Sould I get an off road trailer? Why or Why Not?

Romer

Adventurer
I am selling my Jayco Baja based on the fact my daughters have grown up and are on their own. Both have said I shouldn't as we may use it at times during the summer. In 3 years though, I have only used it 8 times. But it's been great when I have used it. It's like luxury at the campground in the Black Hills, Moab, at Flat Nasty and a couple places in the Rockies. I can take it over moderate trails, more than a fire road, but less than a challenge. This at least helps set up a base camp

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have an Oasis RTT I bought to do the Rubicon, low weight and would not impact the center of gravity. My truck has a hot shower system and a frig. I have a PETT setup and all the supplies for a nice camping experience.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was thinking I should get an offroad trailer. I could use that at Moab, etc and I could take it on runs where the Baja camper can't go.

Thinking the trailer would be more comfortable with a tent like an ARB Simpson III. Electricity, room for my camping supplies, maybe a second fridge and it would fit in the garage so it wouldn't age with the weather.

The AT Horizon is my perfect idea of a trailer. Could save up a bit and get it. The Conquerer Compact is real nice and have been debating on buying the one for sale

There are a couple of M416 sized builds also for sale that would be great. I think these were really cool. Not as nice as my first choice the AT Horizon though, but a lot less coin.

Reading through deiselcruiserhead build thread (Nice build by the way) I found the following post

The big problem with the trailer is I'm really too many years ahead of when I need it. I built it out of lust not logic, and that's OK, but Kurt was questioning it particularly in the beginning (saying "what do you need a trailer for") and was right the whole time...

Here I am 48 years old thinking of getting a trailer. I would use it, haul it to Moab, maybe do the overnight run, maybe do wheeling between our club and the Wasatch club, and do more of the club camping runs. The above quote hit me and I don't have an answer

IF I prefer the ARB to the Oasis II, I could always just get the ARB Simpson III and changing room. Not sure the truck would fit in the garage, would be close.

I could get a trailer and it would become a hobby modifying it like I have my 80 series cruiser over the last few years

I could just keep the Oasis (42lbs), sell the camper and be done

I could keep the Baja. I just hate having it sit outside, not be used much and I don't want to pay inside storage

With the trailer, I was thinking it would be big enough my daughters could come along (use the Oasis II on one daughters truck, provide a level of comfort above what I already have and easily be stored in my garage. I am thinking I would use it more because it COULD go more places.

I did the Rubicon with the RTT and other stuff I have now, so need isn't really applicable here. It also shows I am not a web wheeler looking for some more pretty toys. Toys are good though!
attachment.php

When I do go camping, I go for days to a week and don't think I want to spend a week in an Oasis II even though it is comfortable with its springy floor.

I am in a quandary and guessing many folks here have been where I am. Looking for suggestions and why you did or did not make the call to buy a trailer

Thanks

Last edited:

Romer

Adventurer
One good reason is so I don't have to take the tent off and find a place to store it. I have 15" above my mounting bars to the door (garage). The website says 15" closed for the ARB Simpson. Even though its right on the hair, It probably will have contact issues. Besides, I don't think I would want the RTT on my roof all the time.

Another thing is having all your camping gear stowed and ready to go. Just add food and water.

The climb into the tent isn't as high and its a bit akward (For a fat old guy) getting out of the oasis and down the ladder. When I am someplace any longer than a day, I take the Oasis off the roof and set it next to the truck, one of its advantages

I don't want to pack up camp everytime I want to go for a drive. One of the nice things about having a camper to begin with. Course putting away the RTT is about 10-15 minutes, but its the rest of the camp stuf too.

Just some thoughts as I am debating this.

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Hey Ken, glad you read my thread. I'm even still on the fence myself as I consider selling it and keeping it for many of the same reasons... It is nice to have though really for just a fun easy quick home base. I'll respond with more detail in a little while...

Romer

Adventurer
Hey Ken, glad you read my thread. I'm even still on the fence myself as I consider selling it and keeping it for many of the same reasons... It is nice to have though really for just a fun easy quick home base. I'll respond with more detail in a little while...

Thanks Andre, yours was one of the two I was looking at. I was actually drafting a PM with questions when I saw that post and it made me sit back and ponder the question. That's a good thing as I will likely move forward but will make sure I think it through. Although I really like the AT Horizon something like your build would likely be more practical. If I was doing a month long trip, then maybe the Horizon.

I appreciate being able to vent my thoughts. This is a new area for me and being an engineer I tend to be more anal about evaluating different perspectives.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Ken,
If its primarily just "you" camping and it sounds like you are OK being without a trailer why not get a Maggiolina or Columbus for more comfortable and secure (when cold, rainy and/or windy) sleeping atop your 80? If you get the small size the weight isn't too bad. Tom Ferrin wheeled Utah just fine with his Magg atop his 80...

Having said all that I love my trailers. AT Horizon and now KK. Primarily for comfort reasons and the ability to just put water in it and its ready for adventure along with a nice space to get out of the wet/windy/cold/buggy conditions. Do I need my KK? Nope. But I've spent over 30-nights in the KK this year with more coming with upland bird season starting in a couple weeks and really appreciate the extra layer of comfort it provides.

Like any tool my KK doesn't get towed on some trails: Hole in the Rock for instance. No biggy because I use it enough to justify its existence and cost for other trails/areas.

If I was seriously looking at a Horizon I would give serious consideration to the new AT Teardrop. Lighter, more convenient, more comfortable, nothing to fold up when wet/dirty, heat and A/C options, etc.

Last edited:

Romer

Adventurer
It is primarilly just me, but I do expect one or both my daughters to go with me at times. Rachel came with me on the Rubicon. Sarah is at College an hour away and they both have their built trucks. The wife went with us once to Moab in the camper because Sarah guilted her into it, and never again

When we did the Rubicon, I took the middle seats out (rear were gone long ago) I had large storage boxes tied down in the middle area with anchor points to haul all my gear. That worked fine, but takes time to get ready and then tear down. The Oasis II does give me the ability to set up camp and go on a run by taking it off the roof, but I did a feel a bit cramped

uh - oh I think I am talking myself into a trailer:coffeedrink:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Great Ken, BTW welcome to the Portal... You're gonna find a lot of us over here quite a bit these days... :)

I am definitely a fan and I definitely waiver. I have to redo some aspects of the arms and the cross member they mount to but I am really glad I at least built it. The thing is I am just me (wife has pretty much ruled out 4WD trips unfortunately) and we are years away from kids unfortunately. If funds were stronger as always I would just keep it, use once a year at Moab and maybe some other little trips and that's it. I'm not that into a RTT on the roof because of the added weight and 55s (when its finally done) tip easily and I have wheeled with a heavy roof load and don't like it. I was planning on building a platform inside for just me. If it fits only one also it also resists the temptation for hookers and the hot daughters of friends ;) The only real liability is the storage location and if you plan on doing some hardcore wheeling en route to Moab or wherever. In the upcoming years I plan on taking some crazy routes to Moab via the South etc assuming I have the time and the trailer in tight off road situations will also be a liability possibly. I also have a pickup I plan to use before the 55 is done and in that case the RTT mounted to the bed will be the best coarse of action... But if I even head straight to Moab or the Con or wherever, every time I'll wish I had the trailer. I guess these are my own ramblings as well... :)

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Ken, I'll throw in my two cents although I'm far less experienced with a trailer than a lot of the guys here. Without a doubt my little homebuilt trailer has been awesome! I love having it, and it's not even set up that well yet. We still use a ground tent, it doesn't have electricity yet, but it carries water/fuel and our camping gear. I'm in a little different situation than you are in that I MUST have the trailer since I'm out of seats in the 80 with my wife 4 kids and the dog. I just have nowhere else to put gear. I know your daughters both have their own trucks and like to drive trails on their own, but maybe you have them in the same truck with you occasionally, or have other passengers. That's when a trailer is helpful. You don't have a cramped interior full of gear that makes it uncomfortable for anyone that may be riding with you.

Additionally, it's those multi-day camping trips on not-so-hard trails where you'll take the trailer anyway and if you're like me, those are the same trips where its nice to have family or a buddy or two along for the ride.

I'm with you, the AT Horizon would be the ultimate in trail trailers IMO, but I could also do just fine with the Chaser. For me it was just too much money, and I could build mine for MUCH less initial cost and slowly add the extras as I could afford them. However, one goal I had with mine was that it would be strong enough that I could pull it through a trail like the Rubicon without concern. I would feel totally comfortable doing that. I think you could do that with either of the AT models as well but their baseline weight is heavier, making them more of a challenge to pull through tough trails. Pulling a trailer through tough trails may not even be in your plans, but its kinda like lockers or a winch, I may not need them that often but I like knowing I do when the time comes. Same with the trailer, I may not ever pull it through a tough trail but I like feeling confident that I could with minimal hassle if I needed to.

For me the biggest plus of the trailer (besides just needing the cargo room) is the idea that I can pull into Moab or somewhere else and set up my campsite and really be set up and not have to worry about loading and unloading the truck to set up camp each nite. Also having the security of the trailer, where I can stow gear inside the trailer while I'm out wheeling for the day and lock it up securely inside the trailer if I'm worried about somebody walking away with some of my stuff.

Good luck with your decision.

One last thought. I had a chance to talk a little bit with Martyn from AT a few weeks ago at Paul May's house. He made a comment that I think I agree with. If you want a trailer setup like one of the Chaser or Horizon or one of the Conqueror trailers, it will be difficult to build your own and have it equipped to the same level for less money than it costs to just buy one of those trailers. I don't agree with that 100% but pretty close. There are always deals to be had on materials or gear that can keep the cost down if you decided to build your own. But in the end, you'll spend close to the same money as you would have if you'd have just bought one. We'll see how that ends up with mine. I'm currently into mine about $1200 and I'm very happy with that. But there's lots of bells and whistles still waiting to be added.

Romer

Adventurer
Thanks Adam, you are still a wise man

I like this forum, seems that lots of old friends are here :D

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
One last thought. I had a chance to talk a little bit with Martyn from AT a few weeks ago at Paul May's house. He made a comment that I think I agree with. If you want a trailer setup like one of the Chaser or Horizon or one of the Conqueror trailers, it will be difficult to build your own and have it equipped to the same level for less money than it costs to just buy one of those trailers. I don't agree with that 100% but pretty close. There are always deals to be had on materials or gear that can keep the cost down if you decided to build your own. But in the end, you'll spend close to the same money as you would have if you'd have just bought one. We'll see how that ends up with mine. I'm currently into mine about $1200 and I'm very happy with that. But there's lots of bells and whistles still waiting to be added.

That's an interesting comment, and I'm not sure I agree with it, even though my trailer is way over budget.

Sure, I *could* have bought a Conqueror Conquest for $5000 or $8000 or whatever they were clearing them out for. But that was the exception, not the rule. From what I've seen, it would cost about $20-30k to buy something comparable to mine.

I guess I should add up the costs to find out what mine really cost. I know for the basics, it was maybe $5000. It was all the extras that cost money, things that aren't included in a pre-made trailer anyway.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
That's an interesting comment, and I'm not sure I agree with it, even though my trailer is way over budget.

Sure, I *could* have bought a Conqueror Conquest for $5000 or $8000 or whatever they were clearing them out for. But that was the exception, not the rule. From what I've seen, it would cost about $20-30k to buy something comparable to mine.

I guess I should add up the costs to find out what mine really cost. I know for the basics, it was maybe $5000. It was all the extras that cost money, things that aren't included in a pre-made trailer anyway.

Rob don't forget to add in the man hours you have invested from planning through to completion.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I bought our trailer because I hate having everything inside the 4Runner. It feels very crowded. We also plan to have kids and once we do, that means the rear seat needs to be functional, which reduces the amount of cargo space inside. I also do not like having to put things on a rack overhead. The best part is keeping all of our camping gear in the trailer at home, ready to go. All we need to do is pack our clothes and gather food. The only downside to having a trailer (at least in CA) is the 55 mph towing speed limit. It kinda makes for a long drive.

I really wanted to get an Adventure Trailer Chaser. After discussing it with my wife, I realized that we were not going to have that kind of money to spend on a trailer. Instead, I bought an old Bantam trailer for $800. I figure I can build my trailer for less than the price of a base Chaser. Granted, the Chaser is very nice and has had a lot of R&D and an awesome suspension setup, but I can probably get by without that.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Not to sound like I'm scolding nor moderating but Ken's real question only inquires about whether to get an off-road trailer or not. I assume Ken could quickly figure out if he was interested in building his own trailer...for whatever reason he rationalizes...once we help him decide if he needs one ;-)

Box Rocket

Not to sound like I'm scolding nor moderating but Ken's real question only inquires about whether to get an off-road trailer or not. I assume Ken could quickly figure out if he was interested in building his own trailer...for whatever reason he rationalizes...once we help him decide if he needs one ;-)

Yes, but that "need" can be very different based on its intended use and a homebuilt one could meet that need adequately for a lot less $. It did for me. Besides this thread would be boring if the only response was, "Yep you should get a trailer."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior