SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
Any advice on the standard deep cycle vs the AGM Group 31?

This was quoted from the 12v DC thread:

AGM is only worth it if you need to install the batteries in the living area or need a battery that will get no service, or fly in unusual attitudes.

I have other things in my battery box, am not good at the service for LA batteries, go from hot to cold temps often in one day and had extra money so I went with the AGM. Group 27 105ah five years old so I'm happy.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I learned a couple things today from a phone conversation.
They no longer offer the rear swing out with the spare holder, sink, cutting board and other options.
For the 510 XS, you do not need the extended tongue option in order for the expanded metal cage with locking lid and the front tongue box. You can get it extended if you want.

Redman333

Adventurer
You guys that already have these trailers. Do you wheel fairly heavy with them or just dirt roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I'm going from a Jumping Jack Tent trailer to a Teardrop and would have to say that we have done some fairly rugged off roads, though we won't be doing that as much with the Teardrop. Cathedral Valley in Utah is a pretty rugged trail as is Mojave road. We have gone 60 miles off road doing a survey in soon to be part of Mojave NM. The point is, I've mostly driven on what were once dirt roads that aren't kept up very well.
We are now planning to hide our teardrop in some location, do the drive and come back to it. We always worry about it getting stolen. The way I have it setup now, they would have to cut chains, find a hitch, cut the locking hitch pins and disable our alarm that sends to our iPhone.

MtnToSea

Observer
I'm all for the pelican case versions of mounting the eccotemp, but what cabinet is that? Purpose built and very nicely done.

Yes, the box was build by SoCal Tear Drops at their shop, specifically for the heater. They do all their fabrication in house. Their work is amazing, true artists as far as I'm concerned.

Luckytibbs

LuckyTibbs
You guys that already have these trailers. Do you wheel fairly heavy with them or just dirt roads.

I pull mine behind my Rubicon Unlimited. It goes wherever I point my jeep, and that has been some trails I have found myself on that were heavy rock fields and washed out roads with wide ruts and crevices. It just had to go where I was going, there was no choice and it performed like a champ. If I'm spending time in an area then I just unhook and use it as a base camp. But you can't always know what the trail or road holds and when you are traveling you just find yourself in some areas that you have to get through and you won't have to worry about this trailer. It will follow.

Debbie

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516

Truck and trailer are on 33's. Honestly the main limits I've found are the approach/departure angles and the trailer length. I don't worry about frame clearance, durability, etc. If my truck will go over it, the hitch will clear, and width/length isn't a show stopper I have no concern the trailer will follow. I don't usually take many pictures (too busy driving) but here are a few, nothing extreme but more than your average dirt road. While opinions of trail difficulty vary the trailer's limitations are probably above what most will tackle. Is it an AT Chaser on 37's? Not even close. Would I take it on Black Bear Pass? Ain't gonna make those corners, folks. Is it a rock crawling monster that'll conquer the "optional" routes on Hell's Revenge? No, but if you wanted that you wouldn't be buying a teardrop. Leave it at base camp and give it hell. Between the comfort and mobility I think most people who enjoy getting where others can't will be quite happy with their SCT.

It's a fair amount of weight behind you so it can make seemingly normal obstacles more...time consuming. Without the trailer I would have made it up this hill. With it? Plan B.

The hitch limited my ability to clear this rock, tore the brake release pin thing out.

DSC_0017 (2016-06-12T21_37_26.687).JPG

DSC_0018 (2016-06-12T21_37_37.155).JPG

DSC_0012 (2016-06-12T21_36_31.916).JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

The Max Coupler is nice to have.

20161002_104630.jpg

DSC_0014 (2016-06-12T21_36_52.875).JPG

DSC_0031 (2016-06-12T21_39_55.468).JPG

Dusty Weathers

I pull mine with a 200 series land cruiser with a two inch lift; anywhere the land cruiser will go the trailer will go. Only problem I've had is situations where you have to back up to make a switch back.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I pull mine with a 200 series land cruiser with a two inch lift; anywhere the land cruiser will go the trailer will go. Only problem I've had is situations where you have to back up to make a switch back.

Which trailer do you have? Now, I'm almost worried about getting up or down the Burr trail/road. It is 28" longer than my JJ.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible

Which trailer do you have? Now, I'm almost worried about getting up or down the Burr trail/road. It is 28" longer than my JJ.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
@Keith Starr Thanks for that shot of the underside of the trailer. I've been wondering about the water connection and wiring. What did you end up with for a brake controller?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78