sound deadening material

simple

Adventurer
What thickness of Ensolite are you guys using? 1/4" seems to be priced about the same as the Thinsulate.

SrPatron

I gutted my van and sprayed 10 gal of Second skin. The thicker you lay it on the quieter it gets. Now it's like driving a luxury vehicle.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
what're y'all using in doors with windows? i've got the inner panels out of the savana side & back doors, and there's enough light coming through the door stop & weep holes to read by. dynamat i'm not concerned about with wind driven moisture, but i don't know what to use for insulation. ensolite & neoprene will probably hold water/ mold.

Why not just fill with this?

Window and Door Insulating Foam Sealant

soundauto

At our car audio shop we use mainly Hushmat. The major advantage with their product is that it is shipped flat packed in easy to use sizes. I have found products that are shipped tri-folded leave more waste from the 2 bands of wrinkles down the middle being harder to work with. Hushmat also requires less surface prep than other products we have used. In most of our jobs we do a layer of mat material followed by a layer of foam on vertical panels. On floors we will sometimes double up problem areas like transmission tunnels, areas over catalytic converters and mufflers for further heat barrier.
For high end jobs we go to Cascade Audio Engineering products. They have a VB-3 floor barrier is two layers of 1/8" neoprene foam that sandwich a lead core. Their VB-TSM is great for problem heat areas. It is made up of a couple layers of foam isolated by a thick vinyl barrier, topped with a aluminized mylar.

When it comes to car audio & electronics we say "More isn't better, better is better." However, with sound deadening and thermal management, as long as you are using good products the more you have the better you will be. While you are trying to keep out sound and heat is is also to remember the things in your vehicle that make their own sounds. We have all heard the ring of our door/cabin when our significant other slams the door shut, or when a sliding door is opened or closed. How loud it is when the rain is beating on your roof? Adding more material to your panels changes the resonant frequency to help eliminate the "ring" of the vehicles interior while it helps to keep outside noises to a minimum. The noise of the interior space itself need to be addressed as well. Soft surfaces like a headliner or flooring soak tons of noise.

Lexus makes on of these quietest vehicles on the road. Taking apart one of their interiors you will find materials applied directly to the metal, inches of molded foam under the carpets, interior trim panels that are made of thicker plastics with a lot of soft surfaces. Lexus door panels are some of the heaviest I have ever seen. All of this works together to make a very quiet car. Since vans and trucks are not manufactured this way we need to add mass to the body and interior trim along with all the other neat trciks we have learned along the way to quiet them down.

Nobody realizes how much vibration & heat add to drivers fatigue until it is gone. Spend 6 or 7 hours straight driving in a fully deadened vehicle and you will get out of your seat feeling more awake and fresh every time.

fog cutter

Adventurer
I've heard those construction type spray foams have chemicals in them that will cause your vehicle to rust from the inside out. Auto paint supplies have automotive spray foam like the stuff the factory uses, but of course it's more expensive.

it's not the cost at this point, it's what will work long term. maybe i didn't describe the problem/ concern adequately. who is going to spray a cavity full of mechanical rods, hinges and electrics with something which would either hamper proper operation or render troubleshooting impossible? doesn't make sense to me. but then i've heard of putting sawdust into a transmission to quiet it down for a quick sale, too.

i gotta plan - but the doors are on the back burner until everything else gets done inside.

ert01

Adventurer
My van interior was spray foamed back in 2002 when the van left Quigley and came to Canada. Interiors of door panels were also done.

I don't know what type of spray foam was used but it was done by a van outfitting company. It hasn't contributed to any rust issues and all door hinges/locks etc have worked fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger