So, why a Gelandewagen?

Viggen

Just here...
So, out of everything that is easily had in the US, from LR Discos to Toyota 4Runners and Cruisers, why the G? Im asking because I am looking for a good midsize vehicle that can serve as my only vehicle and double as a good long distance camping vehicle, with a diesel (if not already installed, then easily done) preferably. They arent as easily had, arent as easily modified without an aftermarket near the size of a Defender or Cruiser but I would put one on the top of my list of things to look for.

What makes them so great? Im asking as I really really want one in the form of an original, not soccer mom current version, from the mid to late 80s. Im not trying to incite a riot of "my _____ is better than any G" but curious as I am really interested in finding one to buy in the next few months.

stevegsmith

Observer
Well...the reason I bought one was because I was looking for something diesel and a little more modern to replace my 1976 Toyota LC FJ55. I wish I had the capacity at the time to keep the old pig but it's gone.
The LC was a great truck and very capable but in need of lots of money for rust repair, very tinny, and as a daily driver, the leaf spring suspension wasn't much fun (especially for my wife....and all the bouncing...which I didn't really mind....as long as the rear view mirror was angled properly).
Other than my interest in diesels and running biofuels, I wanted something not-so-common and similar to the LC. After noticing the MBUSA G500's popping up, I started looking around online and learned that older more mechanical G wagens were available in diesel form. Very quickly, I found my truck (white with black interior just like my old LC) at a gray market dealer near my home. I went down there, test drove it, and bought it. It was only after I bought it did I realize the incredible off-road prowess of the vehicle and it's long history. The fact that it was a 4x4 was enough. Although the suspension had less articulation than my old LC, it was a softer more forgiving ride with the coil springs AND it had lockers.
I have not looked back since.
Yes, more common vehicles are more practical/logical and in most cases, less expensive to maintain. But, that's never been my MO.
My G is obviously more to me than just a tool to explore. I'm in it everyday and I love talking about it with strangers....not to mention the incredible community that came with it.
There's more I guess but that covers the gist.
Steve

Scott Brady

Founder
I see the G-Wagen as having the uniqueness/funk factor of the Defender, but with 9/10ths Toyota Land Cruiser reliability.

They are a joy to drive and are quite competent in stock form. In fact, I have not found a single reason to upgrade or change anything on the truck. I might add slightly larger tires and rock sliders.

lexwoody

Adventurer
I been I fan of the G-Wagon or Wagen since forever. But when I was in a position to buy a good used $30-$40k used daily and weekend trail/Expo rig. There wasn't any in Vegas for sale. So I went with a Range Rover (in the shop more than on/offroad), and got a Lexus GX 470. I love my GX, but still sometimes wish that I would had looked harder for a G500. One thing that scares me about the G500 is high maintly cost and lack of parts with/out ordering off line.

Please tell me how costly are the G500 and if there are aftermaket gear (suspension lift, bumpers, winche mounts, skids, etc) out there for the G500?

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
They require very little modification for serious exploration. They have most of the goodies from the factory.

All of the other stuff is available.

Buying, owning, repairing and upgrading a G is an expensive hobby though.

daniel ruops

Adventurer
summary of our 4 year experience with a diesel g-wagon

As is true with most decisions, buying a G-wagon provides both benefits and liabilities. At a minimum you may be pleased with the g-wagon's uniqueness, off-road capabilities and its "on the highway" comfort.

In addition, your social life will be greatly enhanced because you will need to establish a more intimate relationship with the service manager of a repair facility then the one that you currently have with your wife, children, friends, pets and co-workers.

If you are mechanically inclined the g-wagon will provide you with many opportunities to maintain your diagnostic and mechanical skills and abilities.

You will need anti-anxiety medication in order to cope with the worries about breaking down in remote locations.

Most likely, you will be inclined to join more overland groups thus having the necessary assistance and tow options for the return home.

Scott Brady

Founder
Sorry that your experience with the G was less than pleasing. In the 1.5 years we have owned ours, it has been nearly problem-free.

I would be curious what other owners experiences have been.

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
As is true with most decisions, buying a G-wagon provides both benefits and liabilities. At a minimum you may be pleased with the g-wagon's uniqueness, off-road capabilities and its "on the highway" comfort.

In addition, your social life will be greatly enhanced because you will need to establish a more intimate relationship with the service manager of a repair facility then the one that you currently have with your wife, children, friends, pets and co-workers.

If you are mechanically inclined the g-wagon will provide you with many opportunities to maintain your diagnostic and mechanical skills and abilities.

