Sold - 1998 Mitsubishi Montero - Rear Locker - ARB Rear Springs

Instead of bullet points about the vehicle, I'll do more of a story time.

I'm moving out of state, so I'm selling 2 of my 3 Monteros. This Gen2.5 is ready to be sold, the Gen1 I'm still doing some work on to get it prepared.
The vehicle was purchased as a winter vehicle for my partner, but once we had a baby, she stopped driving it and we got another newer vehicle. We have owned it for about 3 years, but haven't driven it too much, I used it as a daily briefly while my other Montero was down. I wanted to keep it, but have 5 other vehicles, so I never had time to dig into this one.

The previous owner was a really nice dude and told me as much as he could about it, he worked for the forestry service and drove the vehicle a lot on trails and forestry roads so it has LOTS of scratches on the body and the sunroof is full of twigs and stuff. He kept up with maintenance pretty well, but said he was just needed a newer vehicle for work that didn't require as much attention as a montero with 200k+ typically requires. I did get some receipts with the vehicle, but not all, I was told it had a previous timing belt, water pump service, but I don't have the documentation for that so I'm not sure when. You can see the other work that was done in the photos of the receipts. I misplaced some receipts and also the paperwork from the original owner who was a Japanese gentleman who bought it in Southern California.

Since I've owned it I've only put in a new radiator (original had a pinhole that I just happened to notice, it never actually overheated), put in a newer battery, replaced a taillight, replaced a cargo door hinge, installed some newer rear seats before the originals had rips, installed a cd deck, and replaced some light bulbs that were burnt out.

With that out of the way, here's the good things about the vehicle: It starts right up and runs well, all lights and signals work, has ARB/OME rear springs (also comes with stock pair), has OEM rear air locker, not a ton of miles at 214k, rides pretty nice with some squeaks, radio works, heat works, AC works (last time i used it), 4WD works well, rear locker works well, tires are newish 31x10.50R15's (see receipts).

Some things I've noticed that will need fixed/attention: It has the typical issues that most Montero owners will be familiar with. It smokes a fair bit (seems like valve stems seals), tends to do it most when you sit for a minute at idle then take off. You can smell the smoke quite a lot inside the vehicle, sitting at drive thru's might get you some looks. The door locks can be a bit goofy. The windshield has quite a few cracks and should be replaced. Driver seat base is ripped up and should be replaced. The body has lots of scratches and clearcoat is peeling all over, it has a dent on the left rear door and a dent of the right rear pillar above the taillight. The ABS light is on, not sure why but the brakes are noisy, so that may have something to do with it, a brake job would be a good idea. The sunroof cover has lots of twigs in it and sunroof feels sticky, a good cleaning and lube should fix this. Leaks a bit of oil, par for the course with Monteros, probably a combination of valve cover and rear cam seals, but never investigated.

Vehicle is located in Idaho Falls, clean title in hand, delivery isn't available because I just don't have the time, have way too much on my plate with fixing/selling house and moving.
Price is (SOLD), because that's what I think is fair, not crazy 2023 prices from sellers quoting Dakar wins and how rare a blister fender model is (just stop it guys)
If you have any questions or wanted specific photos, just let me know.

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Love it! good luck with the sale, hope you find a good buyer that will love it rather than polish and flip it.

I'm going to figure out a way to get this purchased. Give me a couple days.

Just let me know if you have any questions. I'd like to tell you it could make a long road trip, but I just haven't driven it enough to vouch for it. I've driven it 60 miles on the highway and it did fine, but the rest has just been little in town trips. The previous owner was very confident it could make it anywhere I needed to go, he drove it hundreds of miles a week to remote areas for work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior