Sould I get an off road trailer? Why or Why Not?

Romer

Adventurer
The only downside to having a trailer (at least in CA) is the 55 mph towing speed limit. It kinda makes for a long drive.

Didnt know that. I typically am driving about 80 on the flat lands towing the baja

The only way for him to decide is to read why others bought theirs.

I think I am there with the need for a trailer

Thanks for everyones inputs

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I started with a m416 to do the rtt thing. I even made a killer lid for it ect. So what do I do. sold it and bought a Horizon and never looked back. First night out it rained and not one drop inside the tent. The side bx's are nice can pack a lot of stuff in them and the main bx is big. I will be getting a fridge in the future but a good marine cooler does the job for now. Look at them close.they are not cheap but own one and use it you will see why.

Attachments

• DSC01840.JPG
    DSC01840.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC01841.JPG
    DSC01841.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC01857.JPG
    DSC01857.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC01855.JPG
    DSC01855.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Rob don't forget to add in the man hours you have invested from planning through to completion.

Yep, there's that. But that's a matter of perspective I guess. I enjoyed it, it's a hobby as much as anything so... I don't calculate the wage cost of my other interests.

I'd be the first to suggest you not undertake a trailer project unless you actually enjoy that type of thing. I don't doubt that if I wasn't enjoying it as much as I have, it would still be an unpainted hulk.

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Thanks Adam, you are still a wise man

I like this forum, seems that lots of old friends are here :D

Here goes the neighborhood!!! :elkgrin: Welcome aboard Ken, very different vibe over here... Hopefully it never becomes what the others have.

Having had one of the first M416's with rtt mounted on it then switching to a KK and now having neither. I wish that I would have kept the 416 with rtt, but I would've incorporated some type of canvas awning / Oztent / or small wall tent to set up right next to the trailer for a little added shelter.

Basically what I prefer is easy set up (30 min or less) with a little more shelter that may or may not need to be set up that can carry all the gear I need and follow where I want to go.

I would guess that after you having the Baja and going to a smaller trailer with a rtt you would miss the enclosed space and getting up in the middle of the night for nature calls. And would like the ease of such a small set up along with being able to back it into any corner, and man handling it if need be when not hooked to the truck

Just some thoughts, oh and it may be hard to have a cigar while laying down in the rtt while it's raining... :ylsmoke:

Romer

Adventurer
Here goes the neighborhood!!! :elkgrin: Welcome aboard Ken, very different vibe over here... Hopefully it never becomes what the others have.

Having had one of the first M416's with rtt mounted on it then switching to a KK and now having neither. I wish that I would have kept the 416 with rtt, but I would've incorporated some type of canvas awning / Oztent / or small wall tent to set up right next to the trailer for a little added shelter.

Basically what I prefer is easy set up (30 min or less) with a little more shelter that may or may not need to be set up that can carry all the gear I need and follow where I want to go.

I would guess that after you having the Baja and going to a smaller trailer with a rtt you would miss the enclosed space and getting up in the middle of the night for nature calls. And would like the ease of such a small set up along with being able to back it into any corner, and man handling it if need be when not hooked to the truck

Just some thoughts, oh and it may be hard to have a cigar while laying down in the rtt while it's raining... :ylsmoke:

Hey Darryl,

I know for sure the tent I would get would have the changing room and the ladder that comes inside the tent like the ARB Simpson II or the eziawn thats on AT's sight

Yes I am pretty convinced I will get a trailer. It's now just a timing of when and which one.

I really like the side access to storage of the Horizon and the Compact. There are some cool M416 builds which to me are similar to the Chaser, but no side access. However you can get to stuff from the back.

So my wish list I am developing is

Can take 33 or 35" tires. I think that rules out the Compact without some serious modification

Brakes (Not sure if the compact has them)

ability to add water tank and electrical set-up - Think I can do this on any of them

RTT that has the ladder come up inside the tent with a changing room. Be nice if it was big enough for a cot in the room like the compact

I want to run Toyota Rims so I don't need to put a spare on it.

I don't weld, so getting a trailer and welding isn't something I can do now. Maybe take some classes and expand my tool kit. But I do know how to add custom modifications with custom wiring, plumbing etc

Lot more reserach to do, but I have to sell the Baja before I can pull the trigger on anything. Doubt AT would take it as a trade in :D

Thanks for the great resource and the feeling of welcome to a newbie in this area.

Oh, and I can always find a safe way to have my glass of Crown R and a good Cigar :D

Ken

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I would also say if you can afford it I would buy a AT over a M416 or builder because it really takes time and AT has it right and while my trailer itself came back, I'm having to go back and re-do major aspects of the suspension. I personally love fab and building (and posting lots of nice pics of my welds, LOL Martin ;) ) butif you are busy or family or whatever it just isn't worth it. And then, even if you have time it still is massively time consuming and can wear you thin... I remember towards the end I think I put in a full week straight with last minute fab and paint on something that should have been done weeks earlier not that I wasn't working on it like crazy...

I figure I have at least 200 hours and at least $2500 into mine. I'm scared to look at the receipts (but I have them). Even getting a 2 or 3 year loan to get an AT I think would be worth it, FYI...

Last edited:

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
I'd be the first to suggest you not undertake a trailer project unless you actually enjoy that type of thing. I don't doubt that if I wasn't enjoying it as much as I have, it would still be an unpainted hulk.

I will second this statement 100%.

I haven't done a lot of fab work, but I have done some. Mostly cattle equipment repairs, trailer repairs, built my own roll cage for my Jeep as an addition to the factory setup and few other odds and ends. I THOUGHT I had a good idea of what I was doing and how to fit things together good enough to tackle a trailer project. In the beginning, figured I'd buy some steel, an axle, some lights and slap it together in a couple weekends then use it through the summer. I was WAY off on my early prediction. I have a build thread going somewhere here and you can see how far I've progressed. I have NEVER tackled a project of this size before, NEVER tackled this kind of steel fab work before and had NO idea what I was getting into. The statement above definitely holds true in that if I didn't enjoy this kind of thing, I'd be out a ton of time, a ton of money, and have nothing to show for it but a huge waste of parts, time and materials sitting in the garage taking up space. My goal now is to finish before winter. I'd LOVE to have it ready for elk camp at the end of October, but I really don't see that happening.

As for whether YOU need a trailer or not? Well, with your current rig, you being solo and camping, I'm kinda wondering why? If you're questioning it yourself, maybe try without for a while and see how it goes with your rig loaded up. What are you doing exactly? Wheeling? Camping alone? Combination of both? If just camping, I'd say forget the trailer, load up the rig and go. Being solo, you can get all your gear in your current rig and be fine. Prior to having our Baby, my wife and I fit most all our gear in our LJ. It was tight, but we did it. With the baby, we need the trailer. Now, if you're wheeling, I don't like all that extra weight and gear in the rig, so in that case, bring the trailer. Set up camp, drop the trailer and wheel. Spare parts, camp supplies, everything in the trailer ready to go. Food, supplies, tools, etc. all on hand if you need them. Build the trailer right and depending on the trailer, pull it behind you while you wheel. Keep in mind not all trails are trailer friendly though so know where you're going and your end location/destination and whether or not you need to drop the trailer when you get there.

Also, when looking at a trailer compare function of the trailer. I personally cannot afford a fancy AT Horizon, though I'd love to have one. It's a dedicated camping type trailer with basically one use. That's great and it's great at what it does, no question about that. I need something multi-purpose that can be used-and abused-doing many different things. I'm building mine similar in style to the AT, but heavier to meet my needs based off what I do and the demands I make off my trailers, and most importantly-multipurpose to meet the many requests I ask of it. If I had an AT and it was my only trailer, I wouldn't be throwing a ton of boulders or rocks into it to haul to the yard for building that rock wall in the front yard for landscaping the new house, or a ton of pellets for the wood stove, a bunch of firewood, yard debris, etc. Kind of limits the use of what you can do. I tried to address those restrictions with what I did with my build to get around that. To answer your question as to whether or not you NEED an off-road trailer, that may help sway your decision. Something along those lines that will serve dual-purpose, or multi-use may fit into your lifestyle better as you could use it off-road while wheeling and camping, then also around the house for utility work, ranch work, etc. That's exactly what I'm building and why I'm building it. Just a thought you may consider.

Sorry for rambling on so much.

Best of Luck in your decision,

Mike

roamingaz

Explorer
I was faced with the same dilema in the last few days myself.
Do I build/buy a trailer or just camp out of the truck and what about the family trips?
So here was my dilema, I had a ok built up Toyota truck with all the add on's but no matter what I did it was uncomfortable and most of my trips are solo and when the kids go I use the Sequoia. I really liked the convienence of the water tank and shower and the RTT was comfy but I wanted to have camp set up and be able to drive somewhere, but couldn't do that without closing up the RTT. I also didn't like how much weight I carried just for a few days at the lake or a weekend trail ride, to me it seemed like a lot of excess for a short trip, my longer adventures are mostly solo fishing/hunting trips and rarely spend a lot of time in camp
So my solution after a lot of questioning and advice from folks on this forum I made a decision that if I could sell my truck I would strip all the gear off and sell it and go back to a simpler way of camping. I ended up trading for a jeep and quickly realized the lack of cargo space and I am still in the planning stage of what to bring and how to carry it but I really am happy with my choice.
For family trips we will take our 8 passenger Sequoia and get a tent trailer, our family trips are mostly in the summer months and we don't take any trails rougher than forest service roads, it will work well for us because the kids are still young enough they actually like spending time with us.
As for my solo trips I am going to keep my backpacking tent and sleeping gear in a waterproof duffle and my camp kitchen will be light weight backpacking style equipment in a pelican case, all this and any additonal gear for hunting or fishing will fit on a roof rack or inside the jeep. Packing my gear this way will make it easy to load the jeep for a weekend trip.
I hope this helps you in your decision, I know I am disapointed that my truck didn't work out for me like I had planned but I am looking forward to a simpler way of camping and I can now do trail rides and not have the extra 1000 pounds of gear.

hugh

Observer
I am on my 3rd trailer. It started with a CJ7 and an open short trailer on 35,s. It would fill up with tree debris from the trail and when it rained everything would get wet. So I built an enclosed box on it about 4 feet high. Much better and now on those weekend off road trips space was no longer an issue, the 7 had very little storage room. Well then I built up a Cherokee and discovered this forum and got interested in expedition style off roading and camping. The 7 and its trailer were sold and I am now building a small camping trailer that is insulated with sleeping room for 2 or even 3 in a pinch. It is a bit over 8 feet long inside, 5 feet wide and 5 foot 2 inches high. I think it weighs around 1400 lbs and on 31,s will follow the Cherokee on 35,s anywhere and is ready at a moments notice to head out. Its small, the stock mirrors work great, its only about 1 foot or so higher than the Jeep. That way your vehicle can be ready to go trail riding by just un-hooking and even though RTT,s are cool, around here they would not be optimal for trails because of low branches, etc. Having said that my trailer will require care and caution also since the main structure is wood and I want to avoid scratching it as much as possible. Having tented all my life this trailer should be great, so consider something like that as one option.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Hey Darryl,

I know for sure the tent I would get would have the changing room and the ladder that comes inside the tent like the ARB Simpson II or the eziawn thats on AT's sight

Yes I am pretty convinced I will get a trailer. It's now just a timing of when and which one.

I really like the side access to storage of the Horizon and the Compact. There are some cool M416 builds which to me are similar to the Chaser, but no side access. However you can get to stuff from the back.

So my wish list I am developing is

Can take 33 or 35" tires. I think that rules out the Compact without some serious modification

Brakes (Not sure if the compact has them)

ability to add water tank and electrical set-up - Think I can do this on any of them

RTT that has the ladder come up inside the tent with a changing room. Be nice if it was big enough for a cot in the room like the compact

I want to run Toyota Rims so I don't need to put a spare on it.

I don't weld, so getting a trailer and welding isn't something I can do now. Maybe take some classes and expand my tool kit. But I do know how to add custom modifications with custom wiring, plumbing etc

Lot more reserach to do, but I have to sell the Baja before I can pull the trigger on anything. Doubt AT would take it as a trade in :D

Thanks for the great resource and the feeling of welcome to a newbie in this area.

Oh, and I can always find a safe way to have my glass of Crown R and a good Cigar :D

Ken
I have 33's on my trailer now and lug pattern for a toyota tundra. I even went as far as changing out the wheel studs to 12mm1.5 to match the trucks studs.The trailer does have electric brakes that is an option to get,nose box,led lighting,fuel cans and holders,ezi awn series 3 1800 tent and the awning. Iwill add a fridge and maybe the water tank later.

DSC01879.jpg

DSC01854.jpg

DSC01855-1.jpg

DSC01878.jpg

Strizzo

Explorer
tough decision... luckily i don't have the space to keep a trailer so i don't have your dillema.

i will take the oasis II off your hands if you buy one though...

Romer

Adventurer
I have done a lot of reading on all the great trailers here. AT has done a great job in posting all their specs, but I couldn't find anything on lheight, ength and width of the Compact.

It would be great to see a picture or the two next to each other to see how they look in comparison relative to size.

Anyone have one?

Romer

Adventurer
Hey Phil, Nice to see you here man. But thats not my question

I am not looking for a trailer to wheel the gnarly stuff, Just looking for something better suited for me than the Baja since the kids are out. Nothing says "the lonley guy" like a guy camping in a camper with a King and Queen bed by himself. Sure sometimes I go with buddies.

Even though the the AT did the Rubicon, I did it the Rubicon and would not take a trailer on it. Thats why I am also keeping the Oasis II RTT for when I go over night on gnarly trails.

Instead of hauling the Baja to Moab, Blackhills and some Colorado spots, I would take this instead. Thinking it would give me the capability to take it on a few more runs as well.

Besides Phil, you know me I have a supercharger and 4.88's, that little thing wouldn't slow me down. If I can do Eisenhower Tunnel at 55 with the Baja, then I could maintain 65 easily with either one of these trailers.

Still evaluating my options and one is to just keep the Jayco Baja

Romer

Adventurer
So why you guys are mulling that over, I cant find a listing for how much clearance there is underneath on the compact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior