Softshell suggestions?

Bad Voodoo

Unassuming Superhero
If you're willing to pay a bit more for small-lot US-made technical clothing, TAD Gear is about the only option out there. Quality stuff all around and a great staff of folks over there in 'The City.' I don't mind supporting them or their US sources in the least!
42.gif

tombodad

Adventurer
that does look pretty sweet. And I am all for supporting the US of A. [While we still have one left... :Wow1:]
Wasn't thinking about a hood, but I guess I am not opposed. Never owned a hooded softshell before.

tombodad

Adventurer
On second review, that jacket seems to be a bit looser fitting than the "ice-climbing" style softshell. Is this true, or just a misconception from their pictures?

MotoDave

Explorer
that does look pretty sweet. And I am all for supporting the US of A. [While we still have one left... :Wow1:]
Wasn't thinking about a hood, but I guess I am not opposed. Never owned a hooded softshell before.

The hood on these is designed so it sits very flat against your shoulders when not in use. I like it a lot better than loose floppy hoods that catch the wind.

As far as fit, I'd definitely say they are 'Athletic Cut'. I ordered one size larger than the site recommended and am happy with the looser fit.

Bad Voodoo

Unassuming Superhero
'Athletic Cut' describes the fit pretty accurately, as a second layer over say, a Merino wool or other synthetic mock turtleneck.

tombodad

Adventurer
I do really love TAD gear. The more I look over their site, the better they look. :wings:
Only bad thing is they are too small to find on the discount sites... although I don't feel too bad supporting the little guys. Especially American little guys. Just have to save up my allowance a little longer... lol.

Alacrity

Have a early Tad Gear Hoodie - just a great jacket. Tough as nails, sheds better than I expected, dig the collar/aero hood. Extremely well made, likely a permanent fixture. I've heard good things re: the Spectre as well.

Also have some kind of Mountain Hardware SS - maybe a G50. Picked it up out west on clearance. Yea I buy my gear careful - I pack well too. :coffeedrink: Its been very good as well, had it for a number of years - like new, but its been cared for well (Nikwax stuff).

Can recommend any of the 3 - but you'd be well served by any of the topflite mfg.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
I like Eddie Bauer clothes. IMO they are camparable quality to the leading companies listed in this thread, offer the same warranties as the others, and are just as warm. Mainly I like EB clothes because they fit me, I'm a tall lanky guy and they offer just about everything in a "Tall" size. I've said goodbye to tiny sleeves.

Here's a budget soft shell. I tried this on today and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back and buy it. Good price, warm, and it looked promising. $130

EB09AR_0014088_233B3

EB also has a newish line out called, First Ascent. This is more pricey, but is a top dog with the competition. $230

EB09IB_0013997_255C1

SpaceWrangler

the best softshell i've found is the marmot sharpe pointe jacket. ..it's super durable and fits like it was taylor made.

mrmt_8083_hedge_08.jpg

Amontgomery

For posterity's sake, and I know it has been a while since anyone posted in this thread.

I just want to throw my vote behind TAD.

I have a Spectre LRPv2 (Last fall model) and it is awesome. I grabbed it up for a heavy-duty cold weather jacket (doesn't get below 20*F here) for when I have to ride my bike extended distances in the rain (happens more than you think).

Even at the coldest time last winter I still never needed to layer any more than a T-shirt with it, and after 30 minutes in HARD rain, no water had made it through.

I also grabbed one of their Explorer half-zip jackets and a neck gaiter and both work very well for layering in colder weather than we have here (perfect for standing still outside for extended periods of time while not exercising)

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I bought a Mammut, they really have some technology behind their products, this jacket is tiny, and amazing.

That being said I´m never caught dead outside of my Belstaff :)

Speaker

Adventurer
Here's a budget soft shell. I tried this on today and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back and buy it. Good price, warm, and it looked promising. $130

EB09AR_0014088_233B3

Hah. What a great photo. A guy standing on a rock with a bunch of quickdraws clipped to a backpack. That's pretty extreme stuff.

Tacoma4life

I have had bad luck with Mt Hardware products. Their taped seams seem to dissolve and fall apart.

Marmot has been good in the past, though I haven't bought any Marmot gear in quite a while.

Though expensive, I highly recommend Arc Teryx. I own an Arc Teryx hooded soft shell and I can say it has held up amazingly well for 7 years. In fact it looks brand new, no wear anywhere, and it has been used a LOT. Their materials and craftmanship are truely above the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998