SoCal Tear Drop Owners! Post up!

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I ordered my axle with the brake plates so I can put on lever controlled parking brakes. The plates cost the same as the ones without and once done, I will be able to lock either or both sides. If I have to make a tight turn with the trailer off the truck or if the trailer is on an incline, this will come in very handy like and extra set of chocks.

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516
I ordered my axle with the brake plates so I can put on lever controlled parking brakes. The plates cost the same as the ones without and once done, I will be able to lock either or both sides. If I have to make a tight turn with the trailer off the truck or if the trailer is on an incline, this will come in very handy like and extra set of chocks.

I didn't know that was an option. I've often wished I had independent manual parking brakes. Any ideas how to add this after the fact?

JJMAC

Adventurer
Can someone please enlighten me on the hot water heater and propane tank? I notice in a lot of the pics people have the tank mounted on the left side of the trailer. I assume this is for BOTH the stove AND the hot water heater mounted on the other side (right side) of trailer? If not, do you need to have ANOTHER propane source/tank on the other side near the hot water heater?

Also, does the hot water heater interfere with the sink? It looks as though the hot water heater door when open (vent when using?) will interfere with the sink?

Lastly, is there a way to connect the facet to the sink so as to have two hands free use of sink?

MtnToSea

Observer
Can someone please enlighten me on the hot water heater and propane tank? I notice in a lot of the pics people have the tank mounted on the left side of the trailer. I assume this is for BOTH the stove AND the hot water heater mounted on the other side (right side) of trailer? If not, do you need to have ANOTHER propane source/tank on the other side near the hot water heater?

Also, does the hot water heater interfere with the sink? It looks as though the hot water heater door when open (vent when using?) will interfere with the sink?

Lastly, is there a way to connect the facet to the sink so as to have two hands free use of sink?

I use the tank on the left for the stove, furnace, and a BBQ. I have a small separate propane tank I carry that when I want hot water I set it on the fender to provide propane for the water heater.
When the water heater door is open, it is above the sink, so it doesn't interfere with the sink. In fact with the door open above the sink, I use the lip on the door to place my soap and sponge.
I've never thought about attaching the facet to the sink, but I'm sure with some thought there should be a way to build an attachment that could clip to the side of the sink.

Keith Starr

Inmate #2558516

For a while I used a long propane hose but moving the hose between appliances got annoying so now I carry a second small tank. I bolted this mount inside the front cage to secure the tank. It's a single strap with a quick release so no tools required to remove the tank unlike the one on the side of the trailer. I use it for the water heater and a QuikFire. Can't comment on the sink as I don't have one.

RoverGS

Finally, after a short 6 week wait, I took delivery of my own 510XS. More pictures to follow. Very impressed how well it tows. Of course I guess I'll see how it tows fully laden with water and supplies. Andy at Great Lakes Teardrops did an outstanding job. Very happy.

IMG_0608.jpg

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
Like the matching wheels and rims! Did you go for the Line-x on the lower half? How much weight are you planning for supplies?

RoverGS

Good morning. I wish I could take credit for the rim idea. I have to thank Chirs Cordes for the pioneering that choice. The black siding is an option from the list. I wanted to Line-X, but the tape option seemed like a better idea in that if I didn't like it, I could remove it easily. Weight wise, I got the water tank option so that will at 240 lbs there. Fridge empty will be 50. So the weight will add up fast. I'm anxious to outfit it up and take it out. There's a few more things I'd like to do with it, add a tongue box, add another propane tank and add the awning next.

RoverGS

Yes it does! Saw the frame being welded up the other day. Sounds like you've got a great build underway. You will be pleased!

JJMAC

Adventurer
Trying to decide between the Krawler (Leaf Spring Axle) and the Kascade (Torsion Axle). That appears to be the only difference between the two models besides the width. I am leaning toward the 5' width of the Kascade to accommodate a queen sized sleeping area.

Anyone have any pluses or minuses between the two models or suspension? We are looking for offroad mostly, but only offroad trails that a stock 4x4 would go on. Not super technical stuff.

Lastly, I really like the locking cage option on the tongue, but would prefer waterproof/lockable storage. Was thinking of trying to fit something like this for waterproof/dust proof storage behind a tongue box.:

r7n708.jpg

Can anyone please give me the measurement of space between their tongue box and the shell of camper? How tall is the SOCAL Tonge box?

Any suggestions?

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I have the leafs with adjustable shocks.

I could measure for you but unfortunately my trailer isn't at home right now.

I think the only problem you'd have with running that box is that it doesn't flow with the trailer and would stick out on the sides(depending on your box width) and remember that the box will open straight up and want to have room for it to open without binding up against the front of the cabin. If that makes any sense. The trailer "tears" out and isn't just a flat wall that the box would sit next to. So the hinges will sit back below the front point of the cabin.

JJMAC

Adventurer
Makes sense. There would be a space at the bottom between the tool box and the cabin at the bottom of the front curve of trailer: ")" I imagine that it is only a few inches. I certainly dont want it to look ghetto. Especially on a 25k trailer.

Just trying to figure out an inexpensive way to get waterproof lockable storage. The lockable cage they offer looks great, but anything in there will be completely covered in dust or mud anytime you travel and I can see that getting annoying pretty quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998