So, you think you can text....

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Very cool!
I used to do rudimentary Morse code in Boy Scouts. Always seemed so mysterious back then...

safari.gif

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
wow...
I remember my step dad who was a ham always talking about how cw could get through on such weak signals that it would always be useful.
Of course I am glad I was able to take a no-code tech exam but it would still be nice to know "just in case". Then again my understanding is that even the military isn't using it as much anymore.
Great video and thanks for the post.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
One of the great things about Morse is it's a weighted code. Unlike ASCII which uses the same number of digits for every symbol Morse uses fewer digits for the more commonly used letters
EX:
Hello World

Morse:
.... . .-.. .-.. --- .-- --- .-. .-.. -..

Ascii(binary):
01101000011001010110110001101100011011110010000001110111011011110111001001101100

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I remember that video.

I used to be able to send CW at 20 wpm and receive at 13 wpm. Now I'm a bit rusty.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
rusty_tlc said:
One of the great things about Morse is it's a weighted code.

Yes a variable length word, which is why it is SO hard for me to comprehend. There's more to Morse than that though, it actually has distinct patterns when in combination with letters that make it rythmic to the mind (not mine though).

PhulesAU

Explorer
Glad Ya'll liked it. The kid with the phone looked like he was having trouble reading, much less spelling the words.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Thanks for this, what an entertaining video. :victory: I hope when I am an old ham I do not wear suits like that. :coffeedrink:

PhulesAU

Explorer
Ursidae69 said:
Thanks for this, what an entertaining video. :victory: I hope when I am an old ham I do not wear suits like that. :coffeedrink:
I am fully NOT qualified to judge others on their fashion sense. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

frgtwn

Adventurer
A client's 13 year old daughter told me that she can text one handed with her phone hidden, like in a pocket. On hearing this, other young friends say that they can do this as well.

My lifetime texting likely amounts to less than 100 words. And code? That was for my Novice license, in 1965. No contests for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan