Solar powered adventure trailer

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Well, I got a good deal on the 8 batteries so I figured I may as well use them. :). And my buddy gave me two new marine batteries ( series 24) that he had in a camper that he sold. I got the 60 watt panel for cheap too, otherwise I probably would have just charged them off my truck and via shore power.

I'm only going to be powering LED lighting, HF radio, my laptop and cell phone, a fan for cooling at night, and a coffee pot in the AM.

I have two propane tanks on the front for cooking....

Should I leave off the two marine batteries? I'm new to this whole solar/battery powered adventuring, so I'm here to learn.

Do you mean an electric coffee pot? If so, you may need all of those batteries after all.
Jeff

loren85022

Explorer
We could not find a good 12v coffee pot that met our needs. Its the one thing we plug in a lil converter to one batt.

madmax718

Explorer
Coffee is a very personal thing, so I won't pass judgement here. However, Coffee pot is 800 watts. Two batteries+ inverter is more than enough.

Might I recommend some, "other" options:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5008C700-Camping-Coffee-Maker/dp/B001K7IDVU/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2 (fits on top of a stove, but still a drip pot)
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...feemaker/dp/B004E4IAEQ/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_1 (propane powered)
http://www.amazon.com/Primus-BrewFire-Coffee-Brewer-P-460010/dp/B003T6BF5Q/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt (propane or butane fired) (though I don't recommend this one, its a little too.. finicky with batteries).

Just about everything you listed can be operated on 12v. LED lighting, (so many options), laptop (12v car chargers, not too expensive, and they make universal kits so you can use them even after you change laptops), USB 12v chargers (like the one in your car) and 12v fans. I have ones I made from old computer fans drawing 1.5 amps, but I just bought a road pro 8D/12V powered fan which only takes 500ma. (states 40hr of run time on low).

Anytime you use an inverter, say goodbye to a good chunk of your power just due to conversion losses. You could probably run every one of your needs for 2-3 days on only 2 batteries, if not a heck of a lot longer.

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
I plan on not using an inverter, I know they waste power.

So I'll definitely drop the two marine batteries and just use the 8 batteries under the floor, 38 Amp hours each.

I think I will switch from 4 AWG wire up to 2 AWG, run a fat power wire from an automatic charging relay back to charge from my truck, utilize a battery tender to plug in when shore power is available, and trickle charge from the 60 watt solar panel via the 8 amp rated solar charge controller.

I can make coffee via propane or my multi fuel backpacking stove.

I doubt that I use as much power as I think I will; occasional ham radio use, laptop for photo and video editing, charging cell phones and cameras, LED lighting and a 12v fan. Maybe some type of 12v heater for cooler weather...

Ill also add a fuze block and run my 12v outlets from it.

What else am I missing? :)

4x4junkie

Explorer
What else am I missing? :)

I would add more solar (a lot more).

I recall reading somewhere (off-grid-living forum I think) your solar charging capacity should be at minimum 5% of your total battery storage AH capacity (10% being more ideal) if it's to charge the batteries effectively, otherwise the batteries will sit too long at less than full-charge which leads to premature sulfation of their lead plates.

If you have 304Ah at hand (agreed, that is a lot), then you would need another 150 or so watts of solar panel to get your charge current up above 15A for topping those batteries up correctly.
If you can plug your setup into grid power each time you come back from a trip (15A or better 3-stage charger), that can help mitigate the sulfation to some degree.

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
Yes, I will post more pictures of the mounting bracket in action.

I've been thinking of adding at least one more panel. I agree that to recharge this many amp hours completely ill need more solar, especially for a stand alone solar powered system. I have the roof space for it. The batteries charge from my truck when the trailer is hooked up. While I'm home the battery pack is hooked up to a battery tender and I also have a battery charger for faster recharging from my generator or when power is available. For now, until I find another panel, the solar is more of an additional trickle charger...

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
Ok, so now that my batteries are in place under the floor and wired together, I have my solar panel mounted and my charge controller, plus other charging sources (battery tender and vehicle charge control) What is the best way to hook up my 12v power outlets, 12v LED lighting, HAM radio, etc? Should I just run power directly from the batteries to an automotive type fuse box and a negative grounding strip? Or is there a specific type of fuse box I need or a better way?

loren85022

Explorer
Regarding your solar panels. I cannot imagine why you would need charging given the total capacity you are storing. Nonetheless, you might consider a portable solar panel that allows you to park in the shade and with a extension cord, charge with the panel out in the sun. This obviously does not work as well if you driving all day, every day.

Sent from my iToaster

DeMented Toys

Adventurer
The panel is detachable. It's also angle adjustable for those times I don't get to park in the shade.

I'm guessing I should run power to an automotive or marine fuse box and a grounding strip and tie all my 12 volt outlets, LED lighting and stuff into them. Am I on the right track?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78