zps7705eb3b.jpg

It's not an easy job, laying out the attachment holes (eight) and planning them for measurement/alignment/balance is difficult, but can be done with care and you'll
Need a hoist to be able to install the RTT SLOW/EASILY/PROPERLY-

It's doable, but difficult and you should be inside--I keep all my stuff in my garage and I have a hoist, so that was easy-

I didn't take pics, because I figured nobody would care about my Tentrax job---Tentrax owners are few and far between-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Trvlngnrs

Observer
Thanks for the insight JIMBO!

I agree, it can be difficult finding people who have done mods to the trailer. My neighbor has a 2012 Tentrax with 33" tires for sale for $2,250, but it doesn't have the tent.

I'm almost ready to buy it, I just need to get the tent issue figured out. The factory tent, although I admit to never seeing one, doesn't look very weather proof as there isn't any rainfly and the doors are angled upwards. Plus I'd rather have side windows for the desert heat. The tent I'm considering is the Kukenam... still debating on the skyview.....

I appreciate your advice, I'll keep my eye on the forum for your posts!

Blessings!
Trvlngnrs

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Thanx Trv--that looks like a great price/deal-

Thanks for the insight JIMBO!

I agree, it can be difficult finding people who have done mods to the trailer. My neighbor has a 2012 Tentrax with 33" tires for sale for $2,250, but it doesn't have the tent.

I'm almost ready to buy it, I just need to get the tent issue figured out. The factory tent, although I admit to never seeing one, doesn't look very weather proof as there isn't any rainfly and the doors are angled upwards. Plus I'd rather have side windows for the desert heat. The tent I'm considering is the Kukenam... still debating on the skyview.....

I appreciate your advice, I'll keep my eye on the forum for your posts!

Blessings!
Trvlngnrs

View attachment 286016

View attachment 286018

These Tentrax are strong/well hung:))) and will go anywhere your 4x4 will go, mine has for a long time-

I had mine built in '07 and Mr. Dillon (Eugene,. Ore) sent me videos each week during construction for my additions/subtractions and options--cost in 2007 was $8000 bucks, but it's been area pleasure all this time-

Just remember, you can't really alter the form/shape/structure of the main tub it's a cast unit of treated plywood poly gel and strong as a unit-

DSCF0831_zps8b0e9e4d.jpg

DSCF0832_zpsbd3db1e8.jpg

DSCF0886_zpscf84e1d8.jpg

Good luck

:):wings: JIMBO

Trvlngnrs

Observer
.... Mr. Dillon (Eugene,. Ore) sent me videos each week during construction for my additions/subtractions and options..... JIMBO

That's awesome customer service!

If you initially had the factory tent, what are your thoughts on it?

Eventually I'd like to add a battery, inverter, maybe a small solar panel, although I have a small Honda generator bring, some LED lights for camp....

I'm 120 miles East of Las Vegas. PM me if you ever need a place to overnight in your travels!! I'm sure you've explored UT already it not you really need to check it out!

Trvlngnrs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior