Spacekap camper question

granthendry1956

Most SpaceKaps I’ve sourced are for an 8’ regular pickup. So they are probably on the vicinity of 5-6’ at the widest part of the shell. However the majority of them are designed to fit between the wheel wells in a truck box and I’ve seen dimensions anywhere from 48-50” for that span. I’m eyeballing the Mory Master 60. (pic attached). Imagine it without the ladder racks. The 8’ version weighs in at just under 500lbs

Attachments

• IMG_2795.jpeg
    IMG_2795.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 8

granthendry1956

I had a similar thought, but could not find a camper that fit my trailer. I would have to build the trailer to fit the dimensions of the camper. If you started with a truck bed and made that in to a trailer it would be much easier to fit the camper. It would be much easier to fit most any component, but it wouldn't be inexpensive....
I agree about the truck bed as a starting place but I think that’s overkill for what I envision. I still have to convince my CFO(👩‍💼) that this is a good idea.

granthendry1956

Haha. I have followed Joel and his build. Some great stuff in there and certainly was an option I had considered strongly. There’s also a couple that have built what they call a Rescue Wagon.
https://youtu.be/LtQ65PInDes?si=j_ItjkfsMcotP3l9

Again, great stuff but I’m a firm believer in the KISS principle. 95% of the time it’ll be just me and my fly gear. Thanks for the link though. Might do with a quick re-watch!

screwball48

Explorer
Not mine but a photo I have had saved for a while. This is close to what you are looking to do. Brand FX fiberglas bed slide in on a surplus gen trailer.

Attachments

• D30DBC89-E534-406A-AC62-F67E5E3009B2.jpeg
    D30DBC89-E534-406A-AC62-F67E5E3009B2.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 16

granthendry1956

Not mine but a photo I have had saved for a while. This is close to what you are looking to do. Brand FX fiberglas bed slide in on a surplus gen trailer.
Yep! That’s more or less exactly what I’m envisioning. Not sure what the dimensions are of the box or the trailer but at least it’s a proof of concept. Do you remember where you found the pic? Was there any interior shots? Thanks for this. Now the big question remains, why don’t we see more?

screwball48

Explorer
The trailer in that photo appears to be from the M116 surplus gen trailer family. Below is the link from Mud where I think I found the photo.

Last edited:

granthendry1956

Thanks! That’s a great description of his build. Lots of photos. I’m getting the impression he’s using it as a trailer to haul stuff rather than a place to sleep in. Not 100% sure. I’d forgot about the MUD group. I’ll have to spend some time checking them out. It’s a long winter so that’ll give me something to do. Thanks for sharing. IF I decide to go ahead I’ll put some pics up. Hopefully it’ll look something like the one I attached early on on this thread.
Stay safe!

jeff s

Brand fx utility topper is what I'm planning on for a build. Ive been kicking around the idea for a while and came across one on a homemade trailer for $600. Unfortunately the trailer is not going to work for me because I plan on just using the cap part of the topper. Will be building my own trailer frame with 32'' walls to mount the cap to. This will give more head room inside. I'll try and post pics later.

granthendry1956

Brand fx utility topper is what I'm planning on for a build. Ive been kicking around the idea for a while and came across one on a homemade trailer for $600. Unfortunately the trailer is not going to work for me because I plan on just using the cap part of the topper. Will be building my own trailer frame with 32'' walls to mount the cap to. This will give more head room inside. I'll try and post pics later.
Very intereted in seeing how this works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998