Solar/Wind AC- Multi use (Cab, Camper, Micro-ish home)

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
If you are really sold on wind energy, for something in this scale I'd urge you to look at the little Air turbines. They were originally developed by Southwest Windpower, for whom I used to work. There are more than 150,000 around the world and the bugs have been thoroughly worked out. Lots of round-the-world sail cruisers rely on them and they've held up on every continent. Southwest Windpower sold the rights, and then folded, so I'm not longer affiliated with them (but still think it's a great product). They are now built and sold by http://www.primuswindpower.com/ and they brought on much of the original staffing. They have a survival wind speed in excess of 100 mph.

I now work for another wind turbine manufacturer and it's been my second career, so I think I'm being unbiased here... And, having said that, I'd never put a wind turbine on an RV. First off, driving with one just doesn't make any sense. You'll use more energy than you'll produce and it's a terribly inefficient way to make the energy you want. Second, when stopped, the turbine's operational sound and vibration will be transmitted into your living quarters. I did have some experience with a mast, which tried to address this issue... it was, basically, a rectangular foot onto which you drove the RV tire. The mast protruded upward from that, without touching the RV. But, what a pain to set up. If, as you plan, you mount a wind turbine mast/tower onto the RV itself it will will drive you nuts.

Take it from a wind energy advocate and someone who's been on most of the wind standards panels and committees... for an RV or expedition vehicle like ours, skip the wind turbine. Wind has its place, certainly. But, we just ordered 855 Watts of solar (PV) for our rig today. And I even have two of those Air turbines in boxes, unused.

Coachgeo

Explorer
If you are really sold on wind energy, for something in this scale I'd urge you to look at the little Air turbines. They were originally developed by Southwest Windpower, for whom I used to work. There are more than 150,000 around the world and the bugs have been thoroughly worked out. Lots of round-the-world sail cruisers rely on them and they've held up on every continent. Southwest Windpower sold the rights, and then folded, so I'm not longer affiliated with them (but still think it's a great product). They are now built and sold by http://www.primuswindpower.com/ ....
Much much thanx for the info. Hope to get around 800 or so solar as well. Wind was for night time parked and some supplimental to support Alternator and swap drag of AC compressor with drag by wind allowing to use same AC unit in cab as elsewhere to keep in the Multi-Use spectrum. Suposedly... and its very iffy since they are not out to be tested yet the AmericanWind company's turbins designed by an airanautical engineer are said to be least drag producing out there and tested up to 120mph?? Will see.

Alternatively, and probably how I'de start out anyway, since a vehicle AC Compressor puts about 8hp load on an engine; maybe should just plan to run a gen set for the times it's so hot I want cab air. This way can still use the DC motored Portable AC unit in cab as would in Camper, Shop Box etc. Gen set I got is also diesel and only around 8hp anyway so the fuel used may not be much different. Don't even have AC in my car and haven't for at least a decade so it's not like I'll need it a lot.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Most cruising sailors pitch the wind generators pretty quick. Noisy... Did I mention Noisy? That and vibration. They are also really costly too.

Go solar, its the cheapest route. As said once set up pretty much a life time deal with hard panels.

dlh62c

Explorer
.... AC in vehicle, another AC in camper........ Another AC in house etc.
Regarding the truck without AC, roll down the windows, stick your arms out and you’ll get the sense your flying. Source a window air conditioner for the house, placing it in a room that has the highest comfort priority. This could be the bedroom, the living or dining room. There are places RV’s go to die. You should be able to source a used RV roof top A/C unit. Make sure the unit you get cools as well as heats. Grab the thermostat assembly as well.

.... Truck for camping, Another Truck for generic hauling etc.
It’s going to be a compromise, when you want to haul something, the camper will be mounted, and when you want to go camping, the camper won’t be there.

.... Solar set up for house, another for camper etc.
.... power storage for house...... another for camper etc.
Consider building the battery bank and solar to match the power needs of the camper. Then adapt a way to connect the camper to power the house when your there. Any additional power demands required for the house over the camper would be added to the house. When you’re not there, the solar system and a small battery bank may be enough to support just the house’s power requirements.

Running an A/C unit off solar and a battery bank can and has been done, but it can be problematic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman