Sportsmobile Fuso

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I mentioned before that I thought their cabinet construction was SIP, but I should reiterate I'm not 100% on that. I remember years ago at an RV show they had cutaway samples of the floor and wall sections. I thought that they said that the cabinets were built in the same way for strength and weight savings. But I could be wrong. Maybe it was just the countertops?

Also, for those of you, like me, considering a DIY project, be ware that the early Trailmanors were stick built. They phased in a SIP approach over several years, starting in the late 90's and into the 2000's. So be wary of earlier models. IIRC during the first part of this phase-in they built some trailers that had stick framed lower walls and SIP upper walls. I remember seeing a discussion on the phase-in on a Trailmanor forum, and it seems even Trailmanor can't tell exactly when they changed. Probably had a bunch of stock to use up, and phased in the construction change as they used up stock over several years.

Dust intrusion would be a big concern for me, as well. There are a lot of gaps to seal.

Especially on one of the 'two ended' models. Since the upper walls have to overlap when they fold, there is about a 3" gap on one end when the walls are up. Factory trailers have a heavy duty nylon flap that velcros over the gap, but I think one would want to come up with something better. I've seen on Trailmanor forums where people talked about stuffing pool noodles in the gap in cold weather.

Also, someone mentioned getting a used one for about $3k. Man, that would be a steal. I've been looking for a used 2619 or 2720 for years, and the typical selling price for a good used one is about $10k. I recently found one in south Texas for $4800 that would have been a great deal, but couldn't put the funds together before it was snapped up by someone else.

IIRC, YMMV, and all that.

Oh, and one more thought. If you are looking for a 2720 'project,' Trailmanor makes/made 'sport' models with a spartan interior, with no bathroom, etc.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
1993 TrailManor travel trailer - $2000 (Clifton, Gouldsboro)

1993 TrailManor travel trailer, Hard shell pop up, lite weight only 4000 loaded, Heat, A/C, water heater, can sleep 6, Stove w/oven, Power lift on tongue, Recirculating toilet. Call 570-842+9780 or Cell phone at 570-241-7291. Inspected.

http://poconos.craigslist.org/rvs/3012653351.html

You can find the photos on the link also.

Edit:Sure that thing is not the nicest camper we have ever seen, but when you look at the European overland gatherings most of the rigs are very old. I figure that a smaller amount of money invested means more fuel and food money on the road.

Anyhow, I am just saying they are out there for that price. If they are stick construction, well, that is not altogether horrible. Also we have seen several threads on slide outs, and lift roof style, overland trucks. I am sure that it could be easy enough to work out a brush over brush, or rubber flap etc that could do the job for you.

Sure, but when it's up, it will interfere with the roof/bed, so it would have to be lowered each time before raising the roof, and raised each time before getting under way.

Oh yeah, well sure, but it was the point to be able to bring both, not to be able to stow one and use the other. I reckon that is a price I would be willing to pay. For me it is a vehicle to play with when I feel like it, to scout with when I need to, and to escape with if I get stuck. :)

Last edited:

Jonny

Observer
The overall size is definitely something that can be important on a trail...part of the reason for the pop-up style design. I was just sent this photo that shows a good comparison of the Fuso camper in relation to the Ford Sportsmobiles.

gccrew.JPG

IMG_5756.jpg

-Jonny

Jonny

Observer
SkiFreak...The photo of the Ford van was sent by a Sportsmobile customer and looked like the same place as the picture of the Fuso posted by Haven. It looks like the Fuso would fit without a problem.

DzlToy

Explorer
doubt seriously that little fiberglass pop up camper is up to the task of anything other than a pot holed paved road.

Saw this rig at OvEX and very disappointed. Looked at Earthcruiser too and theirs is very nice, but not for 225,000 dollars.

There should be something in the middle IMO, a 10-12 foot box on the back of an FG that is built like an Earthromer.

The 2012 FG that I drove rode like an ox cart and had ******** for power. You cant do the EGR/DPF deletes like on the 1 ton pickups we have here.

There is no aftermarket for lockers or gears or really any accessories at all. The bumper on the one at OvEx was awful and it really looked like it had been thrown together for the show. Not a good way to present your product to people from all over the world. Take the time to do it right or dont bother doing it at all IMO. I think SM makes a good product in general based on the vans I saw at the show, but this FG just didnt do anything for me.

Anyone can buy an FG and put a pop up camper on the bed, you dont need SM for that. Maybe style and fit/finish is not important to everyone but I was not impressed, sorry guys...

Colby Jack

Traveler
I'm not crazy about the popped up version of this project, but love the stealthy look when it's down. I want more info on the service body! I think that if this truck and camper were to vertically pop up, it would be a sweeeeet setup!!!

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I am sure this will generate some interest. Last week at the SMB factory. Photos posted with SMB's permission. Planned launch will be next years OvEx but hopefully there will be some appearances before that.

image.jpg

image.jpg

A Razzle training SMB staff in the assembly techniques that we have developed especially for this project.

Note the second unit in the background awaiting final assembly.... Sides and roof are shipped loose.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
That is MUCH more what I was expecting out of SMB when they said fuso.

Looking forward to seeing the thing. Too bad you really can not drive the thing outside of North America unless it is a petrol engine...Still there are a lot of great trails to drive and see here in the USA and Canada.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Awesome!
Good things are going to come out of the ATW/SMB partnership.
Truck Trend had an article on SMB's Bravo Camper.
Great link with lots of information and photos of the Bravo.
-
. . . and with the dry weight of the first concept Bravo completed tipping the scales at 7900 pounds, this means a total cargo for fuel, water, and gear of 6150 pounds.
It is interesting and great that they were able to keep the overall weight so low. 7900 lbs is a great empty weight.
-
For those units that are shipped to countries that permit them, a low/high range transfer case is also available
Humm, I was under the impression no two-speed transfer case on the new Fusos. Nice to hear ‘were permitted(?)' you can get them?
-
All Terrain Warriors USA teamed up with All Terrain Warriors of Australia, where the suspension and single rear wheels measure 35.4 inches tall and are rated at 6395 pounds at 110 psi. <snip> This change configuration doesn't compromise the Fuso chassis warranty, nor does the replacement suspension that Australian All Terrain Warriors developed for this Fuso chassis compromise the Fuso warranty.
Interesting about SRW not a warranty issue with Mitsubishi. ATW sure has done their work to make the Aussie-government types happy with the modifications they do, but now every Mitsubishi is happy?
-
The integrity of the 33-gallon factory fuel tank has not been compromised. Instead, a 30-gallon auxiliary diesel fuel tank has been added mid-center, underneath the chassis. The aux tank becomes the fuel source for everything except the factory diesel truck engine. If fuel is needed to operate the truck engine, an electric transfer pump and a handheld nozzle delivers pumped fuel from the aux tank to the fill cap of the main truck chassis tank.
Interesting set-up for the auxiliary fuel tank. I've always liked the between the frame rails for placement for protection both from terrain and accidents (I'd rather have my fuel inside the frames and water outside). I'm sure the new Fuso's DPF system had something to do with dictating that location. Using a transfer pump and hand nozzle to move fuel is interesting. There is nothing wrong with that, and very handy for filling jerry cans, etc.
-
The estimated MSRP of the Bravo model will be between $125,000 and $150,000, depending on options
FYI

lndhark

Adventurer
What about the lack of low range in the current model Canter? I like the concept of the COE, diesel engine and cool factor, but without low range, it really can't (should?) go to the places where I'd want to take it.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Here are some more progress pics......please note that these are also on the Sportsmobile section of the forum.

DSC00190.JPG

DSC00195.JPG

DSC00196.JPG

DSC00200.JPG

DSC00203.JPG

Regards John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78