You will need anti-anxiety medication in order to cope with the worries about breaking down in remote locations.

Most likely, you will be inclined to join more overland groups thus having the necessary assistance and tow options for the return home.

This sounds a lot like rover ownership

I have a soft spot in my heart for a diesel Galendawagen someday...

haven

Expedition Leader
The 1980s and 1990s Geländewagens have several desirable characteristics for overlanding.

-- big enough for passengers and gear inside
-- small enough (even the LWB 4 door) to be maneuverable
-- GVWR high enough for lots of gear (but maybe should be improved)
-- diesel engine has torque to tow a trailer, decent fuel economy
-- no electronics to worry about
-- stock suspension works well off-road (front and rear lockers, for example)
-- body design keeps bits from dragging off-road
-- very good availability of parts and service in most parts of the world
-- G-Wagen basic design has been used for 30 years, increasing the chance you'll find mechanics
who have seen the vehicle before
-- proven service with military and NGO groups in many countries

1980s and '90s Geländewagens were legally imported to USA by third parties.
So it's possible to find used examples in USA.

uzj100

Adventurer
Always wanted a G however I just can not get past any reliability issues. I will add front and rear lockers to my 2000 uzj100 and just keep on trucking. Maybe one day, I will find a convertible G as a second 4x4.

Bhos

Adventurer
I'm looking at the soccer mom Gs :sombrero: and there is a lot to like. One issue could be internal space. They are narrow, but tall. A criteria to add to the checklist could be storage space.

zimm

Expedition Leader
me?

its just next on the list of trucks ive wanted to own since HS.

the 7x troopies are still commanding a premium and the price on theses is dropping, so im searching for one of these. hopefully a 460. articulation has me concerned, but ill find out if its a real issue if i start bouncing off of trees on tight eastern trails. i think it may need a couple inches of lift too.

NOTE:

id say the gwagon is like the toyota in panache, but falls far short of the 110nas. i wont be able to top that one. it woulda been the last one i owned, but a smokin' deal fell on my lap.

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
So, what are the reliability issues? Dream would be an 80's with the OM diesel in it. Just curious. I rank it up there with Rovers (scary reliability but that magnetism) and the Land Cruiser (very reliable but no real diesel option) as dream vehicles.

God, where do I start. In the last 20 years, I've owned the following:

1982 Toyota SR5 pickup on 33's
1972 Land Rover Series III 88' HT
1966 Land Rover Series IIA 109 SW
1964 Land Rover Series IIA 88" SW
1952 Land Rover Series 1 80" HT
1958 Land Rover Series 1 107" SW
1989 RR Classic
1988 RR Classic
1992 RR Classic on 37's
1998 P38A RR
1989 Ford 150 pickup
1999 Ford F350 7.3l PS TD on 35's
1997 Jeep Cherokee exocage on 38's
2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon on 35's
1980 Mercedes-Benz 300 GDt on 32's

Also about 20 years ago, I saw a beautiful woman sitting way across the dining commons at college and said to myself, that's the woman I'm going to marry. We just celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary in January. I've been with the same lovely woman for so long, I wouldn't even know how to date in today's world.

Not so with my wheeling/expo rigs. I've played the field, creeping for love in all the wrong places. I spent years going from truck to truck through a cycle of infatuation, followed by complacency, followed by boredom, followed by "well now, there's something that makes more sense."

That's until I saw the Gwagon on ebay and felt the same way I did 20 years ago in the dining commons. There's not been a day since that I've not been so glad that, once more, I threw caution to the wind and about-faced on a vehicle. These trucks are so well-built, unique and just plain cool to own and drive. I felt such a personal bond with this vehicle that I didn't hesitate to fly across country and drive it all the way home, and that's without ever having driven a Gwagon of any sort before, much less an antique one. I just knew it would get me home no matter what.

And while I'm waiting for it to act up like any of my rovers (or, worse yet, the F350), it hasn't happened yet, but when it does, I'm going to nurse it back to health with every ounce of my being.

The moral of the story is buy with your heart, not with your head. If you love your rig, it doesn't matter if it has faults, you'll gladly deal with it. But if you don't, it can be as perfect as a brand new Rubicon and, before long, your eyes'll be wandering.

Last edited:

Bhos

Adventurer
The moral of the story is buy with your heart, not with your head. If you love your rig, it doesn't matter if it has faults, you'll gladly deal with it. But if you don't, it can be as perfect as a brand new Rubicon and, before long, your eyes'll be wandering.

Well, there you have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior