So, why a Gelandewagen?

Scott Brady

Founder
As an interesting note, I just needed to replace an ignition coil pack on the 3.6. Each ignition coil pack fires two cylinders (there are three packs total). The truck still ran, but like a 4cyl and rough.

The swap was easy and back on the road. I am going to keep a spare around now just in case

zimm

Expedition Leader
As an interesting note, I just needed to replace an ignition coil pack on the 3.6. Each ignition coil pack fires two cylinders (there are three packs total). The truck still ran, but like a 4cyl and rough.

The swap was easy and back on the road. I am going to keep a spare around now just in case

what year is that?

stevegsmith

Observer
God, where do I start. ........

....The moral of the story is buy with your heart, not with your head. If you love your rig, it doesn't matter if it has faults, you'll gladly deal with it. But if you don't, it can be as perfect as a brand new Rubicon and, before long, your eyes'll be wandering.

Yeah, what Peter said.
We're similar in many ways except my list of past vehicles is a lot shorter.:)

Well said man.

Viggen

Just here...
I think that is the way its going to be. Ive been looking around and thinking about what kind of vehicle I would want. I was dead set on a short wheelbase and then as I started to think more and more about it, a 4 door with good room behind the seats became a must. Then the researching began anew and Ive settled on three vehicles: The G, a 109/110 SW and, believe it or not, a first gen Trooper.

are you "VIGGEN" because you like Saab Scania vehicles?

...curiously
Yup, my first dream car was a 9-3 Viggen. I love Saabs. The first car I was specifically not allowed to drive was my moms Euro spec 88 Saab 900S. She bought it new while we lived in Germany and then brought it back with us when my dad was stationed back here in the States. Se eventually let me drive it, once, but it was years after I had my drivers license. I still long for a nice Saab but their current state scares me away. Before I bought my shortlived allroad, I tested out a super nice, low mileage 9-5 Aero Sportcombi in manual but elected against it as its "reliability" reputation scared me away. Obviously I was misguided as I bought an allroad but thats a story for the "Audi allroad" thread in a different section.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I think that is the way its going to be. Ive been looking around and thinking about what kind of vehicle I would want. I was dead set on a short wheelbase and then as I started to think more and more about it, a 4 door with good room behind the seats became a must. Then the researching began anew and Ive settled on three vehicles: The G, a 109/110 SW and, believe it or not, a first gen Trooper.

Yup, my first dream car was a 9-3 Viggen. I love Saabs. The first car I was specifically not allowed to drive was my moms Euro spec 88 Saab 900S. She bought it new while we lived in Germany and then brought it back with us when my dad was stationed back here in the States. Se eventually let me drive it, once, but it was years after I had my drivers license. I still long for a nice Saab but their current state scares me away. Before I bought my shortlived allroad, I tested out a super nice, low mileage 9-5 Aero Sportcombi in manual but elected against it as its "reliability" reputation scared me away. Obviously I was misguided as I bought an allroad but thats a story for the "Audi allroad" thread in a different section.

a first gen trooper, in all honesty, is probably the best bet. thats a good truck. reliable. and at this point in their lives, disposable if you have an oooopps moment.

Love to find a "G" but where?

I've owned several Toyotas and Land Rovers and have had very good experiences with both of them. As a matter of fact, My classic Range Rovers ('91 and '95) never left me stranded while on the other hand, my 60 and 80 series Land Cruisers did.
That being said, where do you guys find these Diesel "G" wagens? Is this an eBay only opportunity?

Scott Brady

Founder
They are super rare. I waited years to find the right G (at the price I wanted to spend), and have a one-owner truck that was impeccably maintained. I would love to have a diesel model, but the Brabus is a fine motor and recently added to the truck. It is a good combo overall.

Maybe I just need to buy one of the Unicat 461 models and be done with it!
g280%20explorer3.jpg

stevegsmith

Observer
I've owned several Toyotas and Land Rovers and have had very good experiences with both of them. As a matter of fact, My classic Range Rovers ('91 and '95) never left me stranded while on the other hand, my 60 and 80 series Land Cruisers did.
That being said, where do you guys find these Diesel "G" wagens? Is this an eBay only opportunity?

Sorta depends on the year you're looking for. Easier to find a diesel 460 than a diesel 463. It's rumored there are maybe five 463 300GD's in the US.
Just a matter of time, money, and patience. They do pop up on eBay once in a while but the best way to go about it is to call folks like Mike Serpe of GwagenPreserve and get active on the most populated G forums like PointedThree and Clubgwagen (which also has a classifieds section). Could also try Russ at Europa in Sante Fe. He was the first MB US distributer of Gwagens during the 90's until MBUSA got the distribution from him in early 2000ish.
Ultimately, the quickest option is to find a 460 gasser in great shape and drop in a 617A (turbo diesel).
Good luck.

zimm

Expedition Leader
90% sure my deal is done.

the price was perfect for a rig thats gonna see back road/path travel, no brush burn regrets. no apparent rust, and no bodywork.

i'll post pics and pricing this week if all goes well and the deal is completed. i found getting "comps" to come up with a going rate difficult, and that may help others.

good deal? bad deal? you'll get to decide!

zimm

Expedition Leader
They are super rare. I waited years to find the right G (at the price I wanted to spend), and have a one-owner truck that was impeccably maintained. I would love to have a diesel model, but the Brabus is a fine motor and recently added to the truck. It is a good combo overall.

Maybe I just need to buy one of the Unicat 461 models and be done with it!
g280%20explorer3.jpg

sell the rest of the rigs and you'll still be short!

tj4tj4

First 4x4 owned, researched the hell out of the market. Love idea of Landcruiser for their near-perfect reliability, but my G hasn't left my by the road (or off the road) in almost 2 years of ownership.

Accessories are available, but not as easy to find as flipping through Offroad magazine. The community offers customized rear bumpers, customized ladder, stock roof-rack, stock cattle-bars or modified ARB (Landcruiser 75/78/79 if you can find it) front bumper, and of course winches and roof-top tents are stock as well. Oh, and I haven't seen anybody else but Hummer owners sporting Hutchinson beadlockers, and they really make the military look, if that's what you're after.

Have always loved the boxy look of the Defender 110 NAS, but afraid of the service issues. So, G isn't perfect vehicle, but I think it falls somewhere between the 110 and the Landcruiser, so I'm happy as a clam in mine.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
As is true with most decisions, buying a G-wagon provides both benefits and liabilities. At a minimum you may be pleased with the g-wagon's uniqueness, off-road capabilities and its "on the highway" comfort.

In addition, your social life will be greatly enhanced because you will need to establish a more intimate relationship with the service manager of a repair facility then the one that you currently have with your wife, children, friends, pets and co-workers.

If you are mechanically inclined the g-wagon will provide you with many opportunities to maintain your diagnostic and mechanical skills and abilities.

You will need anti-anxiety medication in order to cope with the worries about breaking down in remote locations.

Most likely, you will be inclined to join more overland groups thus having the necessary assistance and tow options for the return home.

What year was your 300GD?
The 617's are pretty darn simple really.
Even if you broke down, the truck would drag itself home like a wounded soldier.
G's are SUCH fantastically built rigs. Military grade for the public.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Brett and Viggen,

Feel free to PM me if you're looking for a very very solid "OG" DieselG.
Steve and Mike can vouch for my '80 300GD (W460) LWB 4spd manual, which needs to find a loving home to make way for a newer W463 G500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior