SONICMASD's 98 Montero LS Build & Adventure Thread: Black Betty

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Silly question: are you able to shift your t-case from 2h to 4h while in motion? I swear i used to be able to in mine but now i can't. Wondering if maybe i need to get a white ball.

Love this thread, stealing many of your ideas. :)

Yes I can. I do have to put some force into it though (more than like if it was a manual transmission shifter).

One weird thing is that when I try shifting out of 4H into 2H i sometimes get a grinding or whining noise. So I usually just do it in neutral and at a full stop. Not like I deal with many flash rain or snow storms in Phoenix.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Hrm. Mine just grinds going from 2h to 4h. I think i can do 4h to 2h without issue though. Doesn't bother me that badly, but it would be nice to have for snowy days.

My truck doesnt seem to lock out reverse while in motion. Went past neutral trying to shift into 4h the other day and stuck it in reverse while doing about 20mph. That didnt feel awesome.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Hrm. Mine just grinds going from 2h to 4h. I think i can do 4h to 2h without issue though. Doesn't bother me that badly, but it would be nice to have for snowy days.

My truck doesnt seem to lock out reverse while in motion. Went past neutral trying to shift into 4h the other day and stuck it in reverse while doing about 20mph. That didnt feel awesome.

Ya, I think until you get the tcase or shifter taken apart/inspected you're better off coming to a full stop, putting it in N, and then shifting the transfer case. As awesome as our rigs are, they're old ladies you know and every now and then need to be handled gently. haha

SONICMASD

Adventurer
1/12/16: As I mentioned previously, the torque-steer from the front Detroit locker had bothered me from day 1. On rock the traction is amazing and having it on automatically was a big help many times, especially on the Broken Arrow trail. But I'm not primarily a rock crawler. I'm an overlander and my trips normally consist of many hours of flying down dirt roads. I found myself keeping Betty in 2WD to avoid the locker's excess traction when not needed so it was more of a hindrance to me than an asset.

Just got Betty back from the mechanic and she's back to an open diff now. My next overland trip is in 2 weeks (4 hour drive each way to the Desert Bar in Parker, AZ for some camping and drinking) so that will be the new set up's first trial.
IMG_5641.jpg
IMG_5642.jpg

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The Detroit is going up for sale or did you work it into a labor trade?

SONICMASD

Adventurer
The Detroit is going up for sale or did you work it into a labor trade?

I'n gonna wheel it a few times with the open diff and then make a decision. If i do decide to sell (which is the most likely scenario), I'll post it here and in the fb garage sale group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jms_brns

Observer
Just went through your entire thread (and General Li), awesome builds!

I have the same issue with my headlight high beams and it has bugged me forever but I've never really looked into it. Let me know if you end up finding anything out.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Yo guys,

I wanted to share with you my new GPS set up.

Over the last year I've had my iphone 6 in a ram x-grip mount, attached to the windshield with a single suction cup. It works well but navigating off road was kind of annoying with such a small screen. Also, I was filling up my phone's storage with maps (more on maps in a bit). So I began looking for a tablet that I could use exclusively for navigation in the Montero and I settled on the Fusion5 7" phablet.

I know, I've never heard of Fusion5 either but for $60 and Amazon's return policy I figured why not?

The tablet has a lot of features that tablets many times more expensive do not have that made it exactly what I was looking for:

16GB Storage (upgrade able to 128) - For storing maps and music
Built in GPS - duh
Android OS - For downloading Google Play and Apps
Sim Card Slot - For international calling if on vacation
Bluetooth
Wifi

To use offroad: simply download the "PDF Maps" App by Avenza. Create an account and search the store for the maps you want. There are a lot of free maps, including some Natl. Forest Maps.

Then you just open the pdf map and if you're on the map in real life, the tablet will show your location on it. I downloaded a bunch of free maps for the Tonto Natl. Forest and tested the tablet on my last Verde River Trip. It worked great, and was accurate within a few feet.

You'll want to make sure you have a 12v socket charger with usb/mini usb input so you can charge your tablet while driving.

The tablet comes with a screen protector installed but finding a case for it is near impossible which is one of the downsides of going with a no name brand. There is a folio case for it but that wouldn't work great in this situation, so I opted for a universal silicone case and with some minor trimming for the buttons it works okay.

I tried to find a way to mount it in the car but haven't had any luck. I tried a double suction cup windshield RAM mount but decided that it blocked too much of my view and also I was too scared of it falling off. I tried finding a way to bolt a ram base to the center gauge cluster but the center gauge is held on by 2 screws bolted into old plastic so the forces would be too much for it over time and I think you'd break your center gauge cluster housing. I would need to custom fab up a piece of metal that goes under the center gauge cluster like Eurosonic did in his build thread but I don't really have the skills for that.

I might try the Nite-Ize line of magnetic mounts in the future to see if one of those works but for now, the tablet fits great behind the transmission shifter and I can just check it when stopped or the passenger can use it. You could easily mount it below the radio on that empty single din panel but I plan on putting an ultra-gauge there soon.

IMG_5355.jpg
IMG_5445.jpg
IMG_5450.jpg
IMG_5455.jpg

The preferred set up for now:
IMG_5532.jpg

Last edited:

LibertyFLS

Observer
Great thread, loads of useful info, just went through the whole thing. My t-case shifter has a ton of side to side play that my '95 didn't have, I'm guessing it's the white ball, but I can shift into every gear fine, so may or may not bother with that. I need to fix my cam seal gears though cause she leaks a lot, so when we do that gonna do t-belt, plugs and coils all at once. Just went on my first off road adventure over the past weekend with this truck and had a blast, mud, rock, dirt, puddles, got water and mud all over the engine bay, thankfully didn't ever cut out like you experienced.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Great thread, loads of useful info, just went through the whole thing. My t-case shifter has a ton of side to side play that my '95 didn't have, I'm guessing it's the white ball, but I can shift into every gear fine, so may or may not bother with that. I need to fix my cam seal gears though cause she leaks a lot, so when we do that gonna do t-belt, plugs and coils all at once. Just went on my first off road adventure over the past weekend with this truck and had a blast, mud, rock, dirt, puddles, got water and mud all over the engine bay, thankfully didn't ever cut out like you experienced.

Thank you! Glad to see you enjoying your new Monty.

Ya, the water cutting out my engine was a total fluke and not something experienced by other Monty owners. Heck, Eurosonic is fording raging rivers in his rig and hasn't had that problem.

My guess is that:

1. this is just a particular issue with my sensor.

and/or

2. the mud hole was way deeper than I thought and I hit it way too fast

and/or

3. A drop of water/mud got really really lucky and hit the one exact spot needed to short something out (and I got really really unlucky.)

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Next time we hang out i can help with your mounting bracket for the tablet.

razor541

Observer
Ditto on attempting to find a good solution for the GPS setup. My suction cup mount doesn't seem to hold up even with my phone, let alone the tablet.

Would a ram mount coming off the compass cluster be a decent route? Not sure how much force the bolts could put to that plastic...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger