Spacekap Diablo 6 Build

simple

Adventurer
I feel ya. Hoping to set mine up so I can still have bed space to haul wood dump ******** etc. do you have supports in bed of the truck or is it just laying on the bed. I’m wondering if the floor needs more support in between the truck bed and the unit.
Spacekap made a frame system that goes between the truck and shell and mounting plates specific to my vehicle model.

jrubicon

would you be so kind as to please measure the width of the cab over? I know this is tapered but just knowing the general width will help me alot. i am 5'6" and im hoping i can fit in it left to right.

Attachments

• neoprene and hull liner.jpg
    neoprene and hull liner.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 32

simple

Adventurer
would you be so kind as to please measure the width of the cab over? I know this is tapered but just knowing the general width will help me alot. i am 5'6" and im hoping i can fit in it left to right.
The shell is roughly 69" at the wide part and 2' back its 64". I added insulation so mine is less than that.

Jonnyo

Observer

Mine is 66 inches at the cabover (1.5’’ insulation each side) but i cut the ‘’retaining wall’’ and gained about 3.5’’ inch of height. So my bed slide out from the cabover and end up been a nice 75’’X68’’ so bigger then a short queen and still have about 24’’ of head room above the mattress

Attachments

• IMG_8017.jpeg
    IMG_8017.jpeg
    827.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8011.jpeg
    IMG_8011.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55

Barkeater

Thanks for the great write up, responses and beta on the build issues. Spacekap has been on my short list of DIY camper build options. I’ve been wanting to see one in person but your experience is very helpful to at least set expectation.

Did you considered building the main bed using the cab over space with a removal extension into main area? I was thinking sleeping with your feet over the cab would be too claustrophobic.

Also, for those with questions on dimensions, the attached drawings might help.

Attachments

• SKD6 3.0 General dimensions.PDF
    2.2 MB · Views: 12

Larry-Cleveland

It seems like we have several Spacekap builds starting. I should start mine in May (8'). It would be nice to see what you guys have done. I am still buying parts. Looking for windows now.

How much material was needed to cover the walls?

simple

Adventurer
Thanks for the great write up, responses and beta on the build issues. Spacekap has been on my short list of DIY camper build options. I’ve been wanting to see one in person but your experience is very helpful to at least set expectation.

Did you considered building the main bed using the cab over space with a removal extension into main area? I was thinking sleeping with your feet over the cab would be too claustrophobic.

Also, for those with questions on dimensions, the attached drawings might help.
I considered an elevated pull out bed platform in the nose but decided the low headroom would be claustrophobic.

simple

Adventurer
It seems like we have several Spacekap builds starting. I should start mine in May (8'). It would be nice to see what you guys have done. I am still buying parts. Looking for windows now.

How much material was needed to cover the walls?
I don't remember off hand how many yards of fabric and insulation I used.

Jonnyo

Observer
I considered an elevated pull out bed platform in the nose but decided the low headroom would be claustrophobic.
that is what i went with, elevated platform in the Nose. After cutting the lip, no insulation under the mattress and only 1 inch of insulation in the ceilling of the cabover, i found it was actually not bad in there but it s definitily not as much clearance as a normal truck camper. I find the little window at the front are nice when your head lay there…. Make it less coffin like!

Attachments

• IMG_8114.jpeg
    IMG_8114.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8112.jpeg
    IMG_8112.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29

Larry-Cleveland

I plan to do the pullout bed too. I have been in tents that were that small. :)

Does your front window also open?
Does it leak when driving in the rain?
What make is it? I am in the window planning stage right now.

Did you put in a passthrough window too?

Jonnyo

Observer
I plan to do the pullout bed too. I have been in tents that were that small. :)

Does your front window also open?
Does it leak when driving in the rain?
What make is it? I am in the window planning stage right now.

Did you put in a passthrough window too?

If you mean about my post, the front window are the spacekap brand one that come stock with the unit. They dont leak and dont open either. I added side windows (artic terns). The front is a passthrow that goes to the truck. No window. It s permanently open and much bigger then any window.

Attachments

• IMG_8004.jpeg
    IMG_8004.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18

Larry-Cleveland

That's a big passthrough :) I bet the kids use it.

I would like to put a small opening window up in the top nose and a passthrough.

I picked up a window for the back door. The doors are not as flat as they look. Will need to make some kind of shims. Did you have that problem with the side windows?

Jonnyo

Observer
for the side window…while it s not 100% flat, once you start cranking the window and the rim…. It those push the fiberglass and force it to match the window so a flat window work in most cases. The rear door are stiffer tho so i m not sure if it will work as well, depend how tall is your window.

Larry-Cleveland

The back window is about 18" tall. How tall are your side windows?

The back door has an external and internal panel so it is at least twice as thick as the sides. I do not think it is going to flex at all. Maybe cut the inner panel larger so the window is just on the external panel. Hmmmm...

Got my MaxFan last night. Do a bit of rewiring and add it to the install pile. :)

Jonnyo

Observer
The back window is about 18" tall. How tall are your side windows?

The back door has an external and internal panel so it is at least twice as thick as the sides. I do not think it is going to flex at all. Maybe cut the inner panel larger so the window is just on the external panel. Hmmmm...

Got my MaxFan last night. Do a bit of rewiring and add it to the install pile. :)

There is still some gives in the rear panel. I installed a diesel heater vertically on that door and while it s a double panel fiberglass into a sandwitch composite, mine still had a little bit of flexibility. I guess you wont know until you try it.

Sides have A LOT of flexbility, they are simple 1/4 thick panel and you can definitly make them mold to the window.

No roof fan for me, i m going for 400w of solar on the roof so need all the room i can get

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